Advertise or Die 3.0

For the discussion of general topics about the game.
Harroghty
Staff
Staff

Re: Advertise or Die 3.0

Post by Harroghty » Wed Aug 31, 2016 2:11 pm

I just made a reddit log in and upvoted. If you follow this link (http://www.reddit.com/r/mud/comments/506y4v/) and click the plus next to Forgotten Kingdoms it will walk you through the process in less than a minute. We're tied for second in what is really a three way race (one has 7 votes, us and one other have 6 votes).

Thanks for taking the lead on this, Rhytania.
"A man may die yet still endure if his work enters the greater work, for time is carried upon a current of forgotten deeds, and events of great moment are but the culmination of a single carefully placed thought." - Chime of Eons
Vaemar
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Vaemar » Wed Aug 31, 2016 4:32 pm

We have 7 votes right now? Come on, guys!
Harroghty
Staff
Staff

Post by Harroghty » Wed Aug 31, 2016 4:56 pm

An easy win. Let's get some upvotes here because the publicity matters.
"A man may die yet still endure if his work enters the greater work, for time is carried upon a current of forgotten deeds, and events of great moment are but the culmination of a single carefully placed thought." - Chime of Eons
Bellayana
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Bellayana » Wed Aug 31, 2016 6:23 pm

Bam. Done.
The belief in a supernatural evil is not necessary;
Men alone are quite capable of every wickedness.
-Joseph Conrad, Under Western Eyes

-Tofuergus Greenroot, Gnomish Ranger
Lylena
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Lylena » Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:22 am

Re-re-re-reseeeeetttttt!

Get your vote on, yo!
For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "If I die, you are forgiven. If I live, I will kill you."
Such is the rule of honor.
Rhytania
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Rhytania » Thu Sep 01, 2016 2:33 pm

Haters keep down voting us, but we're still in the lead on r/mud.
Bellayana
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Bellayana » Thu Sep 01, 2016 2:41 pm

TMC has reset, don't forget to vote.
The belief in a supernatural evil is not necessary;
Men alone are quite capable of every wickedness.
-Joseph Conrad, Under Western Eyes

-Tofuergus Greenroot, Gnomish Ranger
Harroghty
Staff
Staff

Post by Harroghty » Thu Sep 01, 2016 4:13 pm

The replies to your post on reddit have more likes than some of the other MUDs have. Please keep voting in both places. Reddit decides tonight and each month on TMC is decided early usually. Momentum matters!
Vaemar
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Vaemar » Fri Sep 02, 2016 1:04 pm

https://www.reddit.com/r/MUD/comments/5 ... er_winner/

I did not tell it earlier, but it appears the winner is selected randomly.
We must be persevering and candidate FK every month in order to win.
The fact alone that we candidate FK in the nomination thread is already good advertising IMHO.
Rhytania
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Rhytania » Tue Sep 13, 2016 1:45 pm

6 Points away from 3rd place. Vote people.
Jarngron
Sword Journeyman
Sword Journeyman

Post by Jarngron » Thu Sep 15, 2016 7:42 am

Ever think of trying Rewards for Advertising 1.0?

It doesn't sound as cool, and might seem like a shill, but hear me out: publicity stunts pay big when it comes time to vote, if that is the goal.

A well-written review regardless of opinion; on a blog, mud review site, tabletop thread, and wherever appropriate can create massive exposure in a short time. A simplistic restring, a custom vanity item, these are the things your roleplayers want the most anyway. It reproduces its popularity.

Once exposed to how awesome the game is (thank you all so much for adapting our consistent world, building areas based on our whims of roleplay at times) players will join and want to get the reward, generating more reviews.

Now the downside is this is unsustainable growth, however if the staff is prepared to deal with all the Noober clones you will come out ahead.

I personally suggest short stories about character backgrounds, or possibly even sharing logs of your favorite things in game.

The truth is the GMs/DMs/Admins and most players care about the game - and consequently each others roleplay. Most places? The withering grognards are too lazy to take their plot off rails, let alone actually consider throwing out their hard work in areas because some peasant player decided to replant a forest!

Here, the environment is very much alive, the rails are rusty and missing in places. The fact is this is the sort of game you would pay money for, given how much work goes into our good times. Correct me if I'm wrong but, do those pay-to-play MUDs bother knocking down walls while their bots fight each other?
Cattle die
kinsmen die
all men are mortal.
Words of praise
will never perish
nor a noble name.

- Hávamál
Rhytania
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Rhytania » Thu Sep 15, 2016 9:17 am

If we start trading items/favors/restrings for votes then it defeats the purpose and as soon as word gets out it undermines what we are trying to do. That's a path I believe we should not go down.

As far as the unsustainable growth. I don't think we are nearly anywhere near critical mass. I remember when the mud would hit 40 - 60+ for special occasions, and excuse if i'm speaking outside my lane, but I doubt the extra load of 20 people would cause issues. As far the mass of noobies, i always said that if we advertise to 100 to get the attention of the 10, to hope to keep the 1, then its a success. Even if just 10% of the people who try the mud stick, then it was worth the effort.

I think that we are in a point where we have to mix it up a bit. The mud world is supersaturated right now with generic clone muds. Add in the dwindling playerbase (of muds in general) All those ads and marketing campaigns kind of blur. I think we need to come up with more out of the box thinking. Actively plugging the mud in not only mud posts, but all things Roleplay, CRPG, FR, and Dnd. Heck I've been livestreaming here and there on twitch and got a couple of interested people asking questions and curious about what a mud is, even picked up a person or two from my old table top games, gotten a hold of some of the older inactive playerbase, and even started to look for new venues to plug fk like on reddit. I know once they try the game and make it past the starter area then we got them.

Some more ideas to is to look out for the newer players, message them oocly ask them if they need any help and try and point them in the right direction via help files/question channel. The initial curve for a non mud player is steep, and its those little things we do as as a collective playerbase that really makes an impression.
Alitar
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Alitar » Thu Sep 15, 2016 9:56 am

Incentising voting or reviewing sounds unethical, as it evidently would bias these things. What is more, I'm fairly certain TMC bans MUDs from the roster for doing so however I can't seem to locate the rules page today to confirm that. It is hiding I guess.
"The noir hero is a knight in blood caked armour. He's dirty and he does his best to deny the fact that he's a hero the whole time."
~Frank Miller
Harroghty
Staff
Staff

Post by Harroghty » Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:54 am

I dislike the idea of rewarding voting or reviews. We do well in voting without that besides.

We could always profit from more reviews and shared experiences. People should feel free to post and share those so longs as they don't represent themselves as staff or admin in doing so.
Vaemar
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Vaemar » Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:31 pm

Players may not be offered incentives or rewards for casting votes for any given mud (that is, players may not receive anything more than the satisfaction for casting their one vote per day for their favorite mud).
Source: http://www.mudconnect.com/rankings_info.html
Alitar
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Alitar » Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:21 pm

Thank you Vaemar, it was staring me in the face the whole time.
"The noir hero is a knight in blood caked armour. He's dirty and he does his best to deny the fact that he's a hero the whole time."
~Frank Miller
Jarngron
Sword Journeyman
Sword Journeyman

Post by Jarngron » Thu Sep 15, 2016 6:56 pm

I certainly wouldn't suggest doing anything that makes you question your ethics! An honest and well-written review to social media (Facebook, MySpace, reddit, one of the many other MUD review sites, tabletop forums, your old angelfire.com page) generates exposure beyond the target audience.

Everyone on TMC can easily see the game already. Right there in the top 5!
It's actually a good idea to focus on everywhere -else- to reach new players if that is the goal.

This is a marketing ploy though, and I respect that there's no need for it, it was just an idea after all to reach new players. The focus would have been on an honest critique and not just saying how awesome the game is for a reward.

The game is excellent, frankly I believe if there were more bodies there would be more votes without incentive. Even I started voting.
Cattle die
kinsmen die
all men are mortal.
Words of praise
will never perish
nor a noble name.

- Hávamál
Jarngron
Sword Journeyman
Sword Journeyman

Post by Jarngron » Thu Sep 15, 2016 7:03 pm

Rhytania wrote:
Even if just 10% of the people who try the mud stick, then it was worth the effort.

I think that we are in a point where we have to mix it up a bit. The mud world is supersaturated right now with generic clone muds. Add in the dwindling playerbase (of muds in general) All those ads and marketing campaigns kind of blur. I think we need to come up with more out of the box thinking. Actively plugging the mud in not only mud posts, but all things Roleplay, CRPG, FR, and Dnd. Heck I've been livestreaming here and there on twitch and got a couple of interested people asking questions and curious about what a mud is, even picked up a person or two from my old table top games, gotten a hold of some of the older inactive playerbase, and even started to look for new venues to plug fk like on reddit. I know once they try the game and make it past the starter area then we got them.
This is really the heart of advertising in my opinion, not the votes. How true, how true. I could not agree more.
Cattle die
kinsmen die
all men are mortal.
Words of praise
will never perish
nor a noble name.

- Hávamál
Vaemar
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Vaemar » Sun Sep 18, 2016 12:21 pm

So, Rhytania is simply too awesome.

Today he made a recording of a Let's play on his twitch channel and here it is: https://www.twitch.tv/baddkarmah/v/90020520

It is only rp for now, with some twists and some moral dilemma, we really tried our best and I think the result was not bad. Next will be some videos with combat and questing. But for starters this is already something we can link to, in order to show how FK looks like.

We also posted on r/mmorpg and we got people who were interested as you can see in the chat. :)
Gwain
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Gwain » Thu Sep 22, 2016 2:51 am

Hey fellows, just remember that you it shouldn't broadcast/spoil sensitive quests like undermountain encounters over the internet. I enjoy seeing the rp as much as the next person but we don't want to put up guides for sensitive areas that could be abused. It's fine to advertise the mud in all, just be wary of walkthrus.
Justice is not neccesarily honourable, it is a tolerable business, in essence you tolerate honour until it impedes justice, then you do what is right.

Spelling is not necessarily correct :)