Sword and Shield Combat

For the discussion of general topics about the game.
Athon
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Sword and Shield Combat

Post by Athon » Tue Mar 08, 2005 7:52 am

I have found the use of the shield to be rather minimal, mainly for bashing. While the shield helps a bit in a fight, wielding two weapons almost always yields a greater result. This feat would simply make it so that shields blocked a little more - not a large amount, just a small one for those that prefer the style of using a shield over two weapons. This feat may help balance the use of shields with dual wielding.

Athon
~Vanguardier Athon, High Priest of Torm~
~Moranall, Fighter of Waterdeep~
Kregor
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Kregor » Tue Mar 08, 2005 1:35 pm

Agreed, my ranger fights sword and shield for RP purposes, but it pretty much puts him at a disadvantage PvP vs. a dual wielder.

In tabletop, since 2nd Ed., there have been special proficiencies for each style of fighting. Not just dual wielding, but also sword and shield, as well as two handed, and single weapon style. Each style gives its own bonuses, the specifics which I need to look up, but could be adapted to FK stats no less. Adding feats for each of these styles would balance up the playing field for people to RP preferring different styles and still be closely matched.
"There is no safety for honest men except by believing all possible evil of evil men."

Kregor - Ranger of Tangled Trees
Rozor - Lady Luck's Duelist
Tygen - Ranger-Bard of Mielikki
Blug
Sword Novice
Sword Novice

Post by Blug » Wed Mar 09, 2005 10:55 pm

I have a fighter who often times uses a single blade, no shield, no dual wielding. He uses one sword in two hands. I find that if I'm dual wielding I have a much easier time, but for his "samurai" style of RP I prefer to use the single weapon.
And they ran through the bush
And they ran through the bramble
And they ran through the briars where the rabbit wouldn't go
They ran so fast the hounds couldn't catch 'em
And I stumbled on my beard and I had to let 'em go.
Argentia
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Argentia » Thu Mar 10, 2005 1:02 am

Well, wielding a weapon with two hands is a different matter. In that case, you get an extra half-again damage from the power of wielding with two hands. Each style: dual weapon, sword and shield, and two-handed all have their benefits. But I think many will agree that dual wielding by far has the greatest benefits.

I also have a character who fights sword and shield and sometimes two-handed because it fits into her "Paladin-esque" persona. She would be much stronger if she dual wielded, but I find it is more fun to RP with a shield. Makes me feel Holy and all. :wink: Personally, I would love to see a feat like this.

Although it could be argued that sword and shield already has its great benefit: bashing. And yes, that is a great benefit. But, I think it would be fair to have to use a precious feat point to train this extra boost with shield.

I would also love to see the proficiencies Kregor mentioned perhaps touched on or even implimented in some way. I can remember in 2nd ed. Dual wielding, sword and shield, and two-handed were all very well balanced, and none were really better than the others.

Just some thoughts. Feel free to rebut my overly pro-fighter ideas. :D
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and go well with ketchup.
Cyric
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Cyric » Thu Mar 10, 2005 2:26 am

Technically, there are about 3 or 4 feats to enable dual wield at it's maximum capacity. The game enables it on different levels due to skill points. Example: If you are 25 dual wield, it is as if you have devoted 4 skill points to the various feats.

If anything, I would like to see single wielding on par with dual wielding. If single is a feat, then dual should be a feat. If single is a skill, dual shall remain a skill. The reason for this is because: A person can adept dual AND single in one fell swoop by gming dual and simply placing a feat point in single. Etc.

Anyway, I'm just inputting my opinion, not immortal ruling.