Pregnancy Length

For the discussion of general topics about the game.
Oghma
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Oghma » Sun Jun 17, 2007 8:07 pm

No Isolrem it means that as players we are entitled to voicing our own opinions over matters. It was also explained that in the event of a unique pregnancy application all points of view and opinions are discussed and a majority descision is made. As Kelemvor explained:
If it was the decision of the majority to allow an Orc pregnancy application then I would of course support it in every way.
May you find the knowledge you seek. If you find something else, it is still knowledge, and as such, still a gain.
Lerytha
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Lerytha » Sun Aug 26, 2007 12:15 pm

A quick question:

The spell "polymorph", would it affect a mage carrying a child? My reading of the situation is that your clothes disappear, but that as you polymorph your child polymorphs as well. So it would be perfectly safe? And maybe the adjective of the polymorphee would be "pregnant bird" "pregnant wolf" (etc)? Basically, I am of the belief that to polymorph would not ICly hurt a baby.

What does everyone else think?
If you have knowledge, let others light their candles with it.

--Sir Winston Churchill

"This place is boring, I'm gonna go eat whatever I can find laying on the ground"

-- Hoildric

Cacie asks Larethiel 'Did that air just bow to you?
Emrys
Sword Apprentice
Sword Apprentice

Post by Emrys » Sun Aug 26, 2007 2:05 pm

I think the real question would be, 'How long is the baby considered to be part of the mother's form?'

We can assume the baby would be a willing subject, because it loves mom. But the spell only affects one willing creature (according to the SRD).

If the baby is considered a separate entity right from conception, I would think this spell would cause great harm to the child, probably spontaneously aborting it.

If it's still considered part of mom, there would be no issue at all. I'm of the opinion that if this is the case, the final shape does not need to be pregnant.

If I were the DM and this was my call (it is not, of course), I would rule that a pregnant mage could not use this spell without harming the fetus. And, if they attempted to cast it, they would sense the harm it could cause and stop casting, if desired.
The truth cant hurt you its just like the dark
It scares you witless
But in time you see things clear and stark
Shabanna
Sword Master
Sword Master

Post by Shabanna » Sun Aug 26, 2007 2:24 pm

Hrm I am not sure why one would NEED to cast polymorph self whilst preggo...
IMHO... and it is *just* and opinion... A goodly mother might try to keep herself out of situations needing such spells in order to protect the fetus. In this time period people assumed anything could harm the baby even if it could not. Nowadays we do all sorts of things like areobics and yoga whilst preggo.. working until we practically pop before taking maternity leave etc. BUT, back in this time period, people were vastly different. People were superstitious and wary when a woman was pregnant. That is sort of the way I think of pregnancy on FK. ( and how I personally deal with it) though.. again that is all my opinion... and really means very little! lol

That all said.. I am sure it would need and IMM ruling. I cant personally imagine any instance that this would be required of a person. There are many RP choices one can make as an alternative. Though, I am a odd person I think *poofing* from one place to another would also be questionable as a preggo mage as ... we all know the weave is not a guarantee of safety. One could end up in front of a dragon or some craziness! And I would not personally... want to take that risk. XD but I have no mage characters... and I play my preggo characters a bit differently than some. It is all about personal preference in most cases but, I would think that we might want a ruling from the Imm currently in charge of bellies ;) Since magic is a whole new ball of wax :P

Banna
"May Fortune climb into your lap and refuse to leave"
Builder Council: Journeyman
Lerytha
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Lerytha » Sun Aug 26, 2007 3:14 pm

I stand correct on polymorphing. :)

I would like to just say though... often in medieval cultures, people who were pregnant had to work constantly. In sub-Saharan Africa nowadays, women give birth in the fields, pick up the baby and carry on. In the modern (recent) world, women now feel comfortable in working till quite heavily pregnant. I know the fact that medieval women often still had to work has driven my "independent" "refuse-to-be-coddled" pregnant RP, in a direct opposite to Shabanna. :) Its been thought out though, in regards to ways people were treated in those times/modern parallels.

As for teleporting, I suppose it depends how skilled you are in those spells. ;)

--Sir Winston Churchill

"This place is boring, I'm gonna go eat whatever I can find laying on the ground"

-- Hoildric

Sairaven
Sword Master
Sword Master

Post by Sairaven » Sun Aug 26, 2007 6:12 pm

Personally, in campaigns I have run in the past I have always ruled that magic use has a chance to affect the fetus. Basic spells that have no direct effect on the caster rarely have that chance (low %), while spells that affect the caster but not drastically (shield, Otiluke's Resilient Sphere, etc) have a higher chance (25-40%). Any spell that drastically affect the caster (polymorphs, teleports, stoneskin, Beltyn's Burning Blood, etc) carry a higher risk that something happens to the child (50%+).

Rarely is the child affected to the point of termination. However, as a mage I once GMed for will tell you: a childbirth of a baby that was affected by Beltyn's Burning Blood is not normal. Quite painful, in fact. I don't think the mage ever quite recovered...
Madness does not always howl. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "Hey, is there room in your head for one more?"
~Despair.com
----
Sairaven - Dusk Echo of Helm
Quey - The Broken Blade
Vagan Silversword, Warwizard
Rhiel
Sword Apprentice
Sword Apprentice

Post by Rhiel » Sun Aug 26, 2007 6:21 pm

Very interesting! Being a DM myself, I find that quite useful. lol. Maybe we should have a general D&D P&P forum? Seems like you guys know your stuff! If it's ok with the author, mind if I use that system in my current campaign, as I have a female sorceress who is currently pregnant?

Back to your regularly scheduled pregnancy debate...didn't mean to diverge on a tangent, but I couldn't resist.
Raona wrote:
Bug testing follow-up: I just took a look at a dead shield dwarf, and it showed up as made from mithril.
Balek wrote:
This is not a bug. Shield dwarves are actually made of mithril.
Lerytha
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Lerytha » Sun Aug 26, 2007 6:21 pm

:O Yowch. I wasn't asking what people thought about casting Beltyn's Burning Blood on my own character! :D lol. Of course, that spell seemed perfectly safe until you pointed out the possible health risks of using it on yourself. ;)

As for the general magic use, I really don't agree. Chosen have been pregnant with no problem, Netheril used magic for everyday tasks (and logically, when pregnant), without ill effect. I see the point about polymorph, but not magic use in general.

~Ol

--Sir Winston Churchill

-- Hoildric

Rhiel
Sword Apprentice
Sword Apprentice

Post by Rhiel » Sun Aug 26, 2007 6:28 pm

I see it! The Weave is nearly a living thing. It flows through all things, and affects all things. It is a force unto itself, in fact, how could it NOT have an affect? Especially considering that magic users are those (IMO) who are given permission (or at least tolerated) to tamper with and use the Weave. I think it's perfectly logical that such effects would be commonplace.
Raona wrote:
Bug testing follow-up: I just took a look at a dead shield dwarf, and it showed up as made from mithril.
Balek wrote:
This is not a bug. Shield dwarves are actually made of mithril.
Mele
Staff
Staff

Post by Mele » Sun Aug 26, 2007 6:39 pm

When Mele was pregnant, I specifically read when doing research that they believed using magic affected the child. That doesn't mean all alts ever feel that way.

Polymorph.. moves your insides... A bear has their uteris a different place than an elf.. I really think it would be really bad, personally. Strictly me, tho.
Beshaba potatoes.
Oghma
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Oghma » Sun Aug 26, 2007 8:53 pm

I'm against the child changing within the magic field, but I am for potential damages to occur with the child. An example would be the mother changing into a tree then dying. As the tree grows the child is still in the tree until a lightning storm splits it open revealing a fully grown individual, having grown over the years. I could see that happening.
May you find the knowledge you seek. If you find something else, it is still knowledge, and as such, still a gain.
Sairaven
Sword Master
Sword Master

Post by Sairaven » Mon Aug 27, 2007 5:54 am

That is actually a REALLY cool idea for a ranger or a druid...
Madness does not always howl. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "Hey, is there room in your head for one more?"
~Despair.com
----
Sairaven - Dusk Echo of Helm
Quey - The Broken Blade
Vagan Silversword, Warwizard
Horace
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Horace » Mon Aug 27, 2007 3:54 pm

It won't damage the baby, and everything would be normal for the caster. If the caster is held, the child is held. The mother's will save is the save for the child's, much like the mother's eating is the eating for the child...mechanically they're one entity. They share way too much physiologically. Think of it more like an ettin, than two entirely separated people...they will be one being until birth.

Whatever a character believes, would be entirely different.
Listen up! People pay good money to see this movie! When they go out to a theater they want cold sodas, hot popcorn, and no monsters in the projection booth! Do I have to come up there myself? Do you think the Gremsters can stand up to the Hulkster?
Lerytha
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Lerytha » Mon Aug 27, 2007 4:07 pm

Pregnant women are ettins! :lol:

--Sir Winston Churchill

-- Hoildric

Mele
Staff
Staff

Post by Mele » Mon Aug 27, 2007 6:43 pm

Lerytha wrote:Pregnant women are ettins! :lol:

Peh.. :\
Beshaba potatoes.
Shabanna
Sword Master
Sword Master

Post by Shabanna » Tue Aug 28, 2007 1:44 am

Lerytha wrote: I know the fact that medieval women often still had to work has driven my "independent" "refuse-to-be-coddled" pregnant RP, in a direct opposite to Shabanna. :) Its been thought out though, in regards to ways people were treated in those times/modern parallels.

As for teleporting, I suppose it depends how skilled you are in those spells. ;)
2 things...

1. Actually.. you had the impression ....that Shabanna was coddled ROFLMAO YAY!!! That means all that sneaking around worked and fooled you ICLY ;) MUhahahaha* But it shows... You really have no idea the things that Shabanna might or might not have done ICLy. However, I know some imms did ;) and I kept that in mid when I RPd...the way I chose. Just like you will RP the way you choose!

2. I did not say you could not use magic or teleport ... though I would say there is ALWAYS a risk even if you are GM at them ;P and that risk.. I would think would taint MY choices. ( again... I have been preggo IRL and gave up everything from caffeine and imitation sweeteners including dying my hair and using harsh chemicals to clean with... I speak based on what *i* felt in real life when I was preggo. BUT.. then there are women on crack who justify its use because they enjoy it ... with no regard at all for thier kids :P so who am I to say lol

I say... RP how you want but if it is about a specific spell I would look to your friendly neighborhood belly imm to get that answer ;) ..that... is really what I meant.

Okay.. im out...
banna
"May Fortune climb into your lap and refuse to leave"
Builder Council: Journeyman