Retreating

For the discussion of general topics about the game.
Aversa
Sword Bumbler
Sword Bumbler

Retreating

Post by Aversa » Tue Jul 27, 2004 5:07 am

I'm would guess that this has been covered somewhere before, but:

It seems that it would be useful to allow characters a retreat skill. I was recently in a fight with something I couldn't damage, but which also couldn't damage me. And even though I stopped fighting (killmode nofight), I was unable to leave the area in a logical manner. I could flee, but not in the direction I wanted to go. However, I could consider my opponent, look in my pack, etc. In fact, I was healing during the fight. So, logically, should I have been able to walk away or at least back out of the room? A good fighter should be able to draw or push their opponent in a particular direction, if only slowly... (Maybe that's another useful skill: forcing an opponent, during the course of a fight, in a particular direction - into the next room, off a cliff, etc.)

I could see a retreat skill where the one in retreat loses all attacks while retreating or where one can only retreat when their opponent has been parried, bashed, dirtkicked, or otherwise distracted. Or maybe it should be a feat that only someone with parry, etc. can train?
Algon
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Algon » Tue Jul 27, 2004 12:39 pm

I like the idea of the skill. Mostly when accompanied by the dirt kick or bash skill. I can see how someone would be able to sneak away after you have smashed them on the head with a shield or kicked dirt in their eyes. I could see instead of them making a new skill just make the flee command to be able to choose a direction after your oppenent has been stunned. I know you can do that during a fight, but it does not aways work.
Counting bodies like sheep...to the rhythm of the war drums. ~~~ Maynard