Waterdeep has a real market

A place to suggest new commands, feats, skills, ...
Harroghty
Staff
Staff

Waterdeep has a real market

Post by Harroghty » Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:02 am

Or it will.

Merchants will actually appear with their stalls in the market square of Waterdeep soon (or whenever I get around to it). Help me to come up with some ideas for their wares. Their wares will include things that are plain sold like any other merchant in the game and items sold via a program that colorizes or personalizes them (e.g. Barritt at the Bridge of Fallen Men, the merchants at House Invincible, or the merchants at Waterdeep's concert hall). They will all be very mundane, fluff type things (clothing or mundane gear and equipment).

Some ideas that I have had so far scabbards and weapon loops (thanks Yvonne), cloaks and coats (items for the arms that match items for the body), shoes (boots, etc.), vegetables (because Mask insists that markets must have them), etc..

..what else?

Think about things that would be sold by day and those that might be sold by night! Be as detailed as you like. I do not promise that all ideas will be included, but the more the merrier. Please post your ideas here to this thread.
"A man may die yet still endure if his work enters the greater work, for time is carried upon a current of forgotten deeds, and events of great moment are but the culmination of a single carefully placed thought." - Chime of Eons
Gwain
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Re: Waterdeep has a real market

Post by Gwain » Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:55 am

Towels - worn on the head, worn on the legs and worn on the body
Edible containers made out of gourds
handkerchiefs
cloaks and jackets that can open or close
hoods and hooded cloaks
leg ornaments and arm ornaments of jewelry or metal work that can be worn on the over layer (couters and poleyns) bands of precious metal
reusable cups, utensils and plates
crude firearms and ammunition.
Justice is not neccesarily honourable, it is a tolerable business, in essence you tolerate honour until it impedes justice, then you do what is right.

Spelling is not necessarily correct :)
Selveem
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Selveem » Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:58 am

Quick question: will this project also consolidate all the wandering merchants around WD?
This land shall come to the God who knows the answer to War. -Ninety-Nine Nights
Isolrem
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Isolrem » Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:36 am

Would be nice not having to go all the way to Skullport to pick up new undergarments.
Chars: Aryvael et all.
Lirith
Staff
Staff

Post by Lirith » Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:17 am

I immediately thought of a lot of markets in this country, and was going to suggest this as a joke, then I realised it could actually work.

What about some sort of FK equivalent of knock-off goods? e.g. mundane clothing that looks a little like something you might buy in a fancier shop, but if inspected closely it's not quite right. Maybe the dye is the wrong shade or it's slightly misshapen.
I'll come up with a list and edit this later once I've actually woken up properly.
Khelebhzed
Sword Apprentice
Sword Apprentice

Post by Khelebhzed » Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:28 am

First thing would be greatcoats, robes, and cloaks with pockets, that can act as small containers. A compromise between packs and other outer dress.
If not that, then perhaps a wizard robe with pockets as a spell pouch?
A haberdashery for sure. There are many types of hats that it would be nice to see, like a tricorne, stetson, ushanka, pickelhaube, or conical sedge hat.
Certainly foreign merchants offering these diverse goods. Perhaps leather or fur lining from more diverse animals, corresponding to color choice. Like white is arctic fox and black is panther, green is snake skin, etc.
Alternative containers could include the secret pocket, the luggage case, carpet bag, stocking, body bag, a belt or harness with many loops, pockets, and hooks.
More games, perhaps a stones board, or a Talis deck. Dart board. Disposable archery targets? (1 or 2 hits, and gone.) Hungry, hungry, hippogriffs?
Maybe a wider variety of false facial hair. Everyone needs a fu man chu?
Functional multi-sheaths. Like a brace of knives you can draw from, or a cruciform back-scabbard for dual wielders.
Customized signet rings to some extent from an engraver, a combination of colors, animals, and objects like the performance hall, or maybe more like the handkerchiefs of the gilded lance. Ex: a ring embossed with a red hawk and dagger or a ring graven with 'X'? This could also extend to simple tabbards.
More elaborate jewelry like eyerbrow rings, labrets, or nose rings with ear chains. Finger talons.
Definitely some more festive masks, perhaps customizable with a list of animals and colors or decorations.
Certainly a variety of new tattoos.
I am sure Sunites and bards could enjoy more cosmetic props.
A straight razor and stropping leather. Scalpal and bone saw. Shackles, chains, dental pliers, wire stitching, forceps, scizzors, spectacles, nameable pet-rock, a how-to-guide of Phrenology.
More herbs and tea. We have so much alchohol, but not enough tea variety. Some mundane herbalism would be good too. And coffee, be it the Maztican dark roast or the Calimshite special blend.
A flower vendor, color customizing plays into the choices: orchids, carnations, azaleas, a lotus, and maybe just a cactus.
Diversity in quills and parchment, from vellum to rice paper to papyrus, to simple sheet music.
A glazier: Beakers, test tubes, vases, statues, a gargoyle.
Last edited by Khelebhzed on Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:25 am, edited 3 times in total.
“Charity degrades those who receive it and hardens those who dispense it.” - George Sand
“He who is only just is cruel. Who on earth could live were all judged justly?” - Lord Byron
Yvonne
Sword Apprentice
Sword Apprentice

Post by Yvonne » Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:04 am

Thanks for this :)

Following on from the parchment and quills idea above:

I have always wanted, on various characters, access to some sort of folder or portfolio for bits of parchment (or even a note book) so they're not all ICly getting screwed up under piles of food and spare armour or weapons in your backpack.
And now faith, hope, and love abide, these three; and the greatest of these is love.
Harroghty
Staff
Staff

Post by Harroghty » Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:02 am

Selveem wrote:Quick question: will this project also consolidate all the wandering merchants around WD?
No, but it could improve their wares.
"A man may die yet still endure if his work enters the greater work, for time is carried upon a current of forgotten deeds, and events of great moment are but the culmination of a single carefully placed thought." - Chime of Eons
Selveem
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Selveem » Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:20 am

Harroghty wrote:
Selveem wrote:Quick question: will this project also consolidate all the wandering merchants around WD?
No, but it could improve their wares.
Sorry, question intent ambiguous; I meant to ask "will this project consolidate all the wandering merchants into a much smaller area, so they aren't all wandering about the largest area in the game?" :D
This land shall come to the God who knows the answer to War. -Ninety-Nine Nights
Bellayana
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Bellayana » Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:48 pm

What if around the market square, the outskirts of the area in the night hours various "shady" merchants appear to sell Cloaks and jackets that can open and close (Gwain you are awesome) and randomly generated bandannas for the face with emblems or disguise kits even. I would also like to take this time to suggest maybe some new poisons that could be added to weapons. Poisons that -1 to str, -1 to int or -1 to con. I mean it makes sense if you are going to attack a wizard (Lirith I really do love you.) you would use a toxin that attacks the neural system, a fighter his muscular or even just his whole body in general.

I think this would also set the ambiance for the marketsquare during the night hours to show that Waterdeep does infact have a seedy side.

Oh, And I second Khel's idea about the tattoo vendor. Everyone loves body art!
The belief in a supernatural evil is not necessary;
Men alone are quite capable of every wickedness.
-Joseph Conrad, Under Western Eyes

-Tofuergus Greenroot, Gnomish Ranger
Brar
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Brar » Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:15 pm

Sling Bullet pouches for all kind of location (back, belt, legs) and multiple layers for belt.
RP wise will be better than to put them in a quiver...

Money pouches and spellpouches for different belt layer to allow more customization.
Your friendly house-elf,
Brar
Harroghty
Staff
Staff

Post by Harroghty » Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:45 pm

Selveem wrote:Sorry, question intent ambiguous; I meant to ask "will this project consolidate all the wandering merchants into a much smaller area, so they aren't all wandering about the largest area in the game?" :D
Again, no. This is a separate effort.
Adabelle
Sword Journeyman
Sword Journeyman

Post by Adabelle » Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:50 pm

Just today people were saying Waterdeep is never on the edge of fashion. You have to go to Westgate for a nice dress.
Kea
Sword Bumbler
Sword Bumbler

Post by Kea » Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:38 am

tools. silverware. handkerchiefs. small animals (birds, lizards, rabbits, chickens), perfumes, different kinds of fruits/vegetables/fish.

toy type stuff? little carvings of horses. kid bows. little wooden swords (thanks fable)

cheap, crappy "jewelry" that isn't made of metal (bead necklaces, daisies tied in a circle, twine bracelets, etc)

wooden faith-type charm jewelry would be a big seller. "a beaded necklace bearing a wooden open-handed gauntlet" type stuff.

It could even be taken into account that in a city full of crazy wizards and priests and stuff that people on outlying farms save their cows' manurez and take them to the waterdeep market to sell. This could be said for a number of small, easy-to-obtain-but-tedious-and-boring type components that people would rather just throw gold away on and get than hang out with abandoned horses or spamwalk mt waterdeep or run from town to town killing bandit clerics for. It's illogical that there wouldn't be some dude in waterdeep getting rich off of impatient wizards buying easily obtained (but not worth their precious time to obtain?) stuff. horse hairs, poody poo, "hide", piece of bark, (seriously, 1000 trees in arwood and no one's ripping the bark off) sticks, etc
Raona
Staff
Staff

Post by Raona » Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:04 am

A honing stone that could be used to repair blades?

Potions with vendors that loudly over-hawk them, but that do something? (Think US late night TV infomercials in style...of course, you get a FREE bonus gift with your purchase!) A potion might be advertised to turn you into a hunk, make you more manly, more attractive to the ladies...but in practice it has a 20% chance of turning you into a male if you are female, a 10% chance of (temporarily) adding 1 to your CHA, a 10% chance of (temporarily) adding 1 your to LCK, a 10% chance of poisoning you, a 20% chance of making you sick, a 5% chance of cursing you, and most likely it will do nothing. Or something along those lines.

Something I've long been angling for: booby-trapped items that look awesome but that do bad things to you (blind you, curse you, take off an arm, that sort of thing), to put in your pack if a thief gets it and starts brazenly wearing everything in there. But in order to be useful, they would need to be randomized so they don't all look alike. This would be a tough one, though.
Bellayana
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Bellayana » Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:32 pm

Raona! I love that idea! Nothing would make me laugh more then stealing something and being like Nice! <wear> and booby trap! This would be great in other instances as well! I am in full support of "Trapped" Jewelry.
The belief in a supernatural evil is not necessary;
Men alone are quite capable of every wickedness.
-Joseph Conrad, Under Western Eyes

-Tofuergus Greenroot, Gnomish Ranger
Isolrem
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Isolrem » Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:15 am

Raona wrote: Something I've long been angling for: booby-trapped items that look awesome but that do bad things to you (blind you, curse you, take off an arm, that sort of thing), to put in your pack if a thief gets it and starts brazenly wearing everything in there. But in order to be useful, they would need to be randomized so they don't all look alike. This would be a tough one, though.
Reminds me of a certain quest in Dragon Age where there were containers full of awesome looking stuff and when you grabbed them: instantly 3 serious injuries.
Chars: Aryvael et all.
Selveem
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Selveem » Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:38 am

These sort of traps do exist in D&D, for the record. I remember seeing them, I just don't remember where.
Isaldur
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Isaldur » Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:26 pm

Exploding faulty magical items are probably better suited to a random loot table than a market vendor. A city like Waterdeep would not let someone sell necklaces that would blow heads off for very long after heads did start exploding.

Though we could incorporate a bloodsport system like the Running Man if the Lords decided on using them..
A sapphire haired male aasimar replies to you 'What would you get Tanya for a wedding present?'
You reply to A sapphire haired male aasimar 'A swift kick to the head. '
Gwain
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Gwain » Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:55 pm

Isaldur wrote:Though we could incorporate a bloodsport system like the Running Man if the Lords decided on using them..
Every day is Running Man for Gwain.

Bobble heads that bobble.
loin cloths

metal face masks that are jewelry material or light armour protection

lighter weight shovels

food that turns into other food, like an apple that turns into a half eaten apple, then a core

griffon saddles and misc

chewing tobacco that you can spit.
Justice is not neccesarily honourable, it is a tolerable business, in essence you tolerate honour until it impedes justice, then you do what is right.

Spelling is not necessarily correct :)