Selling Adamantine Items

For the discussion of general topics about the game.
Glim
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Selling Adamantine Items

Post by Glim » Sat Dec 04, 2004 7:25 pm

I wondering, but what do people think of selling adamantine items to surfacer merchants?

Honestly, would a merchant buy armor that openly proclaims drow involvement? Wouldnt other drow hunt down anyone who holds these items? How about the merchant hunting down the person who sold the items once they decay in the light? I would think it would take a good bit of conning and wouldnt necessarily be the actions of a goodly man/woman.

Another question, could it be code abuse? Since the merchant cant actually do all these things, would be taking advantage of the code?
Glim asks Gwain 'Can I be on the watch?!?'
Gwain raises an eyebrow.
Gwain seems to display a look of complete horror for a second...
Stayne
Sword Journeyman
Sword Journeyman

Post by Stayne » Sat Dec 04, 2004 9:49 pm

I don't see any problems with it personally. Its not adamantium thats hated but the drow. Adamantium is just a metal, like mithril. While there is associations, a smart merchant still knows the value of special items.
While it is concievable that not all merchants would buy it, I think selling such in a FR world would not be too hard.

While there would be collectors who might want such pieces, the metal melted back down can be reused, specially by mages for construction of rare items like wands and staves. Such metals are coveted for such purposes.

Finally, taking the general greediness of merchants into account, I think there is very few items that any merchant would not be interested in obtaining (for resale at a higher price of coruse). Merchants are interested in gold and know how not to ask questions ;)

Just my opinion
S.
Aegin
Sword Apprentice
Sword Apprentice

Post by Aegin » Sun Dec 05, 2004 12:53 am

Not only what Stayne said, but adamantine is not what makes drow weapons drow weapons. Adamantine, though rare, is still mine-able from the "surface" mines.

It is the radiation from the Underdark that makes the drow weapons special. Also, adamantine does not melt in the sun. It is these same radiations that are used to enchant the weapons that cause the weapons to decay.

SO to make a short story long, adamantine in and of itself would not be a reason not to buy a weapon of any type.
I tried to embrace my feminine side, but
it filed a restraining order against me.