Top 10 built areas discussion

For the discussion of general topics about the game.
Caelnai
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Top 10 built areas discussion

Post by Caelnai » Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:08 pm

Top-side EuroMenzo is what I've been waiting for...

Scratching my curiosity here....but where we are going with these polls? Some of these areas are currently under construction by -volunteer- builders (or in one case already built). An area makes top ten you going to take it away from the current builder? Or just put hot coals to our feet? :lol:
Arnof
Sword Journeyman
Sword Journeyman

Re: Top 10 areas to be built VOTE NOW

Post by Arnof » Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:37 pm

My personal hope for the areas listed that are actually "in progress" is that there will be additional discussion about adding members to the team or something to that affect. If nothing else, if your area ends up appearing as one of the hot ones players are looking for, hopefully you're open to support from those of us that are willing to help.

B
Gwain
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Gwain » Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:29 pm

I'd agree and say that it allows the administration to know what areas are most desired and if possible to drum up interest and maybe aid in completing them. Volunteering aside, many hands make light work.
Justice is not neccesarily honourable, it is a tolerable business, in essence you tolerate honour until it impedes justice, then you do what is right.

Spelling is not necessarily correct :)
Caelnai
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Caelnai » Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:37 pm

umm...when have builders ever turned down help? I'm signed up to help hardcode a half dozen projects (some listed above!) where the lead designers are busy with RL, just lost interest, or people who volunteered never came through...

I'm not trying to be argumentative here, but in the past the answer to "When is such and such going to be in game?" has always been "When it gets done!" If nine people want "Baldur's Gate" in the game, why haven't they organized themselves, joined the builder's forum and got cracking?

Anyway I hope I don't seem down on this "Top Ten" project or the hard work that's gone into it! It's interesting to see where the playerbase's interests are. I really enjoyed the brainstorming and ideas on these threads...but personally for most of these polls I can't pick between the apples and oranges. It's hard to know what is behind the scenes in terms of balance/mechanics/etc unless you're the one actually wading in to do the work.
Enig
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Enig » Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:16 am

Seriously, Cael, knock it off man.

Okay, but really; we're all willing to give you the benefit of the doubt about your projects and we're all very much appreciative of the hard work you're willing to put into them and into the MUD in general so I can only hope that you would have the same respect for other people who are only doing their best to improve the MUD as they see fit, too.

Regardless of what's cracking and what's not, what's in progress and what's not, it's still good to know what the playerbase wants. Just with this thread alone, even if some of the areas are 99.99% complete and therefore beyond the need for additional help there are things that can be done for them (the particular areas) if they prove to be popular. I'm thinking things like events for the new area, branch areas off the new area, or even looking for additional areas like the new area that could be built, ie. if Athkatla is popular, maybe someone could start building Trademeet, too.

I'd like to think I hear where you're coming from but you shouldn't necessarily construe this as a personal jab or an attempt to get you to work faster or anything. Best to take it for what it is, a bit of information gathering, and to just chill out, I think :)
Caelnai
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Caelnai » Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:45 am

umm...contrary to what you and Mele seem to think, I'm not upset. (Heck no one's even voted for any area I'm building.) I was just genuinely curious about what seemed to be a shift from a previous policy and wondering what it was all about.

But no prob, I'll stop asking questions and just go back to building areas no one one wants to visit. :lol:

(umm...the above was a joke. JOKE.)
Lathander
Staff
Staff

Post by Lathander » Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:12 am

Civility people. No one is forcing anything here. By having a list of priorities, we can all see what people want. If you are a builder and still a member of the FK community, no one is going to force you to build. We appreciate your volunteer service. If anything on the list is a high priority and the builder is no longer part of the community, we can see about letting someone else take over.

Builders can benefit from the list though. If a builder has multiple items on the list, he/she can learn what the community desires most and CONSIDER making it a priority. I am sure there are no ill intentions with this list.
Lathander,
Commander of Creativity
Ocius
Sword Bumbler
Sword Bumbler

Post by Ocius » Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:54 am

Civility means it's ok for game staff members to tell someone to basically shut up when they ask a question? Unless you're all reading something I didn't, Cael did say she appreciated the thread and was just asking what was going to be done with the results.

I was wondering the same thing about the bug and game suggestions threads. I can't decide on one vote because there are just too many good ideas there. "Apples and oranges" is a good way to describe!
Kallias
Sword Master
Sword Master

Post by Kallias » Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:16 am

This is the first time something like this has ever happened in my 5 years...and it's a very good thing, to know what the player's want. Let's just all forget about the last 5 posts and keep contributing with our wants as a playerbase.

We're all adults, we all understand different perspectives, let's focus on the positive: "players' wants are being requested!"
Lysha
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Lysha » Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:54 am

People really want Baldur's Gate it seems! :D
Your punch viciously hammers a shark's abdomen.
A shark is stunned, but will probably recover.

http://www.elfonlyinn.net/d/20070925.html
Ocius
Sword Bumbler
Sword Bumbler

Post by Ocius » Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:17 am

Kallias wrote:Let's just all forget about the last 5 posts and keep contributing with our wants
What about the wants contributed in those 5 posts? Who was telling people not to vote or contribute on the poll? I just see people telling people not to post. Oh maybe the'll be a vote next to see who gets to post and ask questions? Maybe people are so happy to babble their opinions and judgements about other people that they don't care what the plan is to do with it all in the end, but i don't seem to be the only one wondering.
Kallias
Sword Master
Sword Master

Post by Kallias » Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:37 am

Do you email the rasmussen report with these sort of eruptions as well? It's just a poll, chill dude.
Raona
Staff
Staff

Post by Raona » Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:52 am

The intent of this project is as Lathander neatly laid out: we wanted to think about priorities, and we "staff" peeps realized that we may not have our finger on the "pulse of the nation" as well as we might hope! Moreover, just making these lists made everyone think about priorities in a good way: long-term, rather than immediate crisis.

The project was seeded by the over-arching question of where we should focus our limited time and energy, but we decided to break it out somewhat, into specific categories, in hopes of gaining a more nuanced appreciation of what the playerbase would like to see the most. Building having been broken out as one of those sub-categories shouldn't be taken as an indication of any plans to change the way building is done - the motivation here is purely to understand what the playerbase would most like to see (and perhaps we'll ask about why, if we are surprised)!

Mele has put a lot of work into this, so please be respectful of that as well...vote your mind!
Lathander
Staff
Staff

Post by Lathander » Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:18 pm

Civility means it's ok for game staff members to tell someone to basically shut up when they ask a question?
As most people on FK can attest, I don't often respond to these kinds of accusations because I find them counter-productive. For some strange reason I feel compelled to do so here. I went through and read the entire thread looking for evidence to support the above quote. Please identify where in this thread any game staff member has told anyone to "shut up."
I just see people telling people not to post.
I can't find support for this assertion either. Please identify where this has occurred within the thread.
Lathander,
Commander of Creativity