Magic Mirror/RP/PK

For the discussion of general topics about the game.
Brar
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Brar » Thu Aug 10, 2006 8:08 am

It was not 'changing a spell because someone does not want to be watched', it was 'making sure there is a way to counter it'
Because every spell like this should have a counter for me. Like every sword movement have a parry and every element have his opposed element.

Now that Kregor made it clear about what spell is for what it's good.
Your friendly house-elf,
Brar
Glim
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Glim » Thu Aug 10, 2006 8:54 am

Shabanna wrote:If you wanna do something wicked with your "baddie" and do not want to be busted.... BE CLEVER and MORE covert *cough*... remember, there is always someone who could easily thwart your plans...fair and square ;)

Sorry... I know I am digressing... but I think the problem is we all start talking about changing code and so forth... and really... this has more to do with RP IMHO. Motivation creates action... and ROLEPLAY. If you got busted doing something EEeeeeviiiilll ...sorry... someone was watching you *shrug* and there is no promise that you can wander around unchecked... period. I see no reason to change a spell cause someone does not want to be watched. :roll:
Well, see, the thing is. You cant be MORE covert when no matter what someone can just cast a spell and see exactly what your doing. Or a couple of spells. There should always be counters to something, and counters to counters, and counters to counters to counters, and so on. This wouldnt be exactly fair for the person being scried. If they are smart, they should have a way of countering it.

And seems like Kregor puts it nicely.

So true sight counters nondetection. Mind blank counters magic mirror. So you can keep from being scried, but if you wanna keep from being seen up close, better pray they dont have true sight. This is like a magedual to see who is better equipped :P

I love it!
Glim asks Gwain 'Can I be on the watch?!?'
Gwain raises an eyebrow.
Gwain seems to display a look of complete horror for a second...
Selveem
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Selveem » Sat Jan 20, 2007 3:23 am

See, you know I really have a disagreement here. Okay, yeah, sure there are counters. But, unless you're a caster you're SoL. In D&D they make it fair and at _least_ give you the ability to know when someone is scrying you. I really would like something in the code that made it at least fair to the 'victim.' When you steal from someone, there's a chance they _know_ you're stealing from them. When someone casts charm on you, you have a resistance possibility to that spell. For scrying, you are simply as code considers the 'victim.' I believe that is all the anti-scrying people are trying to say here. They don't think it should be removed from the game. They are just asking a little consideration. Yes, RP is great and wonderful, but not forced. No players should be _forcing_ RP on another. It's just like if a good-aligned person were RPing with an evil and the evil wanted to become offensive to the point of PK (or vice-versa, of course), the one cannot force the other into a PK situation without leaving a feeling of resentment and possibly a nice little note to complaints email. While your intention is not to harass, the feeling is there. You are telling that other player 'your time is not my own and by my own determination you will have to deal with me when I choose.'

Not only would I find this offensive, I would find it disrespectful to me as a player. Especially if I were playing a non-caster and you know OOC I have no chance in the Hells to possibly deter your attempts or even sense that you are remotely stalking me.
Lathander
Staff
Staff

Post by Lathander » Sat Jan 20, 2007 5:41 am

I understand that you've been away for awhile and are probably, and enjoyably so, going back and catching up on a LOT of posts/discussions.

Why do you think it is wrong for a caster to do something that a non-caster cannot counter? Should every fighter be able to see every PC under the influence of "invisibility?" Should every fighter be able to use a sword to attack a flying person? Should a mage get five attacks so they can fight alongside fighters? No to all of the above. Each class MUST be different and have strengths that others do not. I have mortal PCs that I KNEW to be watched from afar. I never sensed this, I knew because I was told. I loved it. My PC hated it, but I loved it. It added to my enjoyment and thrill of playing. Where could I go that others could not suddenly appear?

I only agree to the stand point that it is rather rude and somewhat un-IC to constantly scry on random individuals. Do it if you have a reason. But even then, if we say it is ok for a fighter to go and wipe out an entire area of mobs to practice weapon skills, it shouldn't be taboo for a caster to look in on you and improve a spell.

There's nothing like someone asking via tell "What are you doing?" and wondering "Hmmm do they already know, or are they just asking?"
Lathander,
Commander of Creativity
Selveem
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Selveem » Sat Jan 20, 2007 6:01 am

Well, I suppose you're right. I know what you mean. But at the same time those people scrying and teleporting in at their own leisure would feel pretty frustrated if they were playing a character and some geared Orcs started moving in on that particular character at their own leisure.

What I'm trying to say is that everyone still has to remember that they are not the only one playing the game for enjoyment. Repeatedly scrying someone in my opinion may also be a form of borderline harassment just as much as the above-listed example.

I am not opposed to scry. I like the spell. My mage had it. My mage used it. He did not, however, use it all the time.

Anything can be justified IC. Even the Orcs parading repeatedly as people are just taking some of their OOC frustration out on some hobgoblins in a specific area that promotes their genocide.

That's all I'm trying to say. :P
Japcil
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Japcil » Sat Jan 20, 2007 6:06 am

Hopefully no one will take this as a threat.

If you have a problem with someone constantly casting a spell to watch over you, the IMM's are constantly monitoring the game, whether during a RP or not, if you are afraid that you maybe scryed and found in an area you should be, then dont go there. I see no reason for a limitation of the scry spells other then knowing who your looking for.
Lathander
Staff
Staff

Post by Lathander » Sat Jan 20, 2007 6:09 am

I hear you. If someone misuses any spell or skill to obsession and is harassing other players, it will be dealt with. Just as if one player was singled out consistently by another and repeatedly slain with thin IC justification. It is really a matter of degree and reasonability. Based on the responses to our rules discussion/polls, I am even more encouraged and thankful for our intelligent and concsiencious (?sp) player base.
Lathander,
Commander of Creativity
Japcil
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Japcil » Sat Jan 20, 2007 6:12 am

Leave it to the god of creativity to make up words... sorry couldn't help myself.

Yes, however i fail to see how just looking at where another character is can lead to harassment.