Rewards for IC performances

For the discussion of general topics about the game.
Tamryn
Sword Master
Sword Master

Rewards for IC performances

Post by Tamryn » Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:17 pm

Harry's thread about changes to publishing made me think of this: would it be nice to have some sort of reward for IC performances (songs, recitals, storytelling, and so on)? Perhaps glory, or Xp, or even kismet. Personally I'd favour glory as a reward (for item renames which contribute to RP), but an Xp reward would be nice too, since characters who often perform might be less inclined to go out and grind monsters on their own.

This is a somewhat selfish request (as I have a character who sometimes does performances, yet is not a bard so doesn't get any of the bard rewards, and also doesn't publish anything), but I think it would be nice for anyone who puts the effort in to RP this sort of thing, and might even encourage more of it.
Mele
Staff
Staff

Re: Rewards for IC performances

Post by Mele » Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:47 am

The only thing that turns me off about this is the potential of someone sending in 15 performances a week. If glory, that's 15 glory a week.

I would really enjoy a nice way to reward this sort of thing, as it's good roleplay but I am very anxious about ways it could be "over used".
Beshaba potatoes.
Harroghty
Staff
Staff

Post by Harroghty » Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:52 am

I share feelings with of you on this issue. I feel it would be nice, but I also see how it could be abused. It's hard to get people together in one place for anything, so perhaps the size of the audience might be a criteria?
"A man may die yet still endure if his work enters the greater work, for time is carried upon a current of forgotten deeds, and events of great moment are but the culmination of a single carefully placed thought." - Chime of Eons
Blarc
Sword Bumbler
Sword Bumbler

Post by Blarc » Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:43 am

Philias used to get sometimes rewarded by other players after having told a story, I can't see why don't we just encourage more people to do so. It even already says in the help file for reward that it is to be used if you see good or great Rp, if I remember correctly
Gwain
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Gwain » Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:47 am

I've always believed that glory was a measure of how valiant and well known you are. I don't think it should be tied to performances outside of imm rewards or even a vetting system where fellow players apply to reward other players with glory.

Instead I'd rather performances lead to rewards like speciality bard guild entry (like the elite sapphire guild that is set up in game) or even unlock songs and spells that could not otherwise be gained by adding trainers that will only respond to performance tokens or qbits unlocked through crowd participation (much like xp is gained through several intervals, crowd rewards for performances can have several levels that eventually unlock rewards).

I'd only do this for bards though. I think that they are professional performers and therefore should be the ones to receive the benefits of this function.
Justice is not neccesarily honourable, it is a tolerable business, in essence you tolerate honour until it impedes justice, then you do what is right.

Spelling is not necessarily correct :)
Casamir
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Casamir » Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:59 am

An interesting suggestion, though in some ways this may fit (or should be slipped into) the purview of the publishing houses. What is an attempt to foster more creative content and role-play interaction as it is, could and arguably should extend to performance, bard or not. As the fledgling publishing houses get going, it is probably they who shall be in a great position to judge/test such rewards and incentives if any. Which is to say, if there is an interest in this, one should also get on board with the publishing houses idea, to better work within the mandate and help find the best way to implement these suggestions.

Though, I find myself agreeing with Gwain how glory should be used. Kismet on the other hand is about quantity of game time, I see no reason it should not also be gained through quality spent.
"Get thee back into the tempest and the Night's Plutonian shore!" "'Tis as impossible that he's undrowned as he that sleeps here swims." "I'm begging you please wake me up, In all my dreams I...."
Mele
Staff
Staff

Post by Mele » Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:59 pm

Sapphire guild is just a 'secondary school' - to clear up confusion. The entry is simply based on level.

I'm clarifying this because it comes up quite often!
Beshaba potatoes.
Gwain
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Gwain » Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:28 am

Mele wrote:Sapphire guild is just a 'secondary school' - to clear up confusion. The entry is simply based on level.

I'm clarifying this because it comes up quite often!
Never knew that. I'd edit my previous suggestion for bards to gain something else unique for certain performances. I can't think of anything outstanding though.
Justice is not neccesarily honourable, it is a tolerable business, in essence you tolerate honour until it impedes justice, then you do what is right.

Tamryn
Sword Master
Sword Master

Post by Tamryn » Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:31 am

Why make it bard-only though? They aren't the only ones who perform.
Casamir
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Casamir » Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:47 am

There is no reason to have it be limited to bards, however it is bards who get bard rewards like songs or bard guild access. But when we broaden it to include all characters, performances might as well become all 'quality role play' or hosting events reflective thereof too. Narrowing it at either end is silly. A suggestion of rewarding or incentivizing merit should not be limited, nor the argument be against it, but rather how and where to make it work. Which is where I think it tucks nicely in with the new publishing house scheme as a likewise endeavour.
"Get thee back into the tempest and the Night's Plutonian shore!" "'Tis as impossible that he's undrowned as he that sleeps here swims." "I'm begging you please wake me up, In all my dreams I...."
Gwain
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Gwain » Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:47 am

Tamryn wrote:Why make it bard-only though? They aren't the only ones who perform.
I sort of looked at it from a code perspective, bards are born performers more than likely to perform as a living. So hard or soft code functions could easily be attached to them, since performance is something expected of them regularly. Though anyone can perform depending on their rp, its could be argued that a wizard or warrior would have less experience or skill in preforming before crowds outside of magic or tourneys. In my perspective bards are the ones that need to preform as part of their daily lives, its not enough to simply be a bard, but to remind everyone of it now and then, get rewarded regularly and in a way that will stimulate a resurgence of the guild and class.

Casamir
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Casamir » Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:52 am

To play the devil's advocate, you often times have to give up a feat point to gain decent ranks in an out-of-class profession skill. If you want to be so or almost good as a bard at performing that it deserves recognition, maybe you should have to give up a feat point for the privilege. :twisted:
Last edited by Casamir on Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gwain
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Gwain » Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:07 am

I like that idea.

Tamryn
Sword Master
Sword Master

Post by Tamryn » Sat Oct 12, 2013 5:35 pm

I wouldn't mind spending a feat point on this, actually. I agree with Gwain that I wouldn't expect my non-bard character to be as good at performing as a "professional" bard would be, but I think basic performance skills are something any character (especially a thief, for example) might have, much like we have amateur musicians IRL, and a feat seems like a reasonable way to represent that.
Esselwyr
Sword Novice
Sword Novice

Post by Esselwyr » Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:41 am

Glory/kismet for restring?!? Learn something new every day. Esselwyr has been known to perform off the cuff. As a new, creative player, do we submit logs? My character is also faithed (relatively new), if I perform hymns will her faithfulness increase? Can you submit logs for different rewards? What if your character doesn't need/want exp? I'm not looking to out-perform a coded bard and I'm not too keen on any class getting perks over a coded bard. If there is any follow up on this, I'd be interested to know more.