Antimagic Shell + Globe of Invulnerability

For the discussion of general topics about the game.
Enig
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Antimagic Shell + Globe of Invulnerability

Post by Enig » Sat Aug 22, 2009 7:48 pm

So I've done a bit of testing with these spells and for the life of me I can't figure out what, if anything, they actually do. It's been like this for an awfully long time so I finally figured I'd up and ask; what do the rest of you guys think?

Without going into specifics, is there something I'm missing here or are these just cool ways to waste spell components?

I was thinking that if the latter is true then maybe these spells should be disabled until they can be put into proper working order to avoid confusion and wasted time, especially for new players.
Kallias
Sword Master
Sword Master

Re: Antimagic Shell + Globe of Invulnerability

Post by Kallias » Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:42 pm

If they do do anything, it's nothing that I'm able to perceive. It may be something like if someone dispels you, the dispel removes less affects...but I'm not certain. Even if it doesn't do anything, I'd suggest leaving it in game, so you can train it in anticipation of when it does do something.

I've noticed in FK a major balance issue is that save levels seem to be no where near the ball park of caster DC. So it could be that these spells do, in fact, increase your saving throws, but do so in an amount that still doesn't really do anything of substance.

The only time I ever save against anything seems to be against bandits, ghouls, and traps. This is a large reason casters are so effective in game...nothing ever makes their saves.
Sithiel
Sword Journeyman
Sword Journeyman

Post by Sithiel » Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:16 am

But that is kind of like it is in canon, If someone throws a lightning bolt at you, you usually take major damage. Unless you are Drizzt or Jarlaxle of course.

Edit: In response to Kallias's post.
Sithiel Greenleaf, Moonlight Ranger
Nadaun, Beshaba's Bard
Kallias
Sword Master
Sword Master

Post by Kallias » Sun Aug 23, 2009 2:48 pm

In canon there are 9238423903429023 items that directly increase your saves, with almost none that increase a caster dc.
Sithiel
Sword Journeyman
Sword Journeyman

Post by Sithiel » Sun Aug 23, 2009 5:02 pm

Kallias wrote:In canon there are 9238423903429023 items that directly increase your saves, with almost none that increase a caster dc.
I was actually not raferring to tabletop, but rather the FR books
Sithiel Greenleaf, Moonlight Ranger
Nadaun, Beshaba's Bard
Skeas
Sword Master
Sword Master

Post by Skeas » Sun Aug 23, 2009 6:06 pm

I believe the topic (and sub-board in general) relate directly to tabletop/like mechanics.
Zorinar murmurs 'We need a fighter if we ever attempt that again'
Anya murmurs 'If Christoph were around, he'd be enough, I'd be willing to bet.'
Solaghar
Staff
Staff

Post by Solaghar » Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:29 am

The spells don't actually currently do anything, it's a holdover from the switch over from the old resistance categories to the new ones. Antimagic shell used to give you a big resistance to 'magic' and globe of invulnerability used to, I believe, give you resistances to a bunch of non-magic damages like bashing, slashing, etc. What these spells actually do in tabletop had nothing to do with their effects here however. Because they were nothing like their actual tabletop spells they weren't brought over to the new system... they were meant to be coded to have the actual tabletop effects. I'd say just don't use them as they're pointless at the moment!