Website refresh

For the discussion of general topics about the game.
Mask
Staff
Staff

Website refresh

Post by Mask » Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:46 pm

Hi guys,

We'd like to try and make our website a little bit better, and I had some thoughts on how we might do it:

1) Have home page contain a couple of posts from our forums, maybe 4-5 of the last few posts.
2) Have a 'recent IC news section' like 'John has died somewhere in the Wastelands!' or 'Bob has killed the dracolich and saved a maiden of dubious virtue'.
3) Have OOC blog posts (instead of important code/area updates?)
4) Have IC blog posts - would require some people to start doing some IC blogging, would need some volunteers!
5) Have most recent OOC/IC blog posts present on the home page.
6) Add an event calendar.
7) Add a 'how to get involved' section.

Any one else have any ideas? More importantly, anyone got the time/skill/inclination to help out?

Thanks!

M
Alexan
Sword Journeyman
Sword Journeyman

Re: Website refresh

Post by Alexan » Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:46 am

Hey, that all sounds fantastic and I'm on board! I would definitely like to help with the IC blogging, as well as the how to get involved, if either/or of those gt implemented.

As for those list of things, that sounds exactly right on what you should put up! One question though: How will it determine IC events? Would it run off the glory system?
I put on my robe and wizard hat.
Lylena
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Lylena » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:08 am

*raises hand* OH, ME ME ME.

They all sound like very good ideas! Especially the IC board part, with dubious maidens and such. I can volunteer IC journals as well.
For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "If I die, you are forgiven. If I live, I will kill you."
Such is the rule of honor.
Trillarel
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Trillarel » Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:49 pm

I could contribute to the IC blogs too.

EDIT: Maybe move the articles on important characters from the online help to some other, easier to access place.

EDIT 2: I'd love it if the main page displayed how many people are playing now, and their nicknames if possible.
Casamir
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Casamir » Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:24 am

Should we do it by person or have one person interview people?
"Get thee back into the tempest and the Night's Plutonian shore!" "'Tis as impossible that he's undrowned as he that sleeps here swims." "I'm begging you please wake me up, In all my dreams I...."
Lylena
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Lylena » Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:45 am

Casamir wrote:Should we do it by person or have one person interview people?
I like the one person interview people idea. Can kind of be like a newspaper thing.
For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "If I die, you are forgiven. If I live, I will kill you."
Mauric
Sword Bumbler
Sword Bumbler

Post by Mauric » Sat Dec 01, 2012 3:25 am

Not directly related, and it might be something I'm doing wrong. But on two different computers with different clients the connect information listed on the webpage, http://www.forgottenkingdoms.org doesn't work for me. Ports 4000 and 23 won't connect at all, and 80 and 443 briefly say they're connected, but the login page never comes up and it disconnects after a few seconds.

forgottenkingdoms.org port 4000 as listed on TMC works fine every time for me however.
Study strategy over the years and achieve the spirit of the warrior. Today is victory over yourself of yesterday; tomorrow is your victory over lesser men. - Miyamoto Musashi
Hrosskell
Staff
Staff

Post by Hrosskell » Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:41 am

http://www. is the issue. That's the website's actual address, I believe.
Jamais arriere.
Mask
Staff
Staff

Post by Mask » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:33 pm

Mauric wrote:Not directly related, and it might be something I'm doing wrong. But on two different computers with different clients the connect information listed on the webpage, http://www.forgottenkingdoms.org doesn't work for me. Ports 4000 and 23 won't connect at all, and 80 and 443 briefly say they're connected, but the login page never comes up and it disconnects after a few seconds.

forgottenkingdoms.org port 4000 as listed on TMC works fine every time for me however.
Well spotted, I fixed this, if only the other changes I'd like to make to the website could be done so quickly!
Nylo
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Nylo » Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:29 pm

https://blog.phpbb.com/2009/11/09/how-t ... nal-pages/

This seems to be what you're looking for regarding recent posts on the front page - I assume you're figuring to place it as a div/table layout, rather than frames? It doesn't look like it'd be real hard to put together. As for the event calendar - are you meaning a feed displaying upcoming events on the front page?

Edit: Also, regarding Trillarel's post about having the who list on the front page - this seems like something that could be put together out of Python/Perl and a Javascript call to the appropriate script. This would necessitate hooks into the server code though to access the list, if i'm not mistaken. And I don't know Python or Perl. Anyone with experience in these that could provide a bit of insight?
Nylo, Fighter of Tempus
Anver, Transmuter of Garl
Malic, Cleric of Tyr
Luthir, Druid of Mielikki
Mask
Staff
Staff

Post by Mask » Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:51 pm

Hi Nylo!
Nylo wrote:https://blog.phpbb.com/2009/11/09/how-t ... nal-pages/

This seems to be what you're looking for regarding recent posts on the front page - I assume you're figuring to place it as a div/table layout, rather than frames? It doesn't look like it'd be real hard to put together. As for the event calendar - are you meaning a feed displaying upcoming events on the front page?
Thanks for the link! I'll take a look - but I'm struggling to find the time at the moment - links like this will help, but if there were some volunteers to assist, that would be most welcome.

In terms of an Event Calendar, I was thinking perhaps of a little calendar widget with events on it, maybe such that people could add things to it 'in-game' and have them displayed there?
Nylo wrote: Edit: Also, regarding Trillarel's post about having the who list on the front page - this seems like something that could be put together out of Python/Perl and a Javascript call to the appropriate script. This would necessitate hooks into the server code though to access the list, if i'm not mistaken. And I don't know Python or Perl. Anyone with experience in these that could provide a bit of insight?
I think we have something to do this mostly-working already, but again, time is required :).

Since we seem to have some volunteers to do some IC blogging, I'll start with getting that working...
Alitar
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Alitar » Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:10 pm

This IC blogs thing intrigues me but I really don't understand what it would be... could someone post an example of an IC blog? Or some sort of explaination?
"The noir hero is a knight in blood caked armour. He's dirty and he does his best to deny the fact that he's a hero the whole time."
~Frank Miller
Mask
Staff
Staff

Post by Mask » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:41 am

Alitar wrote:This IC blogs thing intrigues me but I really don't understand what it would be... could someone post an example of an IC blog? Or some sort of explaination?
Mask's IC Blog, 9th day of Deepwinter

While contemplating the wreckage of another ill-thought plan put forward by my clergy for an alliance between *elided* and *elided*, I momentarily found myself longing for the simple life of being a blade. Perhaps the old Foehammer has the right idea and sometimes a blade IS the right answer?

Today, I heard further voices coming to me through the Shadow plane - an array of hopefuls who seek my favour. The clamour for my attention is growing stronger again, and yet I no longer have any lieutenants amongst the mortals who I would trust to evaluate and teach them. My last Shadowdancer stepped down while my attention was elsewhere, the one before seemed to mistake me for Sharess. Who amongst them is deserving of my trust?

Perhaps it is time to walk the realms once more, meet those who would be mine and evaluate them myself? But there is much to be done here, other battles and other tasks which demand my attention.

It is a dilemma, one I must find an answer to.
Mask
Staff
Staff

Post by Mask » Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:10 pm

Alrightee...I've gotten a kind of prototype blog set up. Who all would like to start some IC blogging? I can set you up with accounts and we can fine-tune it, and see where we end up!
Trillarel
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Trillarel » Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:20 pm

I'd love to, but I don't think I'll be able to start anything before 22nd Dec.
Lylena
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Lylena » Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:14 pm

Mask wrote:Alrightee...I've gotten a kind of prototype blog set up. Who all would like to start some IC blogging? I can set you up with accounts and we can fine-tune it, and see where we end up!
*raises both hands again* Meeeee! I half-started one for one of my characters that I need to finish, but writing a journal isn't such a difficult thing to whip out with limited time.
Gwain
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Gwain » Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:45 am

I would be interested in ic blogging.
Justice is not neccesarily honourable, it is a tolerable business, in essence you tolerate honour until it impedes justice, then you do what is right.

Spelling is not necessarily correct :)
Damyanik
Sword Bumbler
Sword Bumbler

Post by Damyanik » Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:24 am

I could blog.
Life is a theatre of tragedy, so learn to laugh at the ills, or you'll never laugh much at all.
Mask
Staff
Staff

Post by Mask » Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:47 pm

Okay great, if you guys PM me your email addresses, I'll set you up and we can get things kicked off...
Trillarel
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Trillarel » Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:58 am

Did this get kicked off? I have some stuff I'd love to write and put up...