Hobbies!

Mele
Staff
Staff

Re: Hobbies!

Post by Mele » Sat Jan 23, 2016 12:21 am

Brocc wrote:I'm seeing a lot of craft-work here, so I feel this would be a good place to ask. My fiance tried crocheting, but she felt like she was doing the same thing the entire time, and got bored. Is there any of these craft things anyone would recommend that keeps your attention, or is just fun to do? Thanks!
PFFFFT WIFE. :)
Beshaba potatoes.
Beskytter
Sword Master
Sword Master

Post by Beskytter » Tue Jan 26, 2016 5:02 am

Brocc wrote:I'm seeing a lot of craft-work here, so I feel this would be a good place to ask. My fiance tried crocheting, but she felt like she was doing the same thing the entire time, and got bored. Is there any of these craft things anyone would recommend that keeps your attention, or is just fun to do? Thanks!
Crochet is basically the same thing repeated a billion times with lots of counting involved the same way the Count was involved in Sesame Street. If she's looking for something to do that's just fun, she could try cake decorating. Cause you get to eat it at the end. Or she can try artistic plating (though that often requires a couple years of culinary school to truly get the foundations for it).

As a former crafting teacher with Jo-Ann Fabric and Crafts, I can say that the vast majority of people get bored with just repeating/practicing the same thing over and over. Tell your fiancee that she can look into going to clubs or group activities related to her craft of choice. Typically, with enough practice, she'll become comfortable crafting while talking or watching TV.
I'm a raptor, doin' what I can, gonna eat everything till he appearance of man. Yo yo see me, I'm living below the soil. I'll be back, but I'm comin' as oil.
Ami
Sword Apprentice
Sword Apprentice

Post by Ami » Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:11 pm

Hobbies...

Bit late to the party here, but I am a fan of homebrewing hard cider. I love the process of fermenting juice, and I experiment with it as often as I can. I also enjoy DM'ing AD&D 2nd edition games, primarily in the Forgotten Realms world.

But my primary love in this world if fish. Aquariums, oceanic species, freshwater critters. If it has a spine and gills, I love it.
Lylena
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Lylena » Wed Jan 27, 2016 8:54 pm

Ami wrote:
Bit late to the party here, but I am a fan of homebrewing hard cider. I love the process of fermenting juice, and I experiment with it as often as I can.

As one who has sampled said brew, it is fanfreakingtastic. Four thumbs up.
For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "If I die, you are forgiven. If I live, I will kill you."
Such is the rule of honor.
Aishe
Sword Journeyman
Sword Journeyman

Post by Aishe » Thu Jan 28, 2016 5:19 am

Lylena wrote:
Ami wrote:
Bit late to the party here, but I am a fan of homebrewing hard cider. I love the process of fermenting juice, and I experiment with it as often as I can.

As one who has sampled said brew, it is fanfreakingtastic. Four thumbs up.
Heh, makes me wish I could drink irl!
Obstacles are those dreadful things you see when you take your eyes off your goal.
Aishe
Sword Journeyman
Sword Journeyman

Post by Aishe » Thu Jan 28, 2016 5:48 am

Ok, now that I've poked my head in on this topic, I guess I should post properly.

I like drawing, coloring, Photoshop, reading, writing, wiring LED's, listening to music, and taking long walks in the woods.
Obstacles are those dreadful things you see when you take your eyes off your goal.
Yemin
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Yemin » Thu Jan 28, 2016 1:21 pm

Aishe wrote:Ok, now that I've poked my head in on this topic, I guess I should post properly.

I like drawing, coloring, Photoshop, reading, writing, wiring LED's, listening to music, and taking long walks in the woods.
So... your an artist at heart who likes walking in the woods...?

LOOK BEHIND YOU!!
I trained up double-edged bananas because the uber-plantain of doom I scored from the beehive quest was the best weapon in the game. Now it's being treated like a bug and they have gimped its damage! That's not fair! My character is ruined!
Brocc
Sword Bumbler
Sword Bumbler

Post by Brocc » Thu Jan 28, 2016 7:54 pm

There's a lot of cool suggestions out here! She tried jarring stuff and she liked it, but wasn't a fan of the end product. We had a whole lot of apple sauce around that I grazed on every once in a while, so that was kind of cool. She can be patient if the outcome is a good one :P

Cake decorating sounds dangerous. Dangerous in that I may not possess the self-control needed to NOT eat cake. You can see why I probably won't recommend this! I have a figure to watch, haha. Cider is awesome! Love drinking the stuff. I remember when I was deployed, a coworker had his wife send in some hard cider in a listerine bottle haha, it was soooo good! I wonder if creating cider would be like brewing beer? I've seen some of the setups required for brewing beer, just never cider.
Mele
Staff
Staff

Post by Mele » Sun Jan 31, 2016 6:42 pm

Beskytter wrote:
Crochet is basically the same thing repeated a billion times with lots of counting involved the same way the Count was involved in Sesame Street. If she's looking for something to do that's just fun, she could try cake decorating. Cause you get to eat it at the end. Or she can try artistic plating (though that often requires a couple years of culinary school to truly get the foundations for it).

As a former crafting teacher with Jo-Ann Fabric and Crafts, I can say that the vast majority of people get bored with just repeating/practicing the same thing over and over. Tell your fiancee that she can look into going to clubs or group activities related to her craft of choice. Typically, with enough practice, she'll become comfortable crafting while talking or watching TV.

PFFFFFT BISCUITEATER, PFFFFFFFFFT.
Beshaba potatoes.
Yemin
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Yemin » Sun Jan 31, 2016 6:56 pm

that joke's been made sista, move along :p
I trained up double-edged bananas because the uber-plantain of doom I scored from the beehive quest was the best weapon in the game. Now it's being treated like a bug and they have gimped its damage! That's not fair! My character is ruined!
Mele
Staff
Staff

Post by Mele » Tue Feb 02, 2016 5:38 am

ONE DAY I WILL STOP SPAMMING THIS POST. TOMORROW.

Beshaba potatoes.
Lirith
Staff
Staff

Post by Lirith » Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:31 pm

Woah you got good!

I'm finishing up a knitted blanket that is the size of a small room. It's currently at 8 feet by 10 feet, made from about 40 skeins that were donated to me after my aunt died in the summer. It's going to be COSY.

Also working on more socks. Always socks.
Ami
Sword Apprentice
Sword Apprentice

Post by Ami » Tue Feb 02, 2016 5:14 pm

Brocc wrote: Cider is awesome! Love drinking the stuff. I remember when I was deployed, a coworker had his wife send in some hard cider in a listerine bottle haha, it was soooo good! I wonder if creating cider would be like brewing beer? I've seen some of the setups required for brewing beer, just never cider.
Hah! Cider is super easy to make, the hard part is doing it well. Cider is fermented, not brewed, which means the only heating you do to the juice is meant to pasteurize it, to get rid of any contaminants inside of the must. I like to fortify my cider with a lot of honey when I brew it, which turns it from a cider into a Cyser. (apple-mead, basically.)

After you've got the cleaning and sanitizing down, you pop the stuff into a carboy, toss in your yeast of choice (champagne yeast in my case), and let it sit in the darkest and coldest place you have for a month or two while the yeast eats the sugar and poops alcohol. Once it's done, you pull the juice off of the now-dead yeast corpses, called lees, and siphon it off into another carboy. That's called Racking.

Anyhow, you repeat that process to taste, the longer you do that process, the more mild tasting and clear the cider will become. It's a real joy to pour a bottle of a ruby-red raspberry cyser that tastes like heaven, let me tell you.
Nearraba
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Nearraba » Wed Feb 03, 2016 5:45 pm

ONE DAY I WILL STOP SPAMMING THIS POST. TOMORROW.
Quite possibly the cutest crochet animal, EVER! Don't stop!
Autumn is a second spring where every leaf has its turn to be a flower.
- Albert Camus
Kinal
Sword Journeyman
Sword Journeyman

Post by Kinal » Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:18 pm

Mele, do you take orders!? :D
Technically, we're all half centaur.
Mele
Staff
Staff

Post by Mele » Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:39 pm

I plan to in the future, I'm just trying to get better at it! I've only made 3 so far, so in pictures they look fine but there's definitely a lot of fine tuning to be done!!!

My inevitable plan is to open an Etsy for all things, blankets, socks, slippers, amigurimi, blabla. Even if I sell one thing a month that's still the joy of making it and money for more yarn. :)
Beshaba potatoes.
Mele
Staff
Staff

Post by Mele » Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:01 am

I leveled up again. Graph into a blanket? Check!

http://imgur.com/a/PzBwi
Beshaba potatoes.
Mele
Staff
Staff

Post by Mele » Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:50 pm

http://imgur.com/Q4TolRU

For my mom's low income freshly immigrated new to the cold winters students, I am sending this with her for their Christmas goodies. 30 scarves total, 4 for her teachers aides.
Beshaba potatoes.
Gwain
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Gwain » Tue Dec 13, 2016 12:04 am

Wow...How long did 30 scarves take to complete?
Justice is not neccesarily honourable, it is a tolerable business, in essence you tolerate honour until it impedes justice, then you do what is right.

Spelling is not necessarily correct :)
Mele
Staff
Staff

Post by Mele » Tue Dec 13, 2016 12:24 am

About a month, skipping days working. I flew Nov 11 so I started Nov 12. Today is Dec 12. There were pretty good chunks of days which I did nothing.
Beshaba potatoes.