Pets and or mounts

For the discussion of general topics about the game.
Bugoron
Sword Apprentice
Sword Apprentice

Pets and or mounts

Post by Bugoron » Fri Nov 21, 2003 5:02 pm

This is just a thought, in response to Andreas's post of "tethering" his horse. Would it be possible to order your mount to pose, so that when people looked at it, they would see "A such-and-such horse is here, tethered to a post."?

Bugoron Bearfang,
Cleric of the Moon
Last edited by Bugoron on Fri Nov 21, 2003 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Proud member of the Order of the Deinonychus Claw
Isaldur
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Isaldur » Fri Nov 21, 2003 6:04 pm

I know what I would do if pets could pose..

http://www.barmirrors.com/images/twos/7dogs2.jpg
A sapphire haired male aasimar replies to you 'What would you get Tanya for a wedding present?'
You reply to A sapphire haired male aasimar 'A swift kick to the head. '
Blug
Sword Novice
Sword Novice

What do I do with my pet?

Post by Blug » Sat Nov 29, 2003 5:51 pm

As my thief, who shall remain unnamed, I have a pet. Now he's not a mount, he's a small RP pet to play around with, but I was wondering what I would do with him before I go off looting an pillaging. Would it be bad RP to have him stabled, I think it would be a bad idea to have him riding around on my shoulder while looting, pillaging, plundering and the like. Just thought I'd ask before I did something stupid.
And they ran through the bush
And they ran through the bramble
And they ran through the briars where the rabbit wouldn't go
They ran so fast the hounds couldn't catch 'em
And I stumbled on my beard and I had to let 'em go.
Mele
Staff
Staff

Post by Mele » Sat Nov 29, 2003 6:02 pm

I think Rainer and Mele keep the smallest pet in the game, being a ferret. When Rainer(who opperates him) stables Jinx, we usually either refer to him as being left in some inn(he's spoiled). Or, we'll go to pick him up and have him come out full of hay and chittering angrily at us. We've also been known on occasion to actually pay for a room, and leave him in it while we go about our business. :P (He's -really- spoiled)

I don't see anything wrong with stabling a little guy, and playing like he's not really stabled or anything. :)

Just some examples. :)

~Danica
Beshaba potatoes.
Blug
Sword Novice
Sword Novice

Oookay

Post by Blug » Sat Nov 29, 2003 6:34 pm

Alrighty, thank ye, gotta remember that un.
And they ran through the bush
And they ran through the bramble
And they ran through the briars where the rabbit wouldn't go
They ran so fast the hounds couldn't catch 'em
And I stumbled on my beard and I had to let 'em go.
Dobras
Sword Bumbler
Sword Bumbler

Lost Pets

Post by Dobras » Sat Mar 27, 2004 12:25 am

I just wanted to, know if there can be an item that a pet wears so if you lose it you can find him..
Ex: Like a magic bell, or something like that..

Dobras Fidelis
Fighter
Mele
Staff
Staff

Post by Mele » Sat Mar 27, 2004 1:40 am

I'd rather see people taking care of their pets rather then imms taking time to code something like this instead of new areas, or quests, or objects personally. Just my opinion. ^^

Danica
Beshaba potatoes.
Gwain

PETS!

Post by Gwain » Sat Mar 27, 2004 1:58 am

in my opinion the function to stable pets within the walls of a city is a terrific feature that should be used regularly, not only to keep pets off the street and away from being impounded or being the feature ingreadient in stew. Also in stabling you stand on being a good member of the community, you're helping the economy by paying to have your pet taken care of and keeping city streets free of dung and strays. Like in real life when you leave your auto in a certain place to long it will be ticketed, or towed. Or in the case of leaving it alone in someplace for several years, it might rust to pieces, roll off a cliff or wander away.

Of course with a car you have insurance if you lose it. Maybe it might be a good idea to implement that into fk. That, if you leave your pet in one place too long you might be required to pay a fine to recover it and with each additional fine the fee increases. Though I realise the amount of time it would take to programmer such things and don't see it neccesary personally just yet, since the stabling system is openly available and there are plenty of otherways to keep up a pet :) So for now I honestly think the best idea is to stable your pet, keep it in eyesight, keep it in the bushes out side the city or only leave it alone for a short lapse of time.

Thank you....now has anyone seen my car? :(
Gwain

Insulting stable masters

Post by Gwain » Thu May 06, 2004 5:32 pm

Stable masters run stables, in the old ages before conventional travel it was their duty and pleasure to care for your tired mount while you went in an inn and drained a glass of ale, ate a bowl of stew or had an extended visit to town. As long as you paid for service to your pet he would see that they were taken care of and kept safe.

I have seen many chars that just leave their pets and mounts in the stable without paying period and in some cases the carts that the pets are hitched to.

Now, consider this...
I am horse, I have been left in a stable without being stabled properly by paying the stable master. My owner has ignored his offer of service but still left me, a horse in his establishment. I am hungry, I am tired and I will not get any proper care or rest, instead I am ignored and now most likely a thing of anger or distaste to the stable master.

Now I am the stable master and I am angry as anything! I have taken the time to stand here and state my services yet still people ignore me and leave their pets here in the stable without paying and expect me to care for them. I, the stable master am angered and overworked enough.

I think that if you are going to leave your pet in a stable in a city you should stable it and not just leave it there.

A system can be introduced that will integrate pets that are abandoned back into the stable in entirety.
Basically, a pet left too long unstabled will be placed back into the stable shop and be for sale, armour, inventory and all.
It could work like the idle command line that sends idle players to the void. a horse left unstabled would be adle to stay in the area for a limited time (maybe 20-40 minutes) then the stable master would take them into there shop and the pet will be up for resale thus compensating the stablemaster for his trouble and giving the person that has chosen not to properly stable something to think about.

I know at one point some of us including myself have at one time or another in the past left a pet unatended in a stable instead of stabling properly. But we can learn to properly us the system in an i.c. way and create interesting rp.

Being not able to pay a fee does not mean we still leave our pets there, it means we go get the coin from a bank or take them outside the city walls to wait for us. In essence when you stable you pay for security anything else is freeloading.

The one thing I can see as acceptable would be rping a very short stay and giving what coin you have to the stable master or giving him something of value in exchange for leaving the pet there very shortly.

Carts I feel left alone in a stable are only as safe as how kind and honorable a person is when they come upon them. A thief might empty them but such happens when carts are left unatended. In the old forums it was said that you'd give extra coin to the stable master to stable a pet and cart. So as long as you pay the fare that might work.

In the end it is up to imms and everyday people and the stable masters themselves to see what is to be done about stabling mounts and pets currently.

Thank you.
Rhytania
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Rhytania » Thu May 06, 2004 5:45 pm

Great idea as long as we keep it within the city or stables ONLY. It should not extend to the wilderness areas.
Gwain

Post by Gwain » Thu May 06, 2004 5:47 pm

I agree, if you leave your pet in the wilderness then it should fare fine until you return for it because it is not being abandoned unlawfully in a stable.
Good point :)
Nysan
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Nysan » Fri May 07, 2004 4:58 am

Of course the occasional wandering monster seeing a horse in the wild and gets hungry happens. That and the chance of your always popular horse thief and bandit types. Just a thought...

N.R.
-Gilain- -Trilev- -Siros-

You do not need to change the world, merely leave it a little better than how you found it.
Rhytania
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Rhytania » Fri May 07, 2004 7:40 am

True, but thats the risk we take in choosing not stable them unless we are in the city. If you have a cart and a horse left in the wilderness and it gets robbed thats your own fault and you can blame no one but yourself
Nysan
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Nysan » Fri May 07, 2004 11:03 am

I rather like robbing them in the city too, :) Could be just me.

N.R.
-Gilain- -Trilev- -Siros-

You do not need to change the world, merely leave it a little better than how you found it.
Caius
Sword Novice
Sword Novice

Post by Caius » Fri May 07, 2004 4:33 pm

There's a certain tavern that has facilites for all kinds of pets, not just horses.
Wenin
Sword Journeyman
Sword Journeyman

Post by Wenin » Sat Dec 17, 2005 4:58 am

I find the stabling prices to be to high.

1 platinum to stable a horse that is worth 4 gold?

I've looked at many stables, and don't recall finding any that are costing a silver. /shrugs

Those prices aren't IC.

Perhaps bring the prices of stabling down to that listed in the source material. Raise the price for the highly sought after places, such as the stable near the market square.

Well what brought me to this thread is the suggested pose command being opened to mounts. That would be great.
Kelemvor
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Kelemvor » Sat Dec 17, 2005 9:48 am

There are several aspects of the economy and object pricing in the game which might come across as a bit off to someone used to working from comprehensive canon material.

I agree, some prices might seem higher than they could be expected to be

Rather than denounce these occasional heresies :wink: I'd suggest taking a slightly more relaxed view. Stretch yourself ICly

- Perhaps the higher price reflects the comprehensive security system the Inn employs (You know, the big chap with the pitchfork watching over your mount) OOCly, your mount can not be robbed or abducted if it is stabled and the value of items on a horse can far outweight either a 1 platinum fee or the value of the mount
- Perhaps you are paying a higher fee for an advance payment of feed and water for your mount OOCly, you could leave your mount there for a week, a month or even a year in game and it's still only cost you 1 platinum
- Or, and this is my personal favourite, it could be that the prices are so high because the Inns are in league with the impound yard and want you to leave your pet where it can be carted off. OOCly, it will cost you considerably more than 1 platinum to reclaim your pet in Waterdeep if a guard decides it is causing a nuisance or obstruction.

Any number of unfortunate incidents can befall a mount left sitting in a stable instead of paying for the cost of coded stabling. Mounts left inappropriately could be moved by players, robbed by thieves or impounded by guards.

Only in those towns or cities where there are no coded stables or only uncode versions of stables which are the most ICly correct (eg griffon stable on Mount Waterdeep) should you leave a mount untended in game and assume that it is safe.
...never send to know for whom the bell tolls,
it tolls for thee.