Still show adjectives from greeted ?

A place to suggest new commands, feats, skills, ...
Pakur
Sword Journeyman
Sword Journeyman

Still show adjectives from greeted ?

Post by Pakur » Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:18 pm

A new player came up with this idea and I think its wonderful. A config option to make players short description continue to show up even after being greeted. I.E.
Bob has greeted me. But my config is, ( Config +Desc ) So instead of seeing, " Bob is standing here. " I would see, " A tall, dashing male human is standing here. "
Thoughts? Could this easily be coded o_O?
Wise men, when in doubt whether to speak or to keep quiet, give themselves the benefit of the doubt, and remain silent. - Napoleon Hill
Harroghty
Staff
Staff

Re: Still show adjectives from greeted ?

Post by Harroghty » Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:28 pm

Or how immortals see PCs.
e.g. Bob (a strong, stupid male human)
"A man may die yet still endure if his work enters the greater work, for time is carried upon a current of forgotten deeds, and events of great moment are but the culmination of a single carefully placed thought." - Chime of Eons
Pakur
Sword Journeyman
Sword Journeyman

Post by Pakur » Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:59 pm

Could there be two configuration options?
config +Desc == A tall, dashing male human.
config +Longdesc == Bob ( A tall, dashing male human. )
config -desc and config -longdesc | Would populate as: Bob is standing here.

I know there's probably a huge backlog of bugs and other things that are on the to-do list, but I believe this would be a great addition to the configuration options.
Wise men, when in doubt whether to speak or to keep quiet, give themselves the benefit of the doubt, and remain silent. - Napoleon Hill
Isolrem
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Isolrem » Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:38 am

I am for this as yet another nice-to-have-if-simple-to-implement feature.
Chars: Aryvael et all.
Tavik
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Tavik » Sun Sep 25, 2011 4:14 pm

I'm not sure how difficult or easy this would be to implement, but I am curious as to the reason for the suggestion in the first place. At the moment you can use either look or glance to see a greeted (or ungreeted) character's adjective. What sort of situation would something like this be beneficial in?
Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die. ~Mel Brooks
Xryon
Sword Master
Sword Master

Post by Xryon » Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:16 pm

It's useful for immediately available referencing. Glance and look both give echoes when used.
Gwain
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Gwain » Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:03 pm

I think for characters that wish to remain anonymous, but have descriptions that match other player characters.
Justice is not neccesarily honourable, it is a tolerable business, in essence you tolerate honour until it impedes justice, then you do what is right.

Spelling is not necessarily correct :)
Lylena
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Lylena » Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:15 am

The idea came from DoT codebases.

Xryon wrote:It's useful for immediately available referencing. Glance and look both give echoes when used.
I agree completely with what Xyron said.

I'd mentioned it because I'd seen it always (on DoT), and sometimes when conversation comes up of "What did they look like?" it's easier to recall a short description if it's always there, compared to a name with nothing behind it unless you want to save all the long descriptions of characters you've encountered for reference later.
For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "If I die, you are forgiven. If I live, I will kill you."
Such is the rule of honor.
Pakur
Sword Journeyman
Sword Journeyman

Post by Pakur » Mon Sep 26, 2011 2:37 pm

Well, my idea was to have this configuration option as something only the player who has it turned on would see. If you had it turned on, you wouldn't see name but you would see them as; " A tall, dark-haired male human. " But they would still see *you* as "Bob" unless they had that configuration option on as well. Having this option on would not affect how other players saw you, unless of course they had it on as well. And originally it's Lylena's idea too! :) I just hijacked it on her second day @_@ <3 <3 <3
Uleha
Sword Novice
Sword Novice

Post by Uleha » Sun Oct 02, 2011 6:19 pm

I think MUSHclient comes with a way to do this.