Carving

To share knowledge about the world and links to useful resources.
Granger
Sword Bumbler
Sword Bumbler

Carving

Post by Granger » Mon Dec 20, 2004 10:30 pm

One thing I have been reading after reading the forum about dwarves and magic is that they have their own kind many of the dwarves use Runemagic to carve into armor and such to enchant the armor to do special things, or would carve them into the ground to perform special protections or such. Is there any way that we can impliment this into the game, I mean I think the dwarves shouldn't just be grunting fighters, what about intellegent grunting ale drinking historians, Runemasters?

Just a idea, I got.
Ursan
Sword Journeyman
Sword Journeyman

Post by Ursan » Mon Dec 20, 2004 10:45 pm

Dwarven clerics already have the ability to enchant the products of their smithing so some of what you suggest is available

Runemasters might make a suitable prestige class if you had the inclination to submit a quest and description.

As for grunting fighters... I think they would be the least likely to be or wish to be Runemasters.

Electing to play a dwarven fighter is as much a statement of player intent and personality as playing an elven ranger or a gnome illusionist :)
Remember, should you encounter an angry Dragon and your only company is a Halfling...
...you do not need to run faster than the Dragon, only the halfling.

It's a wolverine, not a skunk... sheesh
Granger
Sword Bumbler
Sword Bumbler

Post by Granger » Mon Dec 20, 2004 10:50 pm

I agree totally I believe there should be a complete randomness in the societies of each race, even from the common ones to the unique ones, I have just been talking to some people and noticed not a single Dwarf wizard, and I think it is because they have not benefits to them. :cry:
Dwarf Wizards have dreams too we need to make them grow.
Kregor
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Kregor » Tue Dec 21, 2004 6:09 am

Granger wrote:I agree totally I believe there should be a complete randomness in the societies of each race, even from the common ones to the unique ones, I have just been talking to some people and noticed not a single Dwarf wizard, and I think it is because they have not benefits to them. :cry:
Dwarf Wizards have dreams too we need to make them grow.
There is not a sinlge dwarf wizard in FK bacause the class/race restrictions currently in FK's character gen system are 2nd ed., you know, back when only humans could be paladins, and so on. Same applies to align restrictions: good-only rangers, neutral-only druids, etc.

In 2nd ed. rules, dwarves could not be wizards of any sort. This was reasoned from their inherent distrust of Arcane magic. Magic in a dwarven community was restircted to the divine. Priests of the dwarven faith abound, and a good number of the FK dwarves still often (and quite well) play out the resentment of being enspelled by such things as fly spells and whatnot.

Even the Runecaster (Kit in 2nd ed., Prestige class in 3rd ed.) is more a clerical figure, not an arcane one, as runes are deeply rooted in the dwarven faith.

I suppose it will be up to Mystra and Tyr if, when the character gen system is revised, they wish to open up to the free for all class/race combos of 3rd Ed., or keep 2nd Ed, class/race restrictions as house rules. Personally, I would enter a vote for the latter, but that's me.
"There is no safety for honest men except by believing all possible evil of evil men."

Kregor - Ranger of Tangled Trees
Rozor - Lady Luck's Duelist
Tygen - Ranger-Bard of Mielikki
Ursan
Sword Journeyman
Sword Journeyman

Post by Ursan » Tue Dec 21, 2004 7:17 am

Just to clarify this...

You CAN (hmm, or could up to a point a few months ago, might have changed when Kismet came in) create a dwarven wizard

However, as with halfling wizards, the character would not be able to join a Guild and would be restricted to only the starting wizard spells and skills.

Such characters are for those who are heavily into roleplay, as additional skills or spells will only be available through long term play and the good graces of the Admin team
Remember, should you encounter an angry Dragon and your only company is a Halfling...
...you do not need to run faster than the Dragon, only the halfling.

It's a wolverine, not a skunk... sheesh
Alphonese
Sword Bumbler
Sword Bumbler

Carving

Post by Alphonese » Tue Dec 21, 2004 10:48 am

A dwarven fighter can still be a good smith and a faithful follower. With the right runes and answered prayers he can still forge magical weapons or armour can't they. Roleplay those events i guess. Or a suitable system can be favour deducted for attempts and a high level of mastery in the weapon and armour smithing trades, and high favour of cos.
Glory to Lloth
Telk
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Telk » Tue Dec 21, 2004 5:39 pm

Sorry to draw away from the dwarven post, but could a player make a halfling wizard and perhaps later on have some wizard classes available for the race?
Gratey
Sword Master
Sword Master

Post by Gratey » Tue Dec 21, 2004 7:10 pm

I have only heard of one Halfling wizard become something more than a Wizard, As I believe He/She RPed alot about training and getting better at his spells, So I think it IS possible to be a Dwarven or Halfling Wizard but if you want more than just the begining wizard spells be prepared to RP ALOT! but dont be discouraged we need those little Dwarven and Halfling wizards :lol:
Granger
Sword Bumbler
Sword Bumbler

Post by Granger » Tue Dec 21, 2004 8:34 pm

So are the wizards in the new system going to have more options to them besides just the basic 10 or so wizard spells? Also I think that RP should be enforced I also think a wizard should have to rp getting spells and learning them instead of just kill goblins training it through a mob and running off casting it. But that is just me...I know some people who fly through their character because they just kill mobs and don't rp. So I think that would be a challenge that would be intresting to try out. But In refrence to with the right runes and prayer, Runes are in deep dwarven faith but are also have deep magical roots, so what if the dwarf was to follow mystra and wanted to make armor with runes inscribed for magical purposes?
Natasha
Sword Journeyman
Sword Journeyman

Post by Natasha » Tue Dec 21, 2004 8:45 pm

The way the system works now, Granger, is that the IMMs will reward characters that actually RP training their spells, etc. rather than just running through MOBs with things like special IMM-run quests, unique items, etc. because the staff here likes to reward good RPers.

People who just run through their character to make it really strong as according to the code do not very often get such special perks.

Natasha