Gemcutting

For the discussion of general topics about the game.
Bugoron
Sword Apprentice
Sword Apprentice

Gemcutting

Post by Bugoron » Mon Jul 19, 2004 12:11 pm

I don't know whether I missed this or not, but I searched the board, and I couldn't find anything on this, so I'm sorry if it is already somewhere here.
I was playing the other day, and while dawdling and doing pretty much nothing, something made my thoguths start to run...
'a titanium ring set with a small uncut emerald lies here' (or something like that)
Now, I'm not completely sure how many different types of uncut gems there are, but for the ones that ARE in the game...

Why can't you get them cut?

If there's a way to cut those emeralds into fine-looking pieces already, I apologize for posting this altogether, but wouldn't a gemcutting trade be perfect for this? Even if there are only uncut emeralds and maybe a handful more uncut gems, theoretically, there could be an uncut version of every gem, considering they need to be mined one way or another, and gems coming out of the ground are hardly expensive-jewelery-material.

Again, if there's a way around this, or if this has been covered, sorry, but I just thought I'd suggest it, but what are other people's thoughts?
Proud member of the Order of the Deinonychus Claw
Villis

Post by Villis » Mon Jul 19, 2004 12:20 pm

I've always been a fan of having this sort of trade, especially to work in conjunction with mining. And, as far as I know, there isn't an existant trade for this.
Aegin
Sword Apprentice
Sword Apprentice

Post by Aegin » Mon Jul 19, 2004 6:15 pm

I vote this is an excellent idea.
I tried to embrace my feminine side, but
it filed a restraining order against me.
Algon
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Algon » Mon Jul 19, 2004 7:53 pm

I think it sounds like a wonderful idea. It could really help out the jewelry making trade.
Counting bodies like sheep...to the rhythm of the war drums. ~~~ Maynard
Tandria
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Tandria » Tue Jul 20, 2004 2:47 am

Nifty idea! Your proficiency at the trade can determine how well you can cut certain gems, or something like that.
"May your travels be Wonderful and Mysterious."
Villis

Post by Villis » Tue Jul 20, 2004 3:17 pm

Or to go a step further, proficiency in the trade will determine the likelihood of successfully cutting the gem, how well the cut is (ie, the end value), or whether you basically destroy it, leaving you with a handful of gem powder (which could be good for spellcasters).

Quite a boon.
Micheal
Sword Apprentice
Sword Apprentice

Post by Micheal » Sun May 22, 2005 8:31 am

Check out this site my amazing wife found about jewerly and jewel cutting. If you read about the fire opal you can see how much experience and care it takes to cut a gem to make it look good!

http://www.gemstone.org/gem-by-gem/english/fire.html
History shows again and again how nature points out the folly of men..... Godzilla.