Unpenetrable darkness

Reports on bugs, and questions on if something is a bug.
Isolrem
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Unpenetrable darkness

Post by Isolrem » Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:41 am

I can not explain exactly what was happening, but around 10-11pm game time, in the plains and road between Waterdeep and Howling peaks, I was unable to see in the total darkness of those rooms even though I was equipped with 1 (Glowing) an iridescent circlet and 1 traveler's light. I was not affected by any odd status, I tried removing and re-equipping all of my items to no avail. However, shortly after I was able to see in those rooms again.
Chars: Aryvael et all.
Harroghty
Staff
Staff

Re: Unpenetrable darkness

Post by Harroghty » Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:47 am

This happens from time to time. Not sure if we ever cracked the nut on why.
"A man may die yet still endure if his work enters the greater work, for time is carried upon a current of forgotten deeds, and events of great moment are but the culmination of a single carefully placed thought." - Chime of Eons
Isolrem
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Re: Unpenetrable darkness

Post by Isolrem » Thu Sep 30, 2010 5:17 am

After much more testing, it seems to be a culmination of the following factors:

1. there may be a problem with how time is interpreted in game. Sometimes around 12am and 1am, I can see as far on the world map as I would expect during noon. Conversely, some areas seem to get dark as early as 6pm (note, this may be fixed)

2. maybe there is code that allows pcs with low-light vision to see without glowing objects in the darkness as long as the weather is clear. that may account for why the experience was seemingly so random and unpredictable

3. my first glowing source, a circlet, was covered by a cowl on top. When this is the case, removing the cowl does not seem to cause the game to realize the room should now be lit.

4. when my circlet is covered by the cowl, adding another glowing item such as a traveler's light does not seem to cause the game to realize the room should now be lit.

Maybe none of the points I listed hold to any scrutiny, but that is just what I observed anyways. I now no longer wear the cowl on top of the circlet ever and have since not experienced any problems.
Gwain
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Rolling Darkness

Post by Gwain » Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:09 am

I've been noticing on wilderness rooms that at night when the hours tick, there are bouts of random darkness even when you wear a light. This includes true sight, which allows you to see but does not show anything on the vt interface. This issue has been around a long time but it seems to be increasing. Happens at night, after midnight in wilderness areas.
Justice is not neccesarily honourable, it is a tolerable business, in essence you tolerate honour until it impedes justice, then you do what is right.

Spelling is not necessarily correct :)
Isolrem
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Re: Rolling Darkness

Post by Isolrem » Sun Jul 24, 2011 10:54 pm

I notice this seems to occur when (but perhaps is not exclusively caused by) drow PCs using their darkness ability. Even after its supposed expiration the darkness returns periodically.
Raona
Staff
Staff

Post by Raona » Sat Aug 27, 2011 11:55 am

Thank you, that is a helpful tip! There is a spell coded called darkness - but no level set for it, either for any guild or domain. So who does get it? Forgive a non-drow for having to ask, but I don't think we have it documented. Does it come in at a certain level?
Duranamir
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Duranamir » Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:41 pm

We (full blooded drow) dont have a darkness ability.... we do have faerie fire but i highly doubt this has anything to do with this issue.

Duranamir
Isolrem
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Isolrem » Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:41 am

I've seen Solaghar produce total darkness in a room by some means or other.
Khelebhzed
Sword Apprentice
Sword Apprentice

Super Darkness?

Post by Khelebhzed » Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:21 pm

There appears to be a glitch with glowing items and darkness. Simply walking into dark room in UM with standard glowing items does nothing for me right now. I have the 'It is pitch black ....' response and can see nothing.
“Charity degrades those who receive it and hardens those who dispense it.” - George Sand
“He who is only just is cruel. Who on earth could live were all judged justly?” - Lord Byron
Raona
Staff
Staff

Re: Super Darkness?

Post by Raona » Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:27 pm

All rooms, or just one particular one? This is likely a manifestation of our longstanding "mystery blackness" that still appears from time to time without what we can tell is rhyme or reason.
Khelebhzed
Sword Apprentice
Sword Apprentice

Re: Super Darkness?

Post by Khelebhzed » Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:43 pm

It appears fixed since the game updated, but at the time all dark rooms in UM.
“Charity degrades those who receive it and hardens those who dispense it.” - George Sand
“He who is only just is cruel. Who on earth could live were all judged justly?” - Lord Byron
Lylena
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Light spells and items not working as they should.

Post by Lylena » Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:49 pm

When standing outside, I'm having trouble seeing in the darkness, even with glowing items. My character has a glowing amulet, and is with another character who's used the light spell, and worn several different candles and other items of glowing nature, and my character still couldn't see, even with the other character wearing the items walking in and out of the room.

The room was the one directly south of the guards at Friendly Arms Inn.

I've also had the issue where glowing items on the ground don't produce any light in order to see with, so if they're dropped, they're irretrievable. Which doesn't make sense, because if it's glowing, it should be seen?
For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "If I die, you are forgiven. If I live, I will kill you."
Such is the rule of honor.
Gwain
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Re: Light spells and items not working as they should.

Post by Gwain » Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:33 am

Its been encountered other places on the map, similar to earlier accounts of roving darkness. I've had it recently as well.
Justice is not neccesarily honourable, it is a tolerable business, in essence you tolerate honour until it impedes justice, then you do what is right.

Spelling is not necessarily correct :)
Raona
Staff
Staff

Re: Light spells and items not working as they should.

Post by Raona » Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:38 am

This problem keeps rearing its ugly head, but unless we can determine a pattern to it I think it's unfixable. Detailed reports like that offered by Lylena are appreciated. If we get enough of such reports, it may be possible to find a pattern...or not. Oddly, this problem seems to come and go, making me wonder if it is the result of some sort of player action. I'm merging this report with others along the same lines.