Character Dwellings OOC Question

For the discussion of general topics about the game.
Tolomon
Sword Novice
Sword Novice

Character Dwellings OOC Question

Post by Tolomon » Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:34 pm

How many of you (OOC) have dwellings for your characters?

Of those who do, what do you ICly do with them (beside use them as a dumping grounds for your collected stuff)?

I ask because I'm considering applying for one, but the more I think about it I'm not real sure I know what I'd do with it beside use it to store various objects I don't want to lug around on me ICly.
Tigo, Hopeful of Gond
Tolomon, Questee of Corellon Larethian
Leego, wizard-in-training
Mele
Staff
Staff

Re: Character Dwellings OOC Question

Post by Mele » Wed Nov 23, 2011 8:53 pm

Dwellings are currently not a feature offered - there is no time on when they may be offered again for the foreseeable future.
Beshaba potatoes.
Nysan
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Nysan » Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:34 pm

The standard "not open at the moment" answer aside, here are a few answers to the other question:

1. Gathering place for RP events: picnics, faith gatherings, weddings, auctions, and so on.

2. Crafting hub. Several player dwellings are fitted with the standard forge/anvil/barrel smithing setup, making them a regular crafting station and social hub for tradesman.

3. Shop/inn. Several dwellings maintained a shop vendor or innkeeper build, allowing the player to profit from their dwelling and items they put up for sale.

4. Training grounds. Archery targets/training dummies might fit in, with the proper reasoning.

5. And yes, storage of items.

But again, as Mele said, player housing is on hold, for the moment. So, do not apply for one. That said, there is nothing stopping you from doing some legwork by yourself. Sit yourself down and think, "what would I want my house to look like?", then write out some room and item descriptions. If/when housing returns, the more work you have done means there is less work for builders to do, which helps things get done faster. Just a thought, of course.
-Gilain- -Trilev- -Siros-

You do not need to change the world, merely leave it a little better than how you found it.
Harroghty
Staff
Staff

Post by Harroghty » Thu Nov 24, 2011 2:34 am

Tolomon: Hi. Yes, Mele put it well; there are no plans right now for dwellings because we are working on a lot of other things. I do want to point out that there is another option for storage in the game: the Secure Storage businesses across the Realms (er, Kingdoms). You can pay a small fee and receive a bag which can be used to store things permanently there.
"A man may die yet still endure if his work enters the greater work, for time is carried upon a current of forgotten deeds, and events of great moment are but the culmination of a single carefully placed thought." - Chime of Eons
Tolomon
Sword Novice
Sword Novice

Post by Tolomon » Fri Nov 25, 2011 4:18 pm

Mele wrote:Dwellings are currently not a feature offered - there is no time on when they may be offered again for the foreseeable future.
If I might make a suggestion? Update the Help Files to reflect this. Had I not posted anything here I would have applied and most likely invested a lot of time designing the dwelling.
Tigo, Hopeful of Gond
Harroghty
Staff
Staff

Post by Harroghty » Fri Nov 25, 2011 4:55 pm

Perhaps someone beat me to updating the help file "Player Dwellings", but I see a note there. Was that the help file that you read or was it another one?
"A man may die yet still endure if his work enters the greater work, for time is carried upon a current of forgotten deeds, and events of great moment are but the culmination of a single carefully placed thought." - Chime of Eons
Mele
Staff
Staff

Post by Mele » Fri Nov 25, 2011 6:33 pm

That was me - it was the first thing I did when seeing this thread.
Beshaba potatoes.
Tolomon
Sword Novice
Sword Novice

Post by Tolomon » Sat Nov 26, 2011 1:06 am

Looks good now. Thanks a bunch!

As a follow-up, why did Character Dwellings become unavailable? Was it due to lack of builders or lack of time for said builders? Would it be appropriate (perhaps prudent is the better word there) to volunteer my time to help build Character Dwellings? I've considered volunteering before and this might be a good opportunity to get my foot in the door with something small.
Tigo, Hopeful of Gond
Harroghty
Staff
Staff

Post by Harroghty » Sat Nov 26, 2011 1:45 am

No, that's the easy part of them, but thanks for offering. The difficulty is the system that manages them and we, the staff, have not really found a method that is both functional and suitable the objectives of the game (i.e. adventuring).
Gwain
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Gwain » Sat Nov 26, 2011 1:59 pm

Just to elaborate on the difficulty of what it takes to make a sizable dwelling. somewhere around seven hours real time and requires an admin builder on the test port at the same time as an imm with admin privileges on the game port working in tandem. Its an inefficient system that will hopefully be changed eventually but for now the storage system is a great option.
Justice is not neccesarily honourable, it is a tolerable business, in essence you tolerate honour until it impedes justice, then you do what is right.

Spelling is not necessarily correct :)