[MECHANICS] Vision

A place to suggest new commands, feats, skills, ...
Dalmil
Sword Novice
Sword Novice

[MECHANICS] Vision

Post by Dalmil » Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:39 pm

I know that back in 2E, any race that had any ability to see in the dark were given infravision. Which allowed them to see heat variations in the dark. In the move to the 3E they came up with two other "spectrums" of sight.

Darkvision

Darkvision is the extraordinary ability to see with no light source at all, out to a range specified for the creature.

Darkvision is black and white only (colors cannot be discerned). It does not allow characters to see anything that they could not see otherwise -- invisible objects are still invisible, and illusions are still visible as what they seem to be. Likewise, darkvision subjects a creature to gaze attacks normally.

The presence of light does not spoil darkvision. If a character has darkvision with a 60-foot range, and he stands within a 20-foot radius of light, the character can see normally in the light, and 40 feet beyond the light because of his darkvision.

(Sources: 3E PHB, 3E DM Guide, 3E Monster Manual III)

and

Low-light Vision (Most races with infravision got this as a "normal" vision, to see in illuminated places)

The ability to see in conditions of dim illumination as if the illumination were actually as bright as daylight.

Characters with low-light vision have eyes that are so sensitive to light that they can see twice as far as a human in starlight, moonlight, torchlight, and similar conditions of shadowy illumination. They retain the ability to distinguish color and detail under these conditions. Thus, if a group of adventurers passes down a dark passage with a torch illuminating a 20-foot radius, an elf with low-light vision can see everything within 40 feet of the torch. A spellcaster with low-light vision can read a scroll as long as even the tiniest candle flame is next to her as a source of light.

(Sources: 3E PHB, 3E DM Guide, 3E Monster Manual I, 3E Monster Manual III)

Just a bit of background. Naturally I left out infravision, because, lets face it, if you don't know what that is... eh.. what game have you been playing?! :lol:

I know the game is progressively moving towards being completely 3E and this may already be in the works somewhere, but if not, it is my suggestion that the other two means of sight be added to the appropriate races.

Mainly because, even if you play a race that has infravision, ICly you would not be able to see much at all on the surface, the conflicting heat sources would confuse and disorient you. (Reference from FR book: Cattibrie tries to use the Cat's Eye Circlet to see on the surface when they are ambushing a group of orcs, all she could see was a sheet of various heat, with no distinctions). I've also noticed that at night, character vision (if they have infravision) becomes a hybrid of low-light and infravision, you can see the map out to 3x3, but the rooms are all pitch black and all you can see is NPC/PC. When it should be solely low-light vision, as there is a light source, be it moon, stars, light from nearby city, etc... With this, you would essentially be able to "look" in a direction and see everything up to within forty feet of yourself in all directions, you would be able to discern the terrain, read scrolls/books, get stuff off of the ground, and from containers.

If not that, then at least a darkvision spell, so there is another alternative to light without walking around with something glowing on you, Pinpointing you out in the darkness like a beacon so any of ill intent towards you knows where you are from half a mile a way. :P
-Dalmil the Magician