Adding a third pet slot for player characters

A place to suggest new commands, feats, skills, ...
Gwain
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Adding a third pet slot for player characters

Post by Gwain » Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:51 am

I would like to suggest adding a pet only third slot for player character accounts. There are so many small pets in the mud to choose from, it seems a shame that the majority of pet slots are usually dedicated to mounts in general after a period of time. Having an option for a third, pet-sized only slot would allow players that are dedicated to their current mounts to have a space open for pet use. In my experience, pets are interchangeable on the mud, but after a while, as quests open up unique options, we very rarely abandon mount pets that are a bit more limited in roleplay capacity. By having the third slot, we can easily have two mounts and one pet for use.
Justice is not neccesarily honourable, it is a tolerable business, in essence you tolerate honour until it impedes justice, then you do what is right.

Spelling is not necessarily correct :)
Lysha
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Re: Adding a third pet slot for player characters

Post by Lysha » Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:23 am

I think this would help in the case of babies as well when they go from being an "object" to a MOB. Having three spots, one wouldn't have to give up a beloved pet or mount for their baby :D Just a suggestion, of course. ^_^;;;
Your punch viciously hammers a shark's abdomen.
A shark is stunned, but will probably recover.

http://www.elfonlyinn.net/d/20070925.html
Nysan
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Nysan » Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:21 am

Only one of my characters has 2 pets and his are all pack animals (can always use one more though). Still, I do see folks ride the pet limit here and there, especially when children RPs are concerned. It would be useful to expand the limit a little bit.
-Gilain- -Trilev- -Siros-

You do not need to change the world, merely leave it a little better than how you found it.
Harroghty
Staff
Staff

Post by Harroghty » Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:01 am

I raised this issue in September, 2008 and still believe that it would be a good move.

More pets is a good thing. The danger is people using more combat-oriented pets or mercenaries to their advantage and the solution that was agreed upon was simply to limit the size of the third pet.

See also Glim's CHA based suggestion (which is different, but could be applied to pets):
http://www.forgottenkingdoms.org//board ... 86&p=30722
"A man may die yet still endure if his work enters the greater work, for time is carried upon a current of forgotten deeds, and events of great moment are but the culmination of a single carefully placed thought." - Chime of Eons
Algon
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Algon » Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:17 pm

This discussion made me think of something. If you can have two pack animals as pets, why can you not have two carts that would attach to those pets? Just wondering. :)
Counting bodies like sheep...to the rhythm of the war drums. ~~~ Maynard
Nysan
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Nysan » Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:32 pm

Algon wrote:This discussion made me think of something. If you can have two pack animals as pets, why can you not have two carts that would attach to those pets? Just wondering. :)
Rough guess, but I'd say code limitations along the lines of why you shouldn't leave a cart in a store room. Though I know a certain dwarf that would love a second cart.

You do not need to change the world, merely leave it a little better than how you found it.
Algon
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Algon » Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:56 pm

Nysan wrote:
Algon wrote:This discussion made me think of something. If you can have two pack animals as pets, why can you not have two carts that would attach to those pets? Just wondering. :)
Rough guess, but I'd say code limitations along the lines of why you shouldn't leave a cart in a store room. Though I know a certain dwarf that would love a second cart.
Oh my Dwarf would kill to have a second one lol. One for mining and one for smithing...oh yeah!
Counting bodies like sheep...to the rhythm of the war drums. ~~~ Maynard
Dovan
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Dovan » Sat Apr 10, 2010 10:37 pm

I'm all for the idea of a third slot with a restriction of small / tiny. It'd be nice to have the smaller pets around while in the city like ferrets and what not (because they get eaten if you take them outside). Plus to echo a point, it leaves the slot open for those with children.
"One life; Win or lose it's all a bet,
One chance; Don't show fear and do not forget" -Simon's Symphony

-Dovan, Burning Blade of Luck
Aveline
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Aveline » Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:38 pm

I'm all for this. I love my RP pets, and in the past have had to give up a horse.. more utility type animal in order to be able to have the littler ones. I just worry about once people get three then they'll be asking for four.. then five.. But, I really do not think three is too many. Especially if you have restrictions on the type the third can be. Two carts would also be nice.. but I think that is a different discussion.
Casious
Sword Bumbler
Sword Bumbler

Post by Casious » Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:27 am

Do any of the summon spells put the summoned monster in the pet slot? For example, the druids' summon elemental? If so, I could see the addition of a third slot really good for them. If they have an animal companion, that is one slot, so they wouldnt be able to get a mount and still be able to cast their conjure elemental spell I would guess.

A third slot seems like a great idea!
Nysan
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Nysan » Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:26 am

Conjure elemental requires a pet slot. It will fail if the druid has two pets already. Yet another reason I would like a third slot, one restricted to tiny or summoned pets. Would be nice to have a horse and a pet on my druid and still be able to use my elementals.

Melusine
Staff
Staff

Post by Melusine » Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:26 am

I absolutely love this idea.. for all the reasons above. To be able to have more pets, for the children rps, and especially if it's limited to small pets only, it will be something dedicated to an rp, rather than a mount or battle-pet. Even more the better idea for animal-loving characters everywhere, not just your typical woodsy druids and rangers!

Anything that gives more rp has to be a good thing, right? And 3 is a balanced number.
Anastacia Syria, Truescar of Loviatar
Lathander
Staff
Staff

Post by Lathander » Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:51 pm

I support the idea of extra pets/mounts, but making the number contingent on one's Charisma stat.
Lathander,
Commander of Creativity
Gwain
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Gwain » Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:12 am

What is a good cieling for charisma-based pet allowance? Four might be a fair number.
Justice is not neccesarily honourable, it is a tolerable business, in essence you tolerate honour until it impedes justice, then you do what is right.

Aveline
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Aveline » Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:48 am

Lathander wrote:I support the idea of extra pets/mounts, but making the number contingent on one's Charisma stat.

Why base it off of charisma? Your charisma might affect how your animals respond to you but it wouldn't really affect how many animals you own. I could see that for perhaps druid/ranger characters as a lot of times animals are more companions than pets. Animals would be less willing to come to you if your charisma isn't high enough. But to me it wouldn't make sense to have the number of pet slots based off of any stat.
Gwain
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Gwain » Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:19 pm

I agree with that. Lots of less charismatic people in real life own lots of pets. It may work in conjection to bodyguards and sentient creatures though.

Nysan
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Nysan » Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:05 pm

You don't have to be charismatic to whip a horse pulling a cart... but only a charismatic person could do it with STYLE! :mrgreen:

Lathander
Staff
Staff

Post by Lathander » Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:57 pm

Why base it off of charisma?
While there are reasonable objections to using Charisma, old 2ed (keep your 2ed bashing comments to yourselves!) used that stat in conjunction with things like this. More to the point though, two slots has been fine for years on FK and I think that the average PC can get by with two. It forces the PC to make some difficult decisions and lessens the opportunity for cookie cutter characters. Increasing the number of slots, and basing it on Charisma, adds more meaning to that stat and also creates the opportunity for more decision making. Want more mounts/pets/etc? Cool, spend a stat point for the increase. You might not be as intelligent, strong or dextrous as that PC over there, but look, you've got a traveling circus following you around!
Lathander,
Commander of Creativity
Lysha
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Lysha » Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:16 pm

And any idea that ends with you being followed by a traveling circus is a good one.
Your punch viciously hammers a shark's abdomen.
A shark is stunned, but will probably recover.

http://www.elfonlyinn.net/d/20070925.html