[Spell Suggestion] Bless Item

Alitar
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

[Spell Suggestion] Bless Item

Post by Alitar » Thu May 28, 2020 4:29 am

I'd like to suggest a cleric/paladin spell for applying the 'holy' flag to weapons. It could be used to apply the holy flag to any item, but only weapons would be functionally different as a result.
At present, cold iron is useless. It doesn't affect demons differently because they require 'holy' and 'cold iron'. Similar is true of devils that need 'holy' and 'silver'. Alternatively, I believe we should just modify bless to be something we could target items with rather than people, to gain that same effect.
"The noir hero is a knight in blood caked armour. He's dirty and he does his best to deny the fact that he's a hero the whole time."
~Frank Miller
Harroghty
Staff
Staff

Re: [Spell Suggestion] Bless Item

Post by Harroghty » Thu May 28, 2020 2:23 pm

Ok, so I looked into this.

The holy flag may not actually do anything right now, but it does bypass when it's applied to a weapon of the right material.

Holy and the requisite material are required for each type (e.g. holy and silver won't damage a demon even though holy is required for a demon anyway, and only silver won't damage a devil, it needs holy, too).

It does not appear that a weapon can have more than one flag (e.g. holy and flaming).

There are some silver weapons out there in the world. There are some cold iron weapons out there. Why not just add the holy flag to those without a flag now in order to seed the world with some?
"A man may die yet still endure if his work enters the greater work, for time is carried upon a current of forgotten deeds, and events of great moment are but the culmination of a single carefully placed thought." - Chime of Eons
Lirith
Staff
Staff

Post by Lirith » Thu May 28, 2020 5:42 pm

Seeding with effective weapons is a simpler solution than changing a spell. There are a few quests that give out special material weapons as well.
Alitar
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Alitar » Thu May 28, 2020 6:05 pm

Seeding would work. I was just thinking it might be a way to bring a FK shift of a canon ability for paladins into the game as holy weapon isn't likely to see the light of Lathander any time ever :D
I still think Demon/Devil areas should be challenging and require a group, my thinking with this spell was to make paladins and clerics more of an asset to that group as they could bless party weapons in those instances.
That said, seeding some weapons that would overcome those damage resistances would also work. Make a few areas less daunting without making them easy or solo-able.
"The noir hero is a knight in blood caked armour. He's dirty and he does his best to deny the fact that he's a hero the whole time."
~Frank Miller
Harroghty
Staff
Staff

Post by Harroghty » Thu May 28, 2020 8:52 pm

Fixed resistances for devils and demons to be OR, not AND, as defined by SRD. e.g. https://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/demon.htm
"A man may die yet still endure if his work enters the greater work, for time is carried upon a current of forgotten deeds, and events of great moment are but the culmination of a single carefully placed thought." - Chime of Eons
Alitar
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Alitar » Thu May 28, 2020 9:27 pm

Great! Thanks Boss
~Frank Miller
Mers
Sword Bumbler
Sword Bumbler

Post by Mers » Thu May 28, 2020 10:34 pm

Thou rockest good sir
Harroghty
Staff
Staff

Post by Harroghty » Fri May 29, 2020 3:00 am

I talked earlier with Tony and I tested this a bit.

I think that we can use the holy weapon flag (which counts as being holy for DR purposes) and add that to a weapon spell with holy weapon (103) for some additional damage. I'll consider this in the future for some holy avengers (although some are flaming in source materials, I've used frost and other variations in game so far).

I need to test this a little more for parity, but it seems reasonable.
Skylar
Sword Journeyman
Sword Journeyman

Post by Skylar » Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:23 pm

The fix to demons for cold iron to work without being holy doesn't appear to apply to Mariliths and other demons that have their own racefiles. Similar issue may exist for some devils regarding silver?
"Some of us try hard to make the world a better place than it was when we found it. I know that's what I try to do. I won't always be successful, but that's life."
~Kara Zor-El