(Opinionated) Selling quest items inside the newbie temple.

For the discussion of general topics about the game.
Pakur
Sword Journeyman
Sword Journeyman

(Opinionated) Selling quest items inside the newbie temple.

Post by Pakur » Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:58 am

In my honest opinion selling magical/quest rewards to the newbie temple where they won't be enjoyed by anyone isn't....right or nice. Bad form. Of course, this is just an opinion.

(Reference: WD Newbie Temple )
1) padded woolen hose 1 copper
2) a spiked morning star 1 copper
3) a black handled broadsword 2 platinum, 1 gold, 7 copper
4) a blunt iron falchion 1 platinum, 1 electrum, 4 silver
5) silver-adorned sleeves with a gold tr 50 platinum, 2 gold, 2 silver, 3 copper
6) a decorative gleaming hauberk trimmed 52 platinum, 2 copper
7) ivory-white gold-inlaid steel gauntle 67 platinum, 1 silver, 5 copper
8) a waterdhavian belt 102 platinum, 8 copper
9) a plain torch 1 copper
10) a cruciform longsword 1 copper
11) a spiked mace 1 copper
12) a straight dagger 1 copper
13) a vial of blessed water 3 gold, 1 electrum, 2 silver
14) a plain cape 1 copper
15) a loaf of bread 2 silver, 9 copper
16) a waterskin 2 silver, 4 copper
Wise men, when in doubt whether to speak or to keep quiet, give themselves the benefit of the doubt, and remain silent. - Napoleon Hill
Gwain
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Re: (Opinionated) Selling quest items inside the newbie temp

Post by Gwain » Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:31 am

Those items were sold almost five months ago, I'm not against the mobile shopkeep in the temple being a sell only mobile though.
Justice is not neccesarily honourable, it is a tolerable business, in essence you tolerate honour until it impedes justice, then you do what is right.

Spelling is not necessarily correct :)
Anguin
Sword Master
Sword Master

Post by Anguin » Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:27 pm

The shop in the newbie area generally buys items at a higher price than shops in the outside area. If a new character gets a quest reward they cannot/don't want to use, of course they want the highest monetary return. I doubt there's anything malicious about it.
Athon
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Athon » Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:35 pm

Anguin wrote:The shop in the newbie area generally buys items at a higher price than shops in the outside area. If a new character gets a quest reward they cannot/don't want to use, of course they want the highest monetary return. I doubt there's anything malicious about it.
I don't believe the point that Pakur was making is that it's malicious. The problem is that the goal of an immersed world like FK is that you want items (especially quest items) that are sold to mobs to be able to be purchased by another PC. However, I wouldn't expect anyone with access to the Temple shopkeeper would be at a point where they could actually buy the item. Thus it's just a money pit instead of a going back into the economy, if that makes sense.
~Vanguardier Athon, High Priest of Torm~
~Moranall, Fighter of Waterdeep~
Khelebhzed
Sword Apprentice
Sword Apprentice

Post by Khelebhzed » Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:49 pm

I have always thought the return value was higher on the temples to help young characters out (big help in Skullport.) It is not that hard to still have access to them and adds an element of RP in order to get them, either by an enterprising young character acting as a go-between or having to seek one out for the job.
“Charity degrades those who receive it and hardens those who dispense it.” - George Sand
“He who is only just is cruel. Who on earth could live were all judged justly?” - Lord Byron
Pakur
Sword Journeyman
Sword Journeyman

Post by Pakur » Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:25 am

Those items were sold almost five months ago
Don't get me wrong, I don't think this was done maliciously. I know lowbies just want the most coin out of their quest items. Starting out is difficult. But as Gwain said, they've been rotting there for five months now. I'm not entirely sure how rare they are, but somewhere (maybe, just maybe) some poor goodly priest or paladin is in tears because he can't seem to match his armour... think of the players...
Wise men, when in doubt whether to speak or to keep quiet, give themselves the benefit of the doubt, and remain silent. - Napoleon Hill
Bellayana
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Bellayana » Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:13 pm

Hahaha, *cues a slideshow of dishoveled priests and squires playing sad music*

For just 2 silver a day you too can help one in need of matching their armors.
The belief in a supernatural evil is not necessary;
Men alone are quite capable of every wickedness.
-Joseph Conrad, Under Western Eyes

-Tofuergus Greenroot, Gnomish Ranger
Lathander
Staff
Staff

Post by Lathander » Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:15 pm

It's extremely bad to have those items for sale in the newbie temple.
Lathander,
Commander of Creativity
Raona
Staff
Staff

Post by Raona » Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:11 pm

Can we limit the purchase funds of newbie merchants, say to nothing more than 10 plat? (I think they are in a separate area, with its own economy?) I understand why they pay better than others, but this seems to me an abuse of that fact.

(How did a <L10 get this stuff anyway? If a higher level player is having a newbie sell their stuff...I'm not sure whether to be impressed or revulsed!)
Timaeus
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Timaeus » Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:59 pm

There are several quests which give RMI rewards that can be completed prior to level 10 Raona.

But as far as newbie temple merchants go you could even remove their buying ability completely as there are no items on newbie temple mobs that are of value (can't be sold) so any items you would sell to a newbie temple vendor would be gained outside the restricted entry point of those temples in the first place. Meaning the characters are already approved and able to leave the newbie zones and enter the unrestricted game environment already.
AKA Tycho, Lamorak, Kayne, Uthric
Harroghty
Staff
Staff

Post by Harroghty » Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:32 am

This will all be OBE when the new newbie area comes into the game soon. It is completed and tested, but I am working on the little newbie quests that will spawn from it.
"A man may die yet still endure if his work enters the greater work, for time is carried upon a current of forgotten deeds, and events of great moment are but the culmination of a single carefully placed thought." - Chime of Eons