saddlebags!

A place to suggest new commands, feats, skills, ...
Alaudrien
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

saddlebags!

Post by Alaudrien » Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:18 pm

This one is straight and simple but...why not make it so people can toss them over there shoulders when not on there horses like you see in old western movies. You take it off your horse toss it over your right shoulder and walk around and such. <.<
I take only what I need and I need everything!

-Alyzlin
Kallias
Sword Master
Sword Master

Re: saddlebags!

Post by Kallias » Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:06 pm

I'd just do it with an emote.
Dalmil
Sword Novice
Sword Novice

Post by Dalmil » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:30 am

Or it could be coded to where the owner of the mount can just access the saddlebags while the mount is still wearing them.
-Dalmil the Magician
Skeas
Sword Master
Sword Master

Post by Skeas » Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:40 am

One way to do this would be to add into each horse's description that they are wearing a saddlebag, make their inventory much bigger, and do away with item-saddlebags for good. There would then be a set of commands:

petlist
petget
petgive

added much to the effect of 'buy' (only free) that worked only on a player's own minions, allowing them to "take" things from their "saddlebags" using one simple command. It would work out because if the system was anything like the "buy/sell" system, anything and everything given to the mob would be added to their list of things to "sell"

it would be easily done, plausible, and very beneficial to the majority of the pbase.
Zorinar murmurs 'We need a fighter if we ever attempt that again'
Anya murmurs 'If Christoph were around, he'd be enough, I'd be willing to bet.'
Kallias
Sword Master
Sword Master

Post by Kallias » Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:50 am

If it was like the shop system it would also reset along with the game.
Enig
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Enig » Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:11 pm

Just to put this out there, but the way that shops work is that particular mobs are determined to be shopkeepers via the area file and after that they just start selling everything in their inventory, so the only thing that caused shops to reset was the fact that the mobs and their inventory were being recreated, so to speak, after every reset. Obviously this isn't the case with pets though and I think that all mobs have persistent inventory now, so it wouldn't be a problem in general.

On the other hand, it doesn't sound like a simple and easy change to me. For sure it would have to be done via hard code and I get the feeling it wouldn't be as easy as just adding a few lines of code to the buy/sell stuff. Of course, this is just an uneducated opinion, so take it for what it's worth :P
Kirkus
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Kirkus » Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:45 pm

But its not plausible to have saddlebags codded into every horse. Not everyone is going to use saddlebags on a mount. The original idea behind the post was to make saddlebags wearable by players. That means either adding a location to characters or changing the layer of the saddlebag.

So either a new layer for characters, something for 'items slung/draped over the shoulder'
this could allow us to finally be able to wear capes while wearing packs.

or a simpler change to the saddlebag's layer it fits on.
I am ready to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter.
Lathlain
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Lathlain » Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:23 pm

The matter of additional wear locations is one that's been floated in the past. If memory serves (which, admitedly, it rarely does :wink:), the MUD is restricted to a certain pre-set number of maximum wear locations. If we wanted to add another, we'd need to remove an existing one to do so. Sad, really! A cloak slot, for example, would be a brilliant addition too.

Changing the saddlebag wear location to 'body' is certainly a feasible approach, though there are already other 'worn loosely' items that horses can wear on the body, such as stirrups for instance. It would be a shame to have to choose between them! Alternatively all saddlebags could be altered so you can wear them on the saddle or the body, but then you'd have to define where the horse should wear the item each time. There's also the matter of having to find every saddle bag in the game so far and altering them accordingly :P

It's a nice idea, but I'm afraid there would be problems implementing it in code. Of course if you want to make an area that just so happens to include a saddlebag with one of these options on it, I'm sure we could work something out!
"This is General Lath'lain Dy'nesir, of the Ebon Spur. Walking Murder surrounded by a thin veneer of civility."
-Miriel
Alaudrien
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Alaudrien » Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:11 am

truly! Cloak or shoulder wear slots wold be nice but it sucks how it's got the pre set max number! cloak pins for all!
I take only what I need and I need everything!

-Alyzlin