Improved meditate?

For the discussion of general topics about the game.
Athon
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Improved meditate?

Post by Athon » Mon Jan 31, 2005 12:29 am

I have found that many priests in the game are encouraged to wear heavy armour, as it is the basis for their church and other RP's. However, this heavy armour causes the armour hinderence with meditating and it often takes a long time to replenish one's mana. This isn't too terribly bad when by yourself, but when in large groups, it often takes a long time to get ready to go anywhere. One could remove all their armour to get rid of the problem, but I would consider that poor RP, especially done in front of that large group. My suggestion is this: a feat called 'improved meditate' that will eliminate or at least lessen the amount that armour hinders your meditating. I do not believe it should be removed for spell casting and other checks, but for meditating, it could help RP out quite a bit.

Thanks
Athon
~Vanguardier Athon, High Priest of Torm~
~Moranall, Fighter of Waterdeep~
Algon
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Algon » Mon Jan 31, 2005 1:38 pm

I like this idea. I cannot tell you how many times I have been meditating witha group and because I am wearing heavy armour it takes like 3 or 4 mins real life time to fully recharge. Yes, I could have removed some armour, but think about it. Would someone that is in the middle of Undermountain surrounded my monsters really want to start taking off armour? I think this feat would greatly help priest in battle.
Counting bodies like sheep...to the rhythm of the war drums. ~~~ Maynard
Lerytha
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Lerytha » Mon Jan 31, 2005 3:06 pm

Personally, I think this is a good idea. However, there are some areas that might cause problems:

Wizards could train this, thereby allowing for armour-crazed wizards

Easily rectified, in my opinion, by making it only trainable by priests. Or, by trusting players. However, perhaps wizards could learn this, to enable swifter regeneration of mana.

Running the risk of gearing feats towards convenience

To me, it seems that creating a feat just because of armour failure is a tad silly. After all, ICly, it probably would be difficult to conentrate on meditation if weighed down by heavy armours. Think about the strain of sitting up straight, doing yoga, wearing even chainmail... it must hurt. Seriously though, I can see the IC reason for failure due to armour.

And unfortunately, my time on the PC is being cut short, so I have to sign off and just give my basic point: I agree with this idea, but we probably have to think about possible abuses and a worrying icnrease in priests becoming super armour-wearing meditating power-houses...

:D

Just a few thoughts, if they are expressed badly.
If you have knowledge, let others light their candles with it.

--Sir Winston Churchill

"This place is boring, I'm gonna go eat whatever I can find laying on the ground"

-- Hoildric

Cacie asks Larethiel 'Did that air just bow to you?
Zilvryn
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Zilvryn » Mon Jan 31, 2005 3:21 pm

If wizards chose to learn this it would not affect the arcane spell failure chance, so they would still be pretty stuffed...

Also if a wizard chooses to take armour proficiencies, they are more than entitled to wear any form of armour they like: I know of two invokers, one who has up to medium armour proficiency (wears chainmail) and another who has has heavy proficiency and wears platemail...

They both get owned by arcane spell failure checks, but iif they want to take the risk, then whatever..
What matters the most is how well you walk through the fire.
Cret
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Cret » Mon Jan 31, 2005 5:40 pm

I believe this feat would only incorperate meditation. Armor will still affect casting concentration. Armor proficiences do NOT alow a mage to wear armor and cast easier.
Velsavius

Post by Velsavius » Tue Feb 01, 2005 8:00 am

Have found with my priest that if I emote removing my shield and placing it upon my lap, by my side etc whatever, that my meditation speed increases alot. hope it helps
Kirkus
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Kirkus » Tue Feb 01, 2005 9:26 pm

I have a feeling that emoting probabily dosn't work like that. But that is just my opinion.
I am ready to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter.
Sean
Sword Apprentice
Sword Apprentice

Post by Sean » Tue Feb 01, 2005 10:23 pm

I've a funny feeling he means Emoting it, AND removing it. Removing it to aid in his meditate check, and doing the emote so he can RP where it went while he is at it.

~Sean Vallar
Natasha
Sword Journeyman
Sword Journeyman

Post by Natasha » Wed Feb 02, 2005 12:46 pm

If the feat just increased the number of chances to regain mana or the amount of mana regained per meditate, it would benefit both Priests and Wizards and make more sense as an improved meditate feat, rather than a feat to benefit armour wearing classes that want to regenerate mana faster.

This way, Priests would still regain mana more quickly, but so would anyone else with meditate who takes it.

Natasha
Belose
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Belose » Wed Feb 02, 2005 2:30 pm

I think improved meditate is a good idea... but perhaps it could be a simple code tweak. The thing is, people can get used to anything when exposed to it long enough, like hanging....or extreme temperatures, things like that.. and if you meditate in your armour, you'd get to the point where your muscles have adopted and it's easier....also, I would think there are levels of meditation.. sometimes you relax easily, others you just can't seem to get relaxed at all...and once in a great while, you can almost reach nirvana... I think it could be a percentage tweak..well, I hope you can see what I'm trying to get across.... my 2 gold pieces...heh
What the Mind of a man can conceive, the Will of a man can achieve.
Athon
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Athon » Tue Mar 08, 2005 7:47 am

My original intention for this feat was mainly for priests based upon the fact that it is the norm for many priests to be wearing full-out metal armour. And while I agree this does make it more of a convinience, I still feel that it makes sense from all the time the priests would have spent in the metal armour. Not only would this feat help the priest, but it would also greatly help groups so that they are not resting for 5 minutes every few battles for the mana to be regained. Any extra thoughts, criticism, or the such are always welcomed.

Athon
Telk
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Telk » Wed Mar 09, 2005 2:02 am

Belose wrote:The thing is, people can get used to anything when exposed to it long enough, like hanging....or extreme temperatures, things like that.. and if you meditate in your armour, you'd get to the point where your muscles have adopted and it's easier....also, I would think there are levels of meditation.. sometimes you relax easily, others you just can't seem to get relaxed at all...and once in a great while, you can almost reach nirvana...
Exactly, I think that if a priest were trained in heavier armour (Which I believe most are) for most of their life, that they would get used to the armour and it wouldn't affect their meditation as much. I also agree with this feat as a trainer of the feat could teach a wizard/priest to ignore their armour more and concentrate more.
Telk
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Telk » Fri Mar 11, 2005 7:45 pm

I was thinking a bit more about this topic and came up with the idea of different feat levels? A feat that is trainable more than once, and each time trained lowers your hindrance messages?
Athon
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Improved Meditate

Post by Athon » Tue Jul 12, 2005 7:31 am

A while ago, I brought up the idea of improved meditate, intended for priests.

http://www.forgottenkingdoms.com/board/ ... php?t=3235

I think it would greatly help priests out when it comes to group RP's. However, the topic died after a few days. Is there any other feedback that may help with this?

Thanks,
Athon
Isolrem
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Isolrem » Tue Jul 12, 2005 7:26 pm

Hmm... it should definitely cost 3 feat points to meditate without failure with heavy armors (i.e. improved meditate is trained three times to the coressponding armor proficieny)
edit: versus Telk's method of maybe 33% decrease of failure chance for train, which is another way about it.
Chars: Aryvael et all.
Athon
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Athon » Tue Jul 12, 2005 8:16 pm

My intention for this was not to make one regain mana faster through meditation, rather to reduce the number of times armour would hinder it. From that statement, I would believe it should be priest's only. This wold allow armour-crazed wizards as stated above.
Talamar
Sword Master
Sword Master

Post by Talamar » Tue Jul 12, 2005 9:47 pm

I think that's what they're trying to get across yes.

It would allow priests to regain mana, even while they're wearing the Platemail which their vocation allows.

Right now, any armor at all, impedes your success at meditation. The preposed feat, would either, cut that down immediately, or, if multiple levels of it were allowed, then each would cut the chances of failing due to armor.
Kelemvor
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Kelemvor » Wed Jul 13, 2005 12:40 am

My own opinion, but I wouldnt want to see this available to all priests and I'd hope it would merely reduce the armour fails and not remove them entirely.

Faiths who's clerics are not noted for wearing heavy armour should not get it. eg Chauntea, Mielikki, Umberlee and those others who are commonly held to wear leathers rather than heavy armour
...never send to know for whom the bell tolls,
it tolls for thee.
Talamar
Sword Master
Sword Master

Post by Talamar » Wed Jul 13, 2005 5:13 am

Agreed.

Mostly I think this would be for balance. A Cleric of Lathander, resplendent in his rose tinted platemail, would be able to refresh his spells given by his god, as easily as a Mielikkan druid in her leather garb.

Codewise though, the heavier armoured cleric takes quite a bit longer to refresh his mana.

Just for the example.
Algon
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Algon » Wed Jul 13, 2005 1:13 pm

I have a priest that is Grandmaster at meditate and wears full platemail and it takes him a few minutes in rl to regain mana meditating.
I can see priest who would wear armour like this being tought how to concentrate and push your mind past some of the things with heavy armour that would hender meditation. Such as you learn to mentally dismiss the way you would not be able to get fully comfortable wearing armour.

And I agree, this feat should not completely remove the armour hindering meditation, but perhaps cut down on it. My preist can meditate and I have gotten around 10 or 15 "Your armour hinders your attempt" in a row. I feel that is a little much. :p And I would gladly trade in glory for a feat like this. So I believe that says alot about how I feel about this feat lol
Just my two cents worth.
Counting bodies like sheep...to the rhythm of the war drums. ~~~ Maynard