Preserve corpse

For the discussion of general topics about the game.
Cret
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Preserve corpse

Post by Cret » Mon Feb 23, 2004 1:34 am

preserve corpse:

This spell would alow the caster to lengthen the limit on how long a corpse will last before being scraped.

Reciently I and several others have been in an Rp where a corpse.. several infact were needed. Though shortly after starting them the corpses blew away. I wonder if a spell like this could be inacted.
Nysan
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Nysan » Mon Feb 23, 2004 6:47 am

I would like to agree. Occassionally, I have had a situation where my own corpse, or someone's I am carrying wastes away while in the desperate search for a priest or search for some component for this spell or that. A spell that prolongs the decay would be most helpful.

N.R.
-Gilain- -Trilev- -Siros-

You do not need to change the world, merely leave it a little better than how you found it.
Talon
Sword Bumbler
Sword Bumbler

Post by Talon » Wed Feb 25, 2004 5:07 am

I think this could be a nice little addition to the necromancer's list of gruesome spells. This way they could aslo RP that they are "experimenting" on the corpse and therefore need it to last longer.
Talon the Lucky Locksmith
Paxos

Post by Paxos » Wed Feb 25, 2004 7:56 pm

This spell, is, in fact a very low-level Necromancer/Cleric Domain spell found in the Third Edition publication 'Book of Vile Darkness.' I'll look it up when I get home, but I believe the spell is 0-level or 1st-level according to 3E and preserves organs or even corpses for an additional 24 hours per casting.
Nysan
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Nysan » Thu Feb 26, 2004 6:06 am

Yep, its there. And in personal experience, Muds and tabletops that I have played, spells or potions (embalming fluid and such) have done well. Allowing necros a nice little rp avenue to work with and as well as allowing those component or priest lacking people the time to find what they need.

N.R.
-Gilain- -Trilev- -Siros-

You do not need to change the world, merely leave it a little better than how you found it.
Paxos

Post by Paxos » Thu Feb 26, 2004 3:52 pm

I think the only big problem with a spell like this, when you think on a MUD level, is how many items would start getting created by Necromancers. People would preserve things left and right showing what kills they had, and this would add an enormous amount of objects to the MUD.

Therefore, this opens up the next thought...

What restrictions to put on a MUD form of this spell?

Paxos
Paskry

Post by Paskry » Thu Feb 26, 2004 7:30 pm

Paxos I can see where you are coming from, obviously you can't preserve a red dragon corpse with a single potion. On another avenue, if you preserved a yuan ti corpse from UM, then took it to the surface, the result would be: "Where did I get this body?" These are just a few problems I foresee.
Belose
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Belose » Fri Feb 27, 2004 6:01 am

I think that if you brought up a yuan-ti body, you wouldn't wonder WHY you had the body, you'd just forget WHERE you got it.... I think you can remember going there and coming out, just not where you've been while in there...and that's why everyone I go there with seems to keep visiting the same places a lot... it's sooooooo easy to get lost there...Lots of deja' vu experiences... :?
What the Mind of a man can conceive, the Will of a man can achieve.
Glim
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Glim » Fri Feb 27, 2004 2:07 pm

Perhaps a policy could be that you must destroy the corpse after your RP, be it raising someone from the dead or a necromancer disecting a corpse for creating a brain zombie :twisted:

I honestly dont think that would happen since corpses weigh pretty heavy and who wants to carry a bunch of corpses around.

(oh, and wouldnt it be code abuse to carry a red dragon corpse, considering its about 50x your size and weight :shock: )
Glim asks Gwain 'Can I be on the watch?!?'
Gwain raises an eyebrow.
Gwain seems to display a look of complete horror for a second...
Cret
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Cret » Fri Feb 27, 2004 8:32 pm

I was hoping NPC corpses could get it as well. Perhaps lengthining the timer to 30 min or so.. to alow any rp. Not to perminatly keep the corpse.
Gwain

Post by Gwain » Fri Feb 27, 2004 8:43 pm

If it were for npcs then make it castable once so if casted again it either fails or destroys the corpse?
Timaeus
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Timaeus » Fri Feb 27, 2004 9:35 pm

For player coprses I really can't see the point of this spell, the corpses last hours and hours now and remain through crashes certainly long enough to find a priest or friends to help someone recover their belongings. If someone actually picks up the corpse and logs off with it the timer stops as well and resumes when the person logs back on. I can see a roleplay use on mob corpses for necromancers and agree with Gwain that it should only be castable once per corpse.

Timaeus Valierius,
Warrior of Kelemvor.
Glim
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Glim » Sat Feb 28, 2004 12:13 am

Well, I think it would be good with PC corpses, mainly because of the RP involved or the like, such as player run funerals, its horrible when halfway through the funeral or RP the corpse decays. Also, doesnt it depend upon your level as to how long the corpse lasts?
Glim asks Gwain 'Can I be on the watch?!?'
Gwain raises an eyebrow.
Gwain seems to display a look of complete horror for a second...