Items limit and Inventory

For the discussion of general topics about the game.
Nysan
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Items limit and Inventory

Post by Nysan » Fri Sep 11, 2009 1:57 am

Something's been bugging me since I started back up again. I've been playing this game for years and I still don't understand how items limit and inventory seems to work. I'm not talking about dex bonuses, modifiers from equipment, or in combat. I mean the change I seem to notice in values standing around.

Take Gilain for example: Standing in a room, smelting ore. Not changing equipment, not changing positions, nothing that would effect his dex modifiers and his "items: xx/xx" listing in his score sheet can shift from 3/13 to 3/18 and various numbers between.

Never considered this a bug, since I've seen it on all my characters over the years. But, waiting on MV points to regenerate lets the mind wander and I'm actually curious how the value can slide without any apparent outside influence.

(Rather have this pop into my head than one of those "whats the name of that guy from that movie?" questions. This won't drive me nuts trying to get an answer. hehe)
-Gilain- -Trilev- -Siros-

You do not need to change the world, merely leave it a little better than how you found it.
Lathlain
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Re: Items limit and Inventory

Post by Lathlain » Fri Sep 11, 2009 5:26 am

It wouldn't account for as large a change as you're describing, but it's worth bearing in mind that your 'held' slots count as inventory items.

For example -
Elminster can carry up to 10 items in his inventory. If he produces a cursed dagger of unrelenting fury from his bag and wears it in his right hand, it still counts as being in his inventory so his total number of inventory items will drop to 9 to compensate. Once he's calmed down from his bloody rage and decides to switch his dagger for a staff (held in both hands), his maximum number of inventory items will drop to 8. Should he tire of such martial pursuits and decide to put his weapons away to make daisy chains again, his maximum number of inventory items will shoot right back up to 10 (until he picks up his first daisy of course, at which point it's back down to a lowly 9).

Of course I might have got the wrong end of the stick here, and if you've not relinquished the pick from your grasp at any point then I'm just as foxed as you are!
"This is General Lath'lain Dy'nesir, of the Ebon Spur. Walking Murder surrounded by a thin veneer of civility."
-Miriel
Nysan
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Nysan » Fri Sep 11, 2009 6:04 am

The last part. Smithy hammer stayed in hand.

Only thing that moved around was ore and smelted metal rotating from bag to inventory back to bag. Moving things in my hands would at least make sense to me, but I'm not moving anything. I simply have a x/17 item limit one moment, do a few smelt attempts, move the metal, and score sometimes shows a x/14 or x/16 next look.

Looking at Gilain right now, at the start of this post his score showed "items: x/17" and now it shows "items: x/15" and he is just standing in a temple. Its a head scratcher.

You do not need to change the world, merely leave it a little better than how you found it.
Nysan
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Nysan » Fri Sep 11, 2009 6:24 am

Additon: I understand what you mean by the possible 1 or 2 point change. Gilain is a dual weilder and I see that x/17 to x/15 change often. That I understand. Its the times where only 1 hand has something and it seems to bounce around between x/14 and x/16(7) while mining, smelting, or just standing around talking that has me stumped.

I can't even repeat it on purpose to see what causes it, just seems to be random number jumping far as I can tell. Is it score command not being accurate? Something with packrat feat? I have no idea. Is a mystery.

Llaytan
Sword Bumbler
Sword Bumbler

Post by Llaytan » Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:05 am

I think that is possible that it might be a "load" issue, if your load somehow becomes medium or heavy, you get a penalty to your dexterity score which in turn affects to the number of items you can carry in a single moment.

It has been a long time since I fumbled with trades but I think that matter conservation is totally broken with them in which when using X pieces of metal for a total weight of Y, you can get a product with a weight way larger than Y (or smaller).
"Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity" -Seneca
Nysan
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Nysan » Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:17 am

Hmm, possible. Though I've never noticed a weight difference between ore and smelted metal before. Perhaps there is some minor flux in ore/metal weight values I'm not noticing that's causing it. Some unseen calculations between my character stats, packrat, and score... *shrug*

Eh, not exactly an issue cause its a rarity that I need the whole 17 item inventory limit. Like I said, random thoughts of a bored dwarf waiting for MV points to regenerate.

Heck, wouldn't be the first time my characters from ancient coding had weird side effects with new coding.