Manifestation

To share knowledge about the world and links to useful resources.
Lerytha
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Manifestation

Post by Lerytha » Mon May 24, 2004 8:01 am

I was reading the "Myth-Drannor" site, which contains a LOT of information about elves, and almost everything else as well. The elven section mentioned about manifestation... and I quote...
When elves wish, they have an imposing presence. Suddenly, they can seem far larger, more there, than their actual height and weight would indicate. They use this ability to good effect against impressible humans; it keeps the credulous ones at a distance and occasionally attracts necessary attention to the elf.

The manifestation ability is purely a result of the elven connection with the land. Furthermore, it functions only when the elf is in a natural environment or in one that the elves have shaped, in which case they generally do not wish to make their presence known...
I was really just posting this to ask whether this was a generally accepted piece of RP, whether it is known to happen, and whether it can be RPed...

Thanks for your time!

From Lerytha, Scholar of Oghma
If you have knowledge, let others light their candles with it.

--Sir Winston Churchill

"This place is boring, I'm gonna go eat whatever I can find laying on the ground"

-- Hoildric

Cacie asks Larethiel 'Did that air just bow to you?
Jerigo
Sword Novice
Sword Novice

Post by Jerigo » Mon May 24, 2004 4:20 pm

I remember something like that from the Lord of the Rings. When Sam is going up the stairs of the tower Cirith Ungol, he looks much more imposing to the orcs than he really is. In the movies they sort of show it as a quick little joke that his shadow on the wall looks much bigger than he is and it fools the orcs for a few seconds. But in the books, if I remember correctly, a couple of the orcs are actually terrified and flee for their lives up the stairs because as Sam approaches them his form looks like that of a huge elven warrior. I think the book alludes to the fact that their perception of him was due to the elven cloak he was wearing. And I definitely got the impression from reading it that it was not as simple as just having a big shadow; the orcs would be looking directly at him and seeing this imposing form coming towards them.

I'm not sure if this helps or not, but it sounds like another instance of what you were describing.
Isaldur
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Isaldur » Mon May 24, 2004 5:18 pm

Andreas or Penryn would know better than I when it comes to elves, but anything off the Myth Drannor site should be taken with a grain of salt. Some of their stuff is not factual and made up.
A sapphire haired male aasimar replies to you 'What would you get Tanya for a wedding present?'
You reply to A sapphire haired male aasimar 'A swift kick to the head. '
Penryn
Sword Apprentice
Sword Apprentice

manifestation

Post by Penryn » Mon May 24, 2004 6:18 pm

A good question. Yes it does exist, but that was within Second edition Rules. It was a concept introduced Via first Edition AD&D and then placed into the Second Edition AD&D and Handbook of elves. Now sadly enough we use third edition (still a second edition fan myself :grins:)... So the abilitiy really has disappeared along with many other abilities, such as 90% resistant of charms and enchants. Immune to the Harpy songs, moving silently with surprise checks in front of a party, ets... you name it.

I can find the direct passage that it was for the first or second edition sources. Really whether it would be allowed here would be up the the imms. but, I think that will be turned down most likely for it could be abusive really. Now if it was included just be a rarely used rp circumstance.. if you ever wish more documents or information on elves please feel free to ask.. great question btw :)

Jeffery
Rper of Penryn the Raciest little priest that is an Ar'Tel'Quessir
Hviti
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Hviti » Wed May 26, 2004 3:01 am

Jerigo-Just a little thing from a LOTR freak...the orcs' perception of Sam is distorted by the Ring. I feel to lazy to go get the book and quote...but it states that they saw some sort of hidden menace type thing, like a dark, large form of him. Sam has the ring because he took it off Frodo's body because he thought he was dead after shelob...etc. Go read 'em again, very worth it. And the Silmarillion.

Elven cloaks are good for hiding, but they do not have any "magical" properties.