Aggro in area entry rooms

For the discussion of general topics about the game.
Mers
Sword Bumbler
Sword Bumbler

Aggro in area entry rooms

Post by Mers » Fri Jun 05, 2020 12:19 pm

On my most recent return to the game I wanted to ask or open a discussion towards having aggressive mobiles in area entry rooms.

This is something I have been largely apathetic to in the past because I took it as part of the game's difficulty however more recently I am questioning whether having such a thing in zones / areas moving forward is good design.

for me, zones where aggressive mobiles can trap you in their entry rooms simply taught me to always go into a new zone ready to unload everything, or die. But given that the flee mechanic is somewhat problematic even in cases outside of these well.

Is it worth asking the question that moving forward, the first room into a zone should always be left as a safe room? or are these kinds of mechanical death traps still worth keeping around?
Harroghty
Staff
Staff

Re: Aggro in area entry rooms

Post by Harroghty » Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:07 pm

I have taken to making entry rooms safe in many of my areas, but it's not a rule.

I have added some programs in areas where flee might be problematic.

Off hand, I can really only think of one area where people often die in the entry room.
"A man may die yet still endure if his work enters the greater work, for time is carried upon a current of forgotten deeds, and events of great moment are but the culmination of a single carefully placed thought." - Chime of Eons