More helpfile errors

For the discussion of general topics about the game.
Raona
Staff
Staff

Re: More helpfile errors

Post by Raona » Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:58 am

Anguin wrote:Strictly speaking, this is not an error. More of an omission. Could we get the help file for 'Weapon Finesse' updated to include the level it becomes available? It's not available at first level.
Code doesn't have a minimum level for this feat - just a 16 DEX requirement. Though it is a fighter bonus feat, does that mean it is limited to the fighter class? I don't think so?

Can you spell out more detail of what kind of PC you were hoping to train it on?
Raona
Staff
Staff

Post by Raona » Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:00 pm

Anguin wrote:I just noticed that 'sickle' is included in the help file for polearms. I'm sure this is an error. Sickles are short blades.
Quite right! They used to be polearms, but we fixed that, and the helpfile didn't keep up. It is now fixed. Thanks for reporting it!
Anguin
Sword Master
Sword Master

Post by Anguin » Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:02 pm

Raona wrote: Code doesn't have a minimum level for this feat - just a 16 DEX requirement. Though it is a fighter bonus feat, does that mean it is limited to the fighter class? I don't think so?

Can you spell out more detail of what kind of PC you were hoping to train it on?
When I attempted to train it, I received a message to the effect of "You need more combat experience to learn this feat". I was trying with a human rogue who started with a 16 Dexterity.

At level 4 I was able to get it (I checked each new level).

Edit: And thank you for looking into these things! I appreciate it!
Raona
Staff
Staff

Post by Raona » Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:59 am

Ah, I think I see it! The feat requires a minimum base attack bonus of 1. I'll add that into the helpfile. Thank you! (Ditto for weapon focus)
Nearraba
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Nearraba » Sat Apr 14, 2012 12:32 am

Hello! =) I'm not sure if this is the correct place to post, but I'm hoping so. Apologies in advance if it's not.

In typing Help, I recieved,
Error retrieving help: MySQL server has gone away.
I've also tried looking up exact helpfiles and came up with the same response. I've never seen this before, but I think our helpfiles might need some help! =) Thank you.

(Edited, because this was fixed with the last copy-over. Thank you!)
Autumn is a second spring where every leaf has its turn to be a flower.
- Albert Camus
Harroghty
Staff
Staff

Post by Harroghty » Sun Apr 15, 2012 2:22 pm

Hi. Just a reminder, if you ever see that message then please use the ASK channel. It is an easy thing for any immortal to fix.
"A man may die yet still endure if his work enters the greater work, for time is carried upon a current of forgotten deeds, and events of great moment are but the culmination of a single carefully placed thought." - Chime of Eons
Raona
Staff
Staff

Post by Raona » Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:47 am

To fill out the details on this...we believe it's actually a bug in MySQL itself, which they know about, but haven't fixed yet. I think a consequence of our actually having two databases open at once (the second one with pending edits). So it's in the bug fix queue, but beyond our grasp to resolve at the moment. Thanks for taking the time to report it, however!
Gwain
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Gwain » Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:24 am

Chariot of the Sun

Conjuration [Fire]
Range: Personal
Syntax: c 'chariot of the sun' <target>

Invokes a flaming chariot upon which the caster is swept instantly
to his destination.

The spell has a few restrictions: you will only succeed in casting it
during daytime hours, between 7 A.M. and 5 P.M. and you will only succeed
in casting if both you and your victim are in an outdoor area -- you need
the power of the sun in order for this spell to work (thus it will also
not succeed in bad weather).

Its more a question of syntax but target would probably work better than victim. Most of the other transportation spell helpfiles use target.
Justice is not neccesarily honourable, it is a tolerable business, in essence you tolerate honour until it impedes justice, then you do what is right.

Spelling is not necessarily correct :)
Raona
Staff
Staff

Post by Raona » Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:05 am

A fine suggestion, thank you Gwain! Done!
Gwain wrote:Chariot of the Sun

Conjuration [Fire]
Range: Personal
Syntax: c 'chariot of the sun' <target>

Invokes a flaming chariot upon which the caster is swept instantly
to his destination.

The spell has a few restrictions: you will only succeed in casting it
during daytime hours, between 7 A.M. and 5 P.M. and you will only succeed
in casting if both you and your victim are in an outdoor area -- you need
the power of the sun in order for this spell to work (thus it will also
not succeed in bad weather).

Its more a question of syntax but target would probably work better than victim. Most of the other transportation spell helpfiles use target.
Tarven
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Tarven » Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:22 pm

I was told that the help file for druids was recently updated to reflect that druids do not receive domain spells. However, the help files show that spells are granted to deities, based on their domains, IE; Prowess (Malar), Renewal (Chauntea), Travel (Mielikki) and Nature (all 3, and only those 3, which pretty much invalidates that domain, as I'm told there are no 'clerics' of the 3 nature deities).

Another, possible, suggestion, might be to remove the 'domain' portions of the nature deity entries, if there aren't to be clerics of those deities. =)

Thanks!
Mele
Staff
Staff

Post by Mele » Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:42 pm

It was not recently updated - druids have never received domain spells.

However, clerics do receive domain spells and both Chauntea and Mielikki in canon have clerical orders, though not in common practice on FK, the domains connected to those are listed in respective helpfiles.

We have never stated specifically whether or not someone could take up the roleplay of 'cleric' rather than 'druid' of these nature faiths, so as it stands now it would be specific per application by a player.

In short; this is not a helpfile error, but priests entering those faiths are defaulted to druid unless they submit an application and are approved for cleric - approval of this would be case by case if at all. Anyone hoping to apply for this would need to have some very serious and specific roleplay reasoning, as the code benefits are obviously seen as a heavy motivation while it should be for the roleplay line.
Beshaba potatoes.
Tarven
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Tarven » Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:46 pm

Mele wrote:It was not recently updated - druids have never received domain spells.
I never said they -did- receive domain spells, I said that I was -told- that the help file had been updated to state such, as there had been some confusion. Whether this did, or didn't, happen, I don't know. I'm just saying that I, upon reading the help files, fell upon some confusion as to the nature of things. Such as the following, from 'Help priests'
Help Priests wrote:Note that Malar, Chauntea, and Mielikki do not have priests, but rather all of their religious followers are druids. Those wishing to follow Mielikki, Chauntea, and Malar as non human priests should check help druids for more details.
If the case is that one -can- apply for clerics of those faiths, perhaps then my suggestion might be to add such to the Help Priests helpfile, and possibly direction to such directly in the text on those 3 deities, so that people might know there's an option to do so, and thus that the domains aren't moot. =)

Thanks again!
Mele
Staff
Staff

Post by Mele » Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:30 pm

Improved Initiative Feat
========================
This feat enables you to react more quickly in battle.

This feat has no pre-requisites.

There's lots of ways to react more quickly in battle - can this one be expanded on?
Beshaba potatoes.
Tarven
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Tarven » Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:03 pm

Mele wrote:
Improved Initiative Feat
========================
This feat enables you to react more quickly in battle.

This feat has no pre-requisites.

There's lots of ways to react more quickly in battle - can this one be expanded on?
Yeah, I've sort of wondered on this one myself. The assumption I've been running with just makes it so that you'll attack first in combat rounds. Or at least more likely to. Which can make a bigger diff in 1v1 fights, esp with a lot of swinging going on.
Gwain
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Gwain » Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:38 pm

This is what I found online:

http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Improved_Initiative

Its vague too, supposedly a bit of a bonus to initiative checks.
Justice is not neccesarily honourable, it is a tolerable business, in essence you tolerate honour until it impedes justice, then you do what is right.

Spelling is not necessarily correct :)
Harroghty
Staff
Staff

Post by Harroghty » Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:06 am

The feat functions just as described in the SRD: a +4 bonus to initiative checks.
"A man may die yet still endure if his work enters the greater work, for time is carried upon a current of forgotten deeds, and events of great moment are but the culmination of a single carefully placed thought." - Chime of Eons
Raona
Staff
Staff

Post by Raona » Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:53 am

Tarven - Thank you for pointing out the Domain issue. Those helpfiles have been updated to help mitigate confusion for new players.

Harroghty and I both added a bit to the Improved Initiative helpfile to try to clarify what it does. Again, thanks for pointing out the potential for improvement there.
Tarven
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Tarven » Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:00 am

Raona wrote:Tarven - Thank you for pointing out the Domain issue. Those helpfiles have been updated to help mitigate confusion for new players.

Harroghty and I both added a bit to the Improved Initiative helpfile to try to clarify what it does. Again, thanks for pointing out the potential for improvement there.
Glad I could help, and thanks for the updates. =)

For my next trick!
Help Second Attack wrote: * While you can learn the attacks out of turn (i.e. train third attack before
you have become reasonably capable with second attack, for example), it is
inefficient to do so because you will only attempt a third attack upon a
successful second attack.
I recently found out you need at least journeyman in second attack to train in third attack. But only after I spent about 45 minutes looking for a trainer for third attack. Any chance the help file could be changed to specify journeyman being required?

Thanks!
Tarven
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Tarven » Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:20 pm

Help Coin wrote:1 pound = 100 copper = 20 silver = 10 electrum = 5 gold = 10 platinum
So, I was noticing, when I deposited 693 copper, my weight went from ~62 to ~47, 15 pounds for ~700 copper, which would suggest the help file to be erroneous (if this is intentional) or some kind of miscode, if the help file's indicated weights are intentional? Figured I'd post here and check.
Raona
Staff
Staff

Post by Raona » Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:28 pm

Tarven wrote:
Help Second Attack wrote: * While you can learn the attacks out of turn (i.e. train third attack before
you have become reasonably capable with second attack, for example), it is
inefficient to do so because you will only attempt a third attack upon a
successful second attack.
I recently found out you need at least journeyman in second attack to train in third attack. But only after I spent about 45 minutes looking for a trainer for third attack. Any chance the help file could be changed to specify journeyman being required?

Thanks!
Oy! That whole system looks to have been changed, and I've revised the helpfile extensively to reflect such. Sorry about that...I didn't get the memo, until you spoke up!