Reviewing game organisations: The Spy Guild

For the discussion of general topics about the game.
Kirkus
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Kirkus » Sat Nov 24, 2007 4:55 pm

I like the idea of the Red Sashes. I don't know why, but I always seem to lean toward keeping things close to cannon as possible. The Red Sashes even gives us a seldom seen angle to the game. Good vs. Good. Wowser! I get excited just thinking of the endless possabilites this group could bring to the table.
I am ready to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter.
Tortus
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Re: Reviewing game organisations: The Spy Guild

Post by Tortus » Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:22 am

Now that there's been elections and whatnot, maybe the idea of the Red Sashes could make for some fun roleplay. I'm thinking that if the organization were to be implemented into the game, one of the new PC lords could get to know the identity of its leader, who would also be a PC, but whose identity would be unknown to the actual members of the Red Sashes. In that way, efforts could be coordinated in an interesting manner.

On the question of what to do with the spies guild, I think it could generate more roleplay as an organization which would welcome all manners of characters. I understand this was not the original purpose of the guild, but things are always changing for the better.
Rhiel
Sword Apprentice
Sword Apprentice

Post by Rhiel » Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:04 pm

Is this a dead topic, or is it still under discussion?
Raona wrote:
Bug testing follow-up: I just took a look at a dead shield dwarf, and it showed up as made from mithril.
Balek wrote:
This is not a bug. Shield dwarves are actually made of mithril.
Kirkus
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Kirkus » Fri May 29, 2009 3:20 am

Was just cruising through the boards, rediscovered this one. So I dusted off the discussion, and pulled out my copy of Waterdeep:City of Splendors...

I think the Red Sashes would actually be a really good fit for Waterdeep and the goodie community. I have an old character I haven't played in a while that was a good rogue. Why? because there was too little to do with a good rogue. This could give those people something to do.

One thing I like about the Red Sashes is that it isn't only rogues, it also has positions available, in the source book, for bards, fighters, and rangers. To me this means we could open it up to everyone.

Another thing is that its goal is basically justice by any means. They are vigilantes. If the Watch pursues an innocent person, the Red Sashes will assist his escape. Or if the Watch is disinclined to pursue someone who has committed a crime, the Red Sashes will attempt to apprehend the wrongdoer and deposit him on the Palace steps. The Red Sashes answer only to "the One" who is actually Durnan

Obviously we could have one of the newly appointed Lords become "the One". This would give the organization a pc leader and that is always a good thing.
I am ready to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter.
Harroghty
Staff
Staff

Post by Harroghty » Fri May 29, 2009 12:13 pm

Regarding ideas like this: I recommend to follow the instructions in the help for Mercenary Bands, Adventuring Parties, and Fellowships. The requirements for these are simple and it can be accomplished by players interested in such a group. Some of the "canon" organizations may require the administration to initiate their inclusion in the game, but a similar organization only requires the administration's approval of a player application that follows the guidelines in the pertinent help files.
"A man may die yet still endure if his work enters the greater work, for time is carried upon a current of forgotten deeds, and events of great moment are but the culmination of a single carefully placed thought." - Chime of Eons