[SKILL] Short Blades and Thrown Projectiles

For the discussion of general topics about the game.
Dalmil
Sword Novice
Sword Novice

[SKILL] Short Blades and Thrown Projectiles

Post by Dalmil » Sun Sep 06, 2009 12:30 am

I have been examining every dagger-like weapon (dirks, kris, and daggers) that I can find and all of them have the thrown projectiles weapon class. While this makes sense... short blades are still of the thrusting blades weapon class, leaving hardly any weaponry that can be used with the short blades skill.

To be honest, the only short blades class weapons I could find was sickles and a kai (which should be exotic, if there was an exotic weapon class.) In short, I suggest that short swords be changed to short blades weapon class, or just some weapons put in game that are short blades class.
-Dalmil the Magician
Lathlain
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Re: [SKILL] Short Blades and Thrown Projectiles

Post by Lathlain » Sun Sep 06, 2009 7:24 am

This is actually more of a game bug than anything else, I'm afraid.

In precis, all weapons of the dagger subcategory are being detected as thrown projectiles, except when they're worn in both hands at which point they become short blades. Go figure! As far as I can tell, it's in a similar vein to the bug that was causing polearms to only count as mounted polearms when worn in both hands - it's definitely a recent issue though.

This was actually reported as a bug over the course of last week, so will hopefully be addressed soon!
"This is General Lath'lain Dy'nesir, of the Ebon Spur. Walking Murder surrounded by a thin veneer of civility."
-Miriel
Harroghty
Staff
Staff

Re: [SKILL] Short Blades and Thrown Projectiles

Post by Harroghty » Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:55 am

In the case that daggers are restored to their original class, I am not sure that short swords would need to be moved. "Short sword" generally refers to a number of shorter swords generally worn by civilians (duelists, gentlemen, etc.) and as weapons of last resort for military personnel (an artilleryman's sword, for example, or a the landsknecht's katzbalger). Many of these were "cut and thrust" types of swords, but since the game discriminates between the two uses I believe that shortswords are best to augment the slim pickings amidst thrusting blades (nevermind that this would involve a pretty wide-spread overhaul of items).
"A man may die yet still endure if his work enters the greater work, for time is carried upon a current of forgotten deeds, and events of great moment are but the culmination of a single carefully placed thought." - Chime of Eons