Hometown Problem

This forum contains bugs which the test team think are fixed are awaiting confirmation from the initial reporter of the bug.
Khelebhzed
Sword Apprentice
Sword Apprentice

Hometown Problem

Post by Khelebhzed » Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:12 am

There seems to be an invisible kismet requirement check for your hometown when trying to finish creating a LE Halfdrow. Which would be fine, but there is only one option for a hometown.
“Charity degrades those who receive it and hardens those who dispense it.” - George Sand
“He who is only just is cruel. Who on earth could live were all judged justly?” - Lord Byron
Harroghty
Staff
Staff

Re: Hometown Problem

Post by Harroghty » Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:39 pm

I had many choices of hometown and did not have any kismet deducted during hometown selection for two LE half-drow characters (one warrior and one wizard). Please provide more detail.
"A man may die yet still endure if his work enters the greater work, for time is carried upon a current of forgotten deeds, and events of great moment are but the culmination of a single carefully placed thought." - Chime of Eons
Khelebhzed
Sword Apprentice
Sword Apprentice

Post by Khelebhzed » Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:56 pm

Please choose the hometown of your character:
(A) Skullport
(Z) Start over
Type help <hometown name> for information on any of the hometowns.
Kismet is required for some hometowns but will NOT be
Deducted from your account.
You do not have enough kismet to choose that town.
There is no cost listed for a home town here, unlike with other race choices. I believe the kismet cost is just a check, not a deduction. Since there is only one home town option, is there supposed to be no cost, or does the cost just need to be added in the text? Ie, Skullport (X kismet required) Either is fine, one just does not know how much more they need to finish making a character.
“Charity degrades those who receive it and hardens those who dispense it.” - George Sand
“He who is only just is cruel. Who on earth could live were all judged justly?” - Lord Byron
Harroghty
Staff
Staff

Post by Harroghty » Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:55 pm

More detail about how you got to that screen. Which choices did you make? I tried making two characters with identical race and alignment to yours and did not come to the same screen, so there must be something else that you chose.
"A man may die yet still endure if his work enters the greater work, for time is carried upon a current of forgotten deeds, and events of great moment are but the culmination of a single carefully placed thought." - Chime of Eons
Kinal
Sword Journeyman
Sword Journeyman

Orcs Choosing Hometown

Post by Kinal » Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:54 pm

Hey guys -

I recently created a Gray Orc that drained my remaining kismet. However, I still couldn't choose the only option for a hometown because of my kismet. I was told to post it here. Enjoy!

(A) Orc Camp
(Z) Start over
Type help <hometown name> for information on any of the hometowns.
Kismet is required for some hometowns but will NOT be
Deducted from your account.
You do not have enough kismet to choose that town.
Technically, we're all half centaur.
Harroghty
Staff
Staff

Post by Harroghty » Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:00 am

I was not able to replicate this. Would a Code Council member please test and confirm? Thanks.
Tortus
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Tortus » Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:27 pm

If I remember correctly, these hometowns used to require the player to have 50 kismet points in order to start there. They wouldn't deduct it as in the case of creating a character of a rare breed, just make a check.

In other words, if a player for example collects 200 (+<50) kismet to make a half-drow character and then attempts to start him off in Skullport (the only available choice), he will be unable to do so due to having only that <50 kismet left on his account for the 50 kismet check.
Trillarel
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Trillarel » Sat Apr 28, 2012 7:34 am

If they require 50 kismet, it should be noted on the choose hometown page.

If they don't require it now, the code should be changed accordingly.
Raona
Staff
Staff

Post by Raona » Thu May 10, 2012 1:58 am

I could not get this to happen either, but did find that on following the path below, I ended up at
30129 - Half-Orc - Choose your hometown
which seems wrong. Might be indicative of a branch error that explains the above. I can't see the in_file_progs that I think move you from room to room, so can't look into it any deeper.

(A) Male
(B) Half-Elf ( 0 Kismet)
(B) Half-Drow Elf ( 200 Kismet)
(C) Rogue
(A) Standard Rogue aiming to become a thief
(B) No (to visiting the newbie training area)

If anyone who has experienced something like this can give us this sort of "road map" to end up where you did, please do so. The Chargen area is very very complicated code and it really helps to know where you ended up.

If this has happened to you, don't nuke the new PC, just quit at hometown selection and earn the extra whatever kismet it wants to see in your pocket before logging back into the new PC and picking the hometown.
Nimboro
Sword Journeyman
Sword Journeyman

Post by Nimboro » Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:16 pm

I'm having this same issue, where I'm creating a character and I'm unable to choose a hometown. Here's the roadmap:
(A) Male
(B) Planetouched
(B) Tiefling (700 Kismet)
(C) Cleric
(A) Customized Priest
(B) Yes (to visiting the newbie training area)

I had no troubles in any of the newbie area, and I tried this without going through newbie-land as well. I always prompt the "You do not have enough kismet to choose this hometown" message. My choices for a hometown are as follows:

(A) Zhentil Keep
(B) Westgate
(C) Skullport

If it helps, I only have 10 kismet remaining after the creation of my character, currently racking up the usual 50 kismet, but thought I'd put this here after "someone" confirmed that it was a bug on my end.
Raona
Staff
Staff

Post by Raona » Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:52 am

Harroghty is hard at work on a fix for this. In the meanwhile, however, you will need the extra kismet required to meet the hometown requirement.
Harroghty
Staff
Staff

Post by Harroghty » Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:07 am

For everyone's awareness, the staff is discussing the particulars of the kismet requirements involved in character creation. Once we have decided upon a course of action then I will update the file as necessary and publish the details for everyone to see. Thanks.