allowing customized use of metamagic feats

A place to suggest new commands, feats, skills, ...
Isolrem
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

allowing customized use of metamagic feats

Post by Isolrem » Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:46 pm

Current Syntax: CAST <spell name> <direction> <target(s)> <argument(s)>
New Syntax: CAST <metamagic> <spell name> <direction> <target(s)> <argument(s)>

Example:
cast empower 'magic missile' east dwarf
cast twin 'lightning bolt' zorinar
cast extend maximize 'stone skin'

NOTE: Obviously instances of a player typing out the whole line will be rare, these are meant to be used with aliases
NOTE2: This is not meant to replace the current system using combatmodes, but is meant to be a supplement

Basically, suppose my memorized spells looks like this:
Level 5 slots, (11/11) (Base:8, Item/Int Bonus:3)
shockshield dispel magic fireball
fireball fireball fireball
fireball fireball
Level 6 slots, (8/8) (Base:7, Item/Int Bonus:1)
invis fireball fireball
fireball fireball fireball
fireball fireball

I want to cast all of my lvl 6 fireballs maximized, all of my lvl 5 fireballs empowered. I want to cast my shockshield extended. I always want to be able to cast a still and silent dispel magic in a pinch if I get stunned, and I want to be able to cast a quickened invis to get out of trouble. In our current system using combatmodes, doing all of this requires a lot of delays and juggling, but you should be able to do all of this using a few aliases

alias ess cast extend 'shockshield'
alias efb cast empower 'fireball' %
alias mfb cast maximize 'fireball' %
alias ssdm cast still silent 'dispel magic' %
alias qinvis cast quicken 'invis' %

I believe implementing this new syntax will allow people to get more benefit from their metamagic feats (in particularly, currently it is really hard to take advantage of a number of different combat feats such as empower, maximize, and twin, at the same time) and all it really requires is a new way of parsing, which imo is not that difficult to write.
Chars: Aryvael et all.
Brodnur
Sword Master
Sword Master

Re: allowing customized use of metamagic feats

Post by Brodnur » Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:52 am

Not a bad idea, actually. I've got the combatmodes set to differing alias' so that, as you mentioned, it can be done quickly in a pinch. example, enlarge spell= enlon to turn on, enloff to turn off, and of course, keeping the spells mem'd at the required slot level. That way I can use them at the normal, unenhanced power, as well as having them buffed up using the metamagic feats.
Duranamir
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Duranamir » Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:05 am

As a player of several mages who also memorise spells to allow the use of metamgic feats i would support this change very much !!

Duranamir (who loves his twinned lightning bolts)
Tavik
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Tavik » Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:11 am

As long as you are using an alias, this is already possible. The & symbol allows you to incorporate multiple commands into a single alias. For example, if you wanted to spontaneously cast a quickened invis spell or a maximized fireball, the setup for the alias would be:

alias quinvis combatmode +quicken spell & c 'invis' % & combatmode -quicken spell
alias maxfire combatmode +maximize spell & c 'fireball' % & combatmode -maximize spell

Note: I tested these and they do work. Adding targets still works. You'll notice that the feat is turned back off before the spell is completed, but as long as the feat was turned on before you start casting, it will take effect regardless.
Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die. ~Mel Brooks
Isolrem
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Isolrem » Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:51 pm

Interesting... I always assumed that using multiple commands (i.e. adjusting combatmode + casting spell + resetting combatmode) carries too much delay to be applicable in combat. Unfortunately all my spellcasting chars are presently dead so I can't test this. Will report back soon.
Dalmil
Sword Novice
Sword Novice

Post by Dalmil » Fri Nov 20, 2009 5:25 am

I use aliases for my wizards that have metamagic feats as well. But if the new syntax was added, it would make things much easier and quicker.

Instead of having aliases for a myriad of spells with different metamagical feats attached to them, you could always just create one alias for each metamagic feat and leave them open-ended. Like:

alias qs = cast "quicken spell"

That way all you would have to type is qs invis and it would output to the game cast "quicken spell" invis.
-Dalmil the Magician
Sei
Sword Bumbler
Sword Bumbler

Post by Sei » Fri Nov 20, 2009 3:58 pm

One that may or may not work with targets could be

alias ts combatmode +twin & cast % & combatmode -twin
then you could...
ts 'fireball' enig
or
ts 'lightning bolt' enig

That way, a single alias could apply to any spell you cast. But this is untested, and may not work. Could someone maybe confirm or deny this?
Tavik
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Tavik » Sat Nov 21, 2009 6:44 am

Yes, that works too, but only if you remember to put the apostrophes around the spell name.
Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die. ~Mel Brooks
Isolrem
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Isolrem » Sat Nov 21, 2009 8:48 am

Just a quick warning that ts 'fireball' enig will hit gesine too, and then she will not be happy :roll:
Sei
Sword Bumbler
Sword Bumbler

Post by Sei » Sat Nov 21, 2009 12:17 pm

no, because gesine is grouped with me. we're going enig hunting, you see.