[SPELL] Remove dart as a component

A place to suggest new commands, feats, skills, ...
Duranamir
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Re: [SPELL] Remove dart as a component

Post by Duranamir » Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:56 am

Any chance of getting the exisiting in game silver darts programmatically mormphed into silver arrow heads so that we can have some time to go out and find an alternative supply ?

Duranamir
Raona
Staff
Staff

Post by Raona » Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:22 am

Duranamir wrote:Any chance of getting the exisiting in game silver darts programmatically mormphed into silver arrow heads so that we can have some time to go out and find an alternative supply ?
Alas, components are specified by vnum, and I don't think there is an "or" option on them, so it's either arrowheads or darts. (If someone knows of a component coding option that allows for "or," please say so!)

That said, I appreciate the effort put into making the darts...I'd propose that anyone in your fix be able to ASK for divine transmutation of their stock of silver darts (i287) into arrowheads (i85). It's up to individual Imms to decide if they want to indulge that, though!

On the area side: Should all component shop merchants currently selling these darts be given arrowheads instead? I'm afraid I don't know how to change what a merchant stocks!

The precision forge should start making arrowheads when the change comes in, and all existing dart moulds will convert to arrowhead moulds at that time, as well. This isn't the most efficient way to make or obtain arrowheads, but it provides one way to do so.
Duranamir
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Duranamir » Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:06 pm

What i was suggesting is to change all i287 silver darts to i85 arrowheads in the entire game !. Definetly a job for Mask.

Duranamir
Nysan
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Nysan » Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:39 pm

Random question, can we change component shops that stock darts to something spell related? "Taloman the wizard", in the Fellowship's area, for example.
-Gilain- -Trilev- -Siros-

You do not need to change the world, merely leave it a little better than how you found it.
Duranamir
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Duranamir » Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:26 am

Change is in, and definitely works, and the custom forge turns out lovely shiny new arrow heads.

However darts used to give multiple casts of flame arrow, it now consumes an arrow head every time, which given that flame arrow is a prime attack spell for some mages is going to make things interesting.

Can we bump the number of casts up into the 5 - 10 range.

Durnamir
Nysan
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Nysan » Sun Sep 26, 2010 1:03 am

Nicely done with the change over, but I want to toss in my support on the multiple use request. The amount of arrowheads that are being used up is insane, right now. Bump it up to 5 casts per arrowhead, at least, please.

You do not need to change the world, merely leave it a little better than how you found it.
Raona
Staff
Staff

Post by Raona » Fri Oct 01, 2010 2:22 am

Sorry for the slow follow-up, I've been swamped IRL! (Start of the school term, and the sour economy seems to be pushing many a would-be art history major into the sciences...)

I changed the Acid Arrow spell to consume arrowheads more slowly. I apologize for the consumption rate change, it came about because I was still learning (still am!) the secret codes that control component coding.

Relief should come with the next big copyover...which might be a while, sorry.
Nysan
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Nysan » Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:04 pm

Will this update effect any other arrowhead using spells, such as polar ray and flame arrow, or just acid arrow?

Edit: And never worry about RL causing problems. We understand completely. Just started my college math class this month and trying to help relatives move as well... busy, busy. :wink:

Raona
Staff
Staff

Post by Raona » Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:51 am

The others using arrowheads are still coded to eat them up at one per casting. I'm not a combat caster, so I'm not in a good position to know if this is crazy. But if it is, this is the place to argue for a change. Initially, I just didn't know how to set components to be used up after a few castings, I was lucky to be able to work out how to change the component! But now I know how to do it...but haven't. My rationale is that arrowheads are less expensive and lighter than darts.

I've gone through and changed the spell component merchants previously stocking darts to now stocking arrow heads. Let me know if that leaves any big holes in availability.
Selveem
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Selveem » Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:26 am

Honestly, Raona, I'm not a fan of anything using up on a single cast. It causes each individual to stock up on 50+ of a specific item which causes all the vendors to go out. It's really not a good thing for everyone else and I doubt it can be defended ICly.
This land shall come to the God who knows the answer to War. -Ninety-Nine Nights
Brar
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Brar » Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:32 am

On the other hand of the argument, Arrowhead is one of the easiest craftable component, coming in bulk of 20 for virtually no cost and very quickly (I made 120 in less than a real life day... and I'm inept at this trade)

But it is again the old argument about npc shopkeeping for components against rp interaction crafting components.

Brar
Your friendly house-elf,
Brar
Duranamir
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Duranamir » Wed Oct 06, 2010 4:43 pm

In response to Raona.

I am a combat caster and i do think 1 per cast is not good especially for Flame arrow, a level 3 spell that is a mainstay for conjurers as well as i would guess more general spell casters.

The only other offensive spell i know that does use arrowheads is polar ray at level 8 that is not too bad for 1 arrowhead per cast.

Though i am with Selveem that it is annoying to have to carry huge numbers of arrow heads just to support one or two spells. I would quite happily pay the same amount of coin for the same number of casts, just less actual components.

Duranamir
Nysan
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Nysan » Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:30 pm

As far as this change was concerned, I only wished the new arrowhead components to be used at the same rate as the former dart component. If it was a 1-cast dart spell it should be a 1-cast arrowhead spell. 5 cast per dart should be 5 casts per arrowhead. That is great.

Changing the base component should not impact rate-of-use. I do not cast flame arrow, so I cannot comment on that, but if I remember right (big if, feel free to point it out if its a mistake), polar ray only caused it dart to glow briefly, not be consumed. This change over has arrowheads burning 1 per cast.

That is my concern. It has nothing to do with ease/difficulty of finding arrowheads. I am only looking for matching rates. Sorry if my intentions were misunderstood.

Edit: As far as "1 shop to rule them all" component mindset... I think I am fairly clear on my stance of having non-shop means to attain all components. Shops are bandaids and last resorts, not solutions. :mrgreen:

Brar
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Brar » Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:47 pm

So, who makes the list of spell using darts/arrowhead and the correct comsumption rate?

Polar Ray, no use
Flaming Arrow, 5 use
Acid Arrow, 5 use

What else?

PS: *hugs Nysan*
Your friendly house-elf,
Brar
Nysan
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Nysan » Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:39 pm

Those are the only 3 spells I am aware of that used darts, now arrowheads. I think the rates Brar listed are correct, but my memory is foggy at best so I might be off.

Arrowhead was already a component for 'true strike', but I see no change in consumption rate since the change so it shouldn't be any real concern.

Duranamir
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Duranamir » Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:08 am

Add one spell to the list.

Acidshield, currently one arrowhead per cast.

Duranamir