Rogue kismet requirement

For the discussion of general topics about the game.
Zanven
Sword Bumbler
Sword Bumbler

Rogue kismet requirement

Post by Zanven » Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:01 am

Now that doesn't exist a kismet requirement for creating an evil character. Might it be lifted as well for creating a rogue? Argueably a *bad* evil character could be as damaging as a character of any alignment who steals wantonly. Also perhaps it could open new venues and more character diversity.
Zanven, Rilun, Dalio.
Lyllee
Sword Bumbler
Sword Bumbler

Re: Rogue kismet requirement

Post by Lyllee » Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:51 am

Based off my own personal experience, kismet requirements should be in, but much less than 200 hours - you're invested in the game after 100. I still can't make a rogue, and I've already explored almost all of the cities in the game.

If it must be tiered, I would say warrior < cleric < wizard < rogue, from 0 to most required.
Lathander
Staff
Staff

Post by Lathander » Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:34 pm

There are three reasons behind why we have those requirements for rogues:

1. Class balance. The cost limits the number of rogues compared to, say, warriors.
2. Prior History. We have had a lot of abuse of the rogue/thief class in the past. A small portion could be attributed to a misunderstanding of the limits associated with rogue rp. By having players spend time learning the FK system before earning enough kismet to make a rogue allows them to be better prepared for rogue rp.
3. Decisions and investment. If you only have a certain amount of kismet, you are naturally required to weigh your options on how to spend it. By choosing to spend 200 kismet on a rogue, you have to forgo spending that kismet elsewhere and will be sure to think carefully before choosing that option.
Zanven
Sword Bumbler
Sword Bumbler

Post by Zanven » Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:29 pm

Thanks for your reply Lathander.
Zanven, Rilun, Dalio.
Lyllee
Sword Bumbler
Sword Bumbler

Post by Lyllee » Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:56 am

Point 1 seems reasonable. For 2, I was trying to argue that it's probably a little bit high. 200 hours for some players is more than a month of play time for some people. The game says that kismet isn't deducted for making a rogue, so 3 is not applicable here, I think.