Possess Familiar.

For the discussion of general topics about the game.
Serge

Possess Familiar.

Post by Serge » Tue Apr 20, 2004 7:54 pm

Just wondering if any kind of spell was in the works to possess one's own familiar, or if it was ever discussed. I just know of the ability from Neverwinter Nights, but I thought it was a nice idea, and thought I'd ask about it. Gimme your thoughts

Serge
Rhelian

Post by Rhelian » Tue Apr 20, 2004 10:47 pm

By ordering your familiar around, or "encouraging it to perform tasks" :P you pretty much have the possess familiar command right there. The only difference is you're not sitting there linkdead while you move your familiar around :)
Serge

Post by Serge » Wed Apr 21, 2004 12:12 am

Yeah, that is true Rhelian. I was just thinking it would extend the usefulness of familiars, if you could walk around as your familar, perhaps going to spy on someone, if you have a sneaky creature, or somewhere perhaps you can't get to, with a flying familiar. I guess I was just thinking in terms of RP, and not usefulness to game mechanics.
Belose
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Belose » Wed Apr 21, 2004 3:31 am

Now this is confusing me again. In the 2nd. edition players handbook for find familiar, it says, and I quote, "A creature acting as a familiar can benefit a wizard, conveying it's SENSORY powers to it's master, conversing with him, and serving as a guard/scout/spy as well." It also mentioned intelligence in there, too, but I don't want to write all of that in here...now the conversing part doesn't mean they can DEBATE DIRE Issues of the day with you, it just means they have 1-3 points more intelligence than others of their kind... but I always thought that you got your familiars sensory powers and it could also serve as that guard/scout/spy for you. Now I KNOW that's for tabletop and since I haven't had a chance to get a familiar yet, I don't know how it works in the game, or even it that stuff is coded...but has the meaning for Find Familiar changed in 3rd edition? I don't have it, so I can't tell... I'm not even sure what's different from the AD&D Forgotten Realms Campaign set I have compared to this new one everyone's talking about... :oops:
What the Mind of a man can conceive, the Will of a man can achieve.
Serge

Post by Serge » Wed Apr 21, 2004 5:54 pm

Ahh, sorry about that. I didn't know you tried it out before.
Thanks for all the feedback everybody :shock:

Serge
Belose
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Belose » Wed Apr 21, 2004 10:57 pm

It makes me just wanna slap some people upside the head for abusing code like that... then again, I got chastised for doing something with an alt that I didn't know was taking advantage of code till I and my fellow adventurers were taken to task for it...I had reservations, but I STILL think we could have taken em all on untill archers showed up, and THEN ran away, but that's besides the point... What I was curious about with find familiar, do wizards who have familiars still have to have the handle animal skill to order them? All of my alts, except one, haven't even found handle animal, yet they can order them to sit, sleep, wear and eat...what more can you order them to do? Oh, and probably fight, too, but that's another post altogether...
What the Mind of a man can conceive, the Will of a man can achieve.
Jerigo
Sword Novice
Sword Novice

Post by Jerigo » Thu Apr 22, 2004 1:30 am

I think I remember there being a string on one of the other boards, possibly the bug board, about that. If I remember correctly, there will be a time soon when the game is switched over to using the handle animal skill for ordering followers like that, but until then the skill isn't needed. This might need some clarification or confirmation, though.
Selune
Sword Master
Sword Master

Post by Selune » Thu Apr 22, 2004 11:56 am

On April 1 Tyr said:
Animal handling is currently disabled to allow PCs to train the skill before it gets switched on. After it is enabled the PCs who neglected to train the skill will be out of luck when it comes to ordering their pets.
"...and everything under the sun is in tune but the sun is eclipsed by the moon."--Pink Floyd, Eclipse, The Dark Side of the Moon