Advertise or Die 3.0

For the discussion of general topics about the game.
Rhytania
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Re: Advertise or Die 3.0

Post by Rhytania » Thu Sep 22, 2016 4:54 am

Yep Im aware. The focus is showcasing the mud, rp, and diversity. Not create walk through or guides. The only questline so far showcased was batter hill and it wasn't in first person perspective but rather rpd through in a group and wasn't to completion just a small snippet to showcase the npc's and their dialogue scripts.
Vaemar
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Vaemar » Thu Sep 22, 2016 10:56 am

If you want to showcase how a quest works there is no way to do that without revealing at least some info to those who view it. The choice is between that and not showcasing quests at all.

It is a no brainer that the latter option means not reporting what is a very well done feature of the game.

So a compromise must be found in order to show the game properly in all its points of strength. In the three broadcasts recorded on twitch whatever is revealed is not but the tip of the iceberg of what can be discovered in game and nowhere comparable to a walkthrough. I am also not aware of any Undermountain encounter having ever been streamed. ?_?
Harroghty
Staff
Staff

Post by Harroghty » Fri Sep 23, 2016 3:39 am

So I watched the streaming. Part of my job in real life is demonstrating software. I try to do it as succinctly and infrequently as possible because while it is sometimes necessary, it is also really boring. No one likes seeing software as much as they like the potential benefit from the software, right?

My recommendation would be that maybe some of these RPs could be either presented in cleaned up logs or lightly rewritten as stories in order to be more digestible for the general population. While the RP here was good and I think that would appeal to the sort of person we would like to play, the fact that it plays out slowly over a few hours might make it less accessible. What do you think?
"A man may die yet still endure if his work enters the greater work, for time is carried upon a current of forgotten deeds, and events of great moment are but the culmination of a single carefully placed thought." - Chime of Eons
Rhytania
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Rhytania » Fri Sep 23, 2016 4:56 am

I think any medium that can showcase FK and draw in people is good.

The log/shortstory niche I pitched a couple of times:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=14453&p=92815#p92815

2) I have talked about, and pitched, this a couple of times. A place where we can send in logs of RP sessions, that have been cleaned and formated into a story like narrative of RP's that you have logged. This would be beneficial as it can show new people (even old players) the type of RP and stories that happen here, as well as give the mud a sense of history. I cant count how many 3 am RP sessions happen that are just insane good, yet no one will ever know about it becuase once those characters fall of the grid, everything goes with them. Of course someone will have to go through and vet the logs, but I have seen this done in other places (mush's/moo's) and its help the players have a general sense of what is happening around them.
and here:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=9180
What I find missing is History. Not the lore or the setting stuff which there is plenty of and its good but the actually history of the playerbase. Its funny cause I think back to old roleplays, events, and world shaking moments, and I am saddend to know all of those good moments gone except for the memories of a few who still remain. On my main character that I started back in late 2001 (before the great mud crash of '02 that wiped the game out, cause of some damn storm in ireland, for like +3 months, who remembers that btw? :P ) history wasnt a problem, everyone was new, heck the mud was still pretty new, so it wasnt that big a deal. Now I talk to people and say hey remember when.... and more often than not its blank stares. I know in a ever changing game that is completely dynamic, with characters coming and going and story lines starting and ending, this is inevitable, but if I had to name one flaw that would be it. (So all you damn Ohgmites get to work and start chronicling this stuff for the next generation! :twisted: )
The stream was just something that was in my control that could do. FK is great and I want the whole world to know about it. Twitch was just one Avenue where I saw a chance we could reach a broad audience with minimal effort and maybe get one or two to try it out.
Harroghty
Staff
Staff

Post by Harroghty » Fri Sep 23, 2016 3:09 pm

Agreed. I think, to some degree, Oscar Wilde has the right of it. Thanks for the effort.

Regarding those other ideas, you might post some of those things in this new forum. I will slowly migrate stuff from elsewhere to the new forum.
"A man may die yet still endure if his work enters the greater work, for time is carried upon a current of forgotten deeds, and events of great moment are but the culmination of a single carefully placed thought." - Chime of Eons
Larethiel
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Larethiel » Fri Sep 23, 2016 3:10 pm

You do not have the required permissions to read topics within this forum.
Is that intended?
Weit in der Champagne im Mittsommergrün,
dort, wo zwischen Grabkreuzen Mohnblumen blühn,
da flüstern die Gräser und wiegen sich leicht
im Wind, der sanft über das Gräberfeld streicht.
Vaemar
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Vaemar » Fri Sep 23, 2016 3:11 pm

Same here.
Harroghty
Staff
Staff

Post by Harroghty » Fri Sep 23, 2016 3:29 pm

Now?
Larethiel
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Larethiel » Fri Sep 23, 2016 3:30 pm

Still the same message.
Andreas
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Andreas » Fri Sep 23, 2016 3:32 pm

No permission for the new forum here either.
Helm keep thee.
Larethiel
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Larethiel » Fri Sep 23, 2016 3:33 pm

Now it works. Thanks, Harroghty.
Vaemar
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Vaemar » Fri Sep 23, 2016 3:35 pm

I can see it if I am logged, but if I try to open it while logged off it prompts me to log on.

I think it should be a forum visible also to unregistered users in my humble opinion.
Harroghty
Staff
Staff

Post by Harroghty » Fri Sep 23, 2016 3:36 pm

Yes, it just took a moment to do the permissions manually. It is visible to guests and can be edited only by members. For some reason, it did not correctly copy permissions the first time and I had to go back and do it by hand.
Vaemar
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Vaemar » Fri Sep 23, 2016 3:36 pm

Everything working fine now. :)
Harroghty
Staff
Staff

Post by Harroghty » Fri Sep 23, 2016 3:43 pm

In addition, we will soon begin A/B testing on a new starting process which will include skill-level based teaching. I will advertise this via TMC when it's live and running smoothly.
Alitar
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Alitar » Fri Sep 23, 2016 6:38 pm

This forum is something I look forward to reading in, thank you Harroghty.
"The noir hero is a knight in blood caked armour. He's dirty and he does his best to deny the fact that he's a hero the whole time."
~Frank Miller
Vaemar
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Vaemar » Tue Nov 01, 2016 12:48 pm

Reset day, vote day! It is very important to get the lead in this moment, to keep it for a while.
Harroghty
Staff
Staff

Post by Harroghty » Wed Nov 02, 2016 1:28 am

Well done! 2d Place.
Alitar
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Alitar » Thu Nov 03, 2016 7:21 am

One vote behind first.
"The noir hero is a knight in blood caked armour. He's dirty and he does his best to deny the fact that he's a hero the whole time."
~Frank Miller
Harroghty
Staff
Staff

Post by Harroghty » Thu Nov 03, 2016 2:58 pm

To my knowledge, we have never been in first place. That would be a great laurel to take. We're coming out of the gate strong this month; let's keep pushing!