Clerics, Favored Weapons and 3.5 ruleset

For the discussion of general topics about the game.
Athglor
Sword Novice
Sword Novice

Clerics, Favored Weapons and 3.5 ruleset

Post by Athglor » Sun Jun 06, 2010 8:15 pm

Happy thought of the day:

As FK seems to moving decidedly towards the 3.5 ruleset, I have been thinking about a point that should be addressed; perhaps we still have it as legacy from the second edition ruleset. Some clerics have a extra weapon proficiency related to the favored weapon of their god/godess or weapon used commonly by the clergy that is outside of the list weapons that they can use in 3.5 edition.

My question is if these extra weapon proficiencies should be removed from clerics as a whole (racial weapon proficiencies would be untouched), removed but perhaps clerics could make a quest to earn it without feat expenditure, no-removed and clerics without it could make a quest to earn it without feat expenditure.

What do you think? :D
Hrosskell
Staff
Staff

Re: Clerics, Favored Weapons and 3.5 ruleset

Post by Hrosskell » Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:00 am

While I understand we are moving to 3.5 ED for the sake of "progress," bits of flavor like this seem to me like they would be the victim of the system, not an unbalancing rule that is tossed. I don't believe that there is one weapon in the game that trumps all others, nor do I believe that there are a handful of weapons in the game that trump all others, therefore one guy having proficiency in one weapon over a guy having proficiency in another doesn't seem like that big of a deal to me.

Why break it just to fix it, imo. If you were going to take them away, then don't make it a quest to give them back. Just take them away, or leave them seems easier.
Jamais arriere.
Briek
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Re: Clerics, Favored Weapons and 3.5 ruleset

Post by Briek » Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:27 pm

I agree, this is a classic example of progress for progresse's sake, it even adds a little rp flavour for example what if one day a priest was granted a holy weapon of his god in the form of that type only to find he can't wield it. Keep them in I say it makes little difference.