Some Newbie Area Help

For the discussion of general topics about the game.
Vaemar
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Re: Some Newbie Area Help

Post by Vaemar » Tue May 09, 2017 1:58 pm

I am of the opnion that the issue should be solved at its root: i.e. make the gibberlings considerably weaker, remove them or replace them with something weaker.

In general multiplayer games, not just MUDs, nowadays are extremely forgiving in the starting areas, becoming only more dangerous afterwards. The few that are not like that have very clear disclaimers, as in Alinor's suggestion. And Forgotten Kingdoms has disclaimers as well, in fact, for particularly dangerous areas, such as the Underdark. However I don't think FK has truly that dangerous environment to need such a harsh tutorial. In fact the tutorials for other cities, including those in the Undedark (!), are way less lethal than Waterdeep one. Neither are particularly lethal the areas immediately after the tutorial in Waterdeep itself, such as the Snookery, and the first section of Rat Hill with the rats.

Even in the tutorial itself the "boss fights" such as Pugran, Tiny and the other guy are way easier to defeat than any gibberling, which makes little sense, i.e. the filler monsters should not be much stronger than the bosses.

I have also noticed another issue with the tutorial this morning: the gibberling that drops the key drops it only once. This implies that if one dies on the other side of the chasm, they will not be able to go back into Pugran's room, since it is locked, and they won't be able to get another peg to go on the other side of the chasm.
Vaemar
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Vaemar » Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:32 pm

Okay, Pugran is now back to normal and gives pegs as usual.

In these months I managed to observe the tutorial thoroughly while farming pegs and I have the following suggestions:

- Turn the current no fight rooms into no mobs rooms, so that the gibberling cannot remain stuck there.

- Change the gibberlings' npc's race from gibberling into gnome, so they will use punches and not bites.

- Make the qbit that you get when getting the key from the gibberling, not prevent people from getting other keys. I.e. turn the gibberling that gives the key into something like Pugran that gives another peg (No point in Pugran giving other pegs if he is in a locked room and the peg on the other side of the chasm).

I think that these small modifications could make the tutorial a much smoother experience for new users.
tiyari
Sword Novice
Sword Novice

Post by tiyari » Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:59 am

I'm a returning player, been back for a couple weeks. I have a newbie character stuck behind a locked door below the Dripping Dagger.
I know there's a quest or several in this area--I've done them in the past--but it's been five years or so. I was gone for so long that I can't remember commands, and there isn't an easy way to get help with what I need without asking very specific questions.
I find DIKU often limiting in terms of commands, the way you interact with NPCs is limited, and the only way I know to start the interaction over is to leave then walk back in, depending on the nPC.
Other systems work well--combat, magic. Mostly it's just quests that prove problematic for me. Maybe most don't have this difficulty--I know i'm not good at connecting the dots a lot of times. Just stuck and not sure where to go with this ramble of mine.
I was looking online to see if there was any help to be found, and came across the forums, so here I am.
Grenwyn
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Grenwyn » Sat Sep 05, 2020 9:45 am

I've had a few absences myself. In cases like that I just start a new character and run through the tutorial until I remember how everything works. It doesn't take terribly long.
Kalahani Ka'uhane
Gottschalk, Witchdoctah