Bank limits and fees

For the discussion of general topics about the game.
Cret
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Bank limit

Post by Cret » Fri Mar 25, 2005 12:54 pm

I, and most likely one or two hundred others, are wondering why the banks set a limit at 1000 plat. Besides this being a nice number, and ICly it should be ALOT of coin, what is the purpose of that limit?

Perhaps the next logical question, providing the answer to the former question is answerd in a way we like... Can we get the limit raised?
Nearraba
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Nearraba » Sat Mar 26, 2005 2:34 am

In my own opinion, I myself believe that that limit is perfectly fine as you said above, Icly it would be considered –a lot- of coins. There are other ways to save coins besides the bank, though, such as packs, carts, be imaginative with this as long as it fits the rp. A question simply asked, Why would the banker want to take even more responsibility in watching you coins, more than he previously has? Just my opinion though. :)
Autumn is a second spring where every leaf has its turn to be a flower.
- Albert Camus
Argentia
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Argentia » Sat Mar 26, 2005 3:11 am

I really don't see the need to have the limit removed... I have never ever ever gotten even close to 1000 plat. I've barely ever made it above 100 plat. :cry: I mean that's a lot of money. Try spending some or donating to your local poor church. :wink: I think Nea's ideas are just fine. Have 1000 plat in each of your packs. You can rack up the dough that way.

The purpose of the limit I think is just code. Just like in a video game where you can't have more than 9999 damage or whatever. You have to set the cap somewhere or it will cause problems, I think.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and go well with ketchup.
Elwin
Sword Master
Sword Master

Post by Elwin » Sat Mar 26, 2005 3:46 am

Although I think the pack idea is good because that is what I do, there are chances to lose all of that coin. Now, I do not know about other people, but all the coin I've saved was for a dwelling. Losing all of that coin that you earned that couldn't be put in the bank is sort of a shot to the gut. I've had times where I lost as much as 1200 plat because my I had it in packs. But, I don't really think a change is necessary. It is still just as easy to store it in packs. As long as you are careful, you shouldn't lose the coin anyways.
From your friendly neighborhood ranger :)
Gidan

Post by Gidan » Sat Mar 26, 2005 3:59 am

I personally think that there should not be a cap. But if there must be one instead of 1000 platinum, 10,000 platinum. That would be enough money for anyone. If not completely taken away I think the cap should be raised a bit. So nobody looses 1200 platinum like Elwin.

Just my thoughts
8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
Milia
Sword Bumbler
Sword Bumbler

Post by Milia » Sat Mar 26, 2005 4:05 am

We need to take into consideration that the coders have other things to do. Sure the bank limit for 1000 is small for some players, but for others it is just fine.

Milia
Who put the moon out?
Gwain

Post by Gwain » Sat Mar 26, 2005 4:32 am

This was discussed on the old boards, I can't seem to find the discussion, but the idea of making bankers charge more for holding more money was discussed. Though I don't know if a decision was reached or not.
Zilvryn
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Zilvryn » Sat Mar 26, 2005 10:29 am

As someone said earlier, it totally depends on the chars as to how much money is "a lot".

Laerith very rarely has more than 10 plat for any length of time, as he just doen`t need it. Where as Zilvryn is quickly approaching 1000 plat and his poor mercenary is going to be complaining about carrying massive amounts of coin soon...
What matters the most is how well you walk through the fire.
Kirkus
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Kirkus » Mon Mar 28, 2005 4:56 am

The main problem I have with the limit on the bank system is that there is one universal account for the whole realms. Each pc would have an account in the towns they frequent. Now I don't know if this is possable but it would aliveate the problem. And consequently force rp out of Waterdeep due to the fact that you couldn't reach your entire load of cash from one city.
I am ready to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter.
Belose
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Belose » Mon Mar 28, 2005 7:09 am

Ooooo, just think of it... Couriers with bags of holding full of bank dividends.....as soon as I read this thread, I started thinking of ways Belose could make armored transport... or those costly travelling spells..one good way to get the coins flowing in the cities..
What the Mind of a man can conceive, the Will of a man can achieve.
Tretch
Sword Apprentice
Sword Apprentice

Post by Tretch » Mon Mar 28, 2005 7:19 am

I like the idea of having the different banks in the different cities actually having different amounts of coin.

You could be able to keep 500 plat in Berdusk, and 250 in WD. I like the idea of it forcing people to run around more. Makes them interact more with the giant world that has been created.

As for 100 plat being a lot of money...... thats your opinion I suppose. Have you ever run into a smithing dwarf? I used to see mounts with over 8k plat in their INV all the time.

I could also name at least 20 characters off the top of my head that have easily tapped the bank system.

Might as well turn this tiny problem (which is more of an inconvenience) into something that could generate RP in different parts of the realms. It would be nice to see IMO.

Jake
A young male human looks at your claw, his eyes widen, "Wha-what is that on your claw?"
You look to the claw, stopping abruptly
You yell, "Git et off! Git et off!" and begin to hop up and down, shaking your hand,
voice turning to a girlish scream!
Nysan
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Nysan » Mon Mar 28, 2005 8:20 am

Interesting topic...

I run a well off priest. I run a bard (sort of) that couldn't buy stew. I run a dwarf who...well, carries on a good business. So I understand the highs and lows of this particular topic.
A bank (in FK) is a two purpose item in my eyes: Safeguards hard earned cash from loss, theft, ect. And allows easy access around the realms without forcing the character to constantly be weighted down by bags and bags of coins.
Placing your coins on pets leaves it open for theft, lossing if your pet disappears/gets killed/ect, and various other situations. I don't know about you folks, but if a bank cap forced one of my peoples to place 1k of platinum coins on a pet and the pet simply wanders off, gets killed by a giant, dragged off and wacked by another player, or simply losses the coins due to a game crash or whatever I would not be a happy camper.
Theres a difference between choosing to put the coins on the pet and risking it verse having no other options due to a coded cap.
In my experience, I have come across three possible solutions. How usable are they in FK? Don't know. 1. Increase the cap. 2. Remove the cap completely. 3. Have the cap based on something about the character..example: level, hours in game, kismet, ect.
I can understand and agree with some of the more wealthy players that this is a problem. Some characters more than others deal with this more often. As mentioned in prior posts, dwarven smiths/miners encounter this often for example.
Not an overly urgent issue, but still something that needs considering.

N.R.
-Gilain- -Trilev- -Siros-

You do not need to change the world, merely leave it a little better than how you found it.
Kirkus
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Kirkus » Mon Mar 28, 2005 2:45 pm

I like the idea of being able to buy an increase to your limit. I read in a book a while back something simmilar to this. The main character negotiated the terms with the bank owner, her steady income would be delivered to the bank on a certain day and the banker was to payout certain people that the main character employed. But the relevant part was that she payed the banker for the services to be rendered.

I think it would be cool if every bank gave you that original 1000 plat coverage for free then you have to go in and buy additional storage. But still each bank should be seperate. So someone who bases their rp in the north might buy extra storage in Silverymoon and Waterdeep if they are very prosperous, and someone in the east might do the same in Zhentil Keep and one of the other cities they frequent.
I am ready to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter.
Taerom
Sword Apprentice
Sword Apprentice

Post by Taerom » Mon Mar 28, 2005 4:46 pm

I fully support the raising, or perhaps the removal of the cap. Anyone who has had a signifigant amount of coin above 1000 platinum can tell you, finding a place to put it all is a real pain, unless you have a house [I assume this at least...I have never had a house on this game, sadly.] Not only do platinum coins weigh a darn lot in decent quantity, but they also take up some serious container space.
Ursan
Sword Journeyman
Sword Journeyman

Post by Ursan » Mon Mar 28, 2005 5:44 pm

Coin placed directly into the inventory of a mount or pack animal will take up only one carry slot. There is no need to fill up countless bags and packs with it.
Remember, should you encounter an angry Dragon and your only company is a Halfling...
...you do not need to run faster than the Dragon, only the halfling.

It's a wolverine, not a skunk... sheesh
Gwain

Post by Gwain » Mon Mar 28, 2005 6:36 pm

What about the creation of a higher domination of currency than platnium? Like Bloodstone trade bars or steel coin? One coin could represent ten platnium or even upwards of one hundred platnium coins. rarely used on their own they could solve the denomination problem by containing the worth of the coinage in smaller space.
Bear in mind I am not sure of the extent of code changes this would implement.
Kregor
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Kregor » Mon Mar 28, 2005 7:38 pm

Kirkus wrote:I think it would be cool if every bank gave you that original 1000 plat coverage for free then you have to go in and buy additional storage. But still each bank should be seperate. So someone who bases their rp in the north might buy extra storage in Silverymoon and Waterdeep if they are very prosperous, and someone in the east might do the same in Zhentil Keep and one of the other cities they frequent.
I can see some RP logic behind splitting up the banks. The bank in Zhentil Keep chances are would have no association with banks in say, Waterdeep, Berdusk or Silverymoon.... although they might with say, Westgate. Banks in future racial hometowns like Balabel would probably not have established relationships with banks in the Keep. There could be some inter-banking relationships, but you would have to see IC if your coin could be accessed thru another city's banks, much like nowadays looking for an ATM on your bank's network.
"There is no safety for honest men except by believing all possible evil of evil men."

Kregor - Ranger of Tangled Trees
Rozor - Lady Luck's Duelist
Tygen - Ranger-Bard of Mielikki
Kirkus
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Kirkus » Thu Mar 31, 2005 6:49 pm

There is also the option of trade bars. But they bring in a couple fundamental difficulties. They are basically a bar of a certain weight of a pure metal. They would come in certain weights say 1lb 5lb or 10lb. We chould decide on the weights, and the value would be roughly 50 times the value of a coin per pound. So a 1lb trade bar of platinum has the value of 50 plat. All these little details can be decided upon by the admins or whoever. The problem I see is that this would take most likely another bank code change to accept them or we are stuck carring arround big ol' bars of money. So once again storage becomes the issue. Basically I just wanted to get this discussion going again. My first choice is to remove the cap on the banks.
Isolrem
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Isolrem » Sun Apr 03, 2005 10:03 pm

Beyond possibly a special offer for those involved in the merchant's guild, I can't see why people should have so much money.

In FR, gold coins is the more common highest form of income, and 1000 platinums (e.g. 5000 gold) is discussed in the books mostly as a fortune, and that it is. Personally I've never seen 100 platinums in one place.
Chars: Aryvael et all.
Crunk
Sword Novice
Sword Novice

Post by Crunk » Mon Apr 04, 2005 12:43 am

For those who read this thread with the same mentality as Isolrem and crew, you need to think of how much dwellings cost. With a nice dwelling (in my opinion) costing upwards of three thousand platinum, the bank limits, as they stand, don't lend themselves to helping with that. Now, consider the length of time, currently at least, from whence a person applies for said dwelling to when some headway, the payment for example, is made. I've heard of times upwards of eighteen and twenty months elapsing with still no word. Now, for those who have slaves and pets to hold their coin, that's all fine and well; but, like it's been mentioned, coin is not very light. There are an aweful lot of opportunities for this coin to be lost. I like two of the ideas proposed.

A preferance, and I think the easiest option from a coding standpoint, is to remove the balance cap. The second idea I would tend to agree with is that of the metal bars, each being worth some incriment of its coin counterpart. A third option I would like to offer would be that of a locker of sorts. I have personally only seen this once before. The idea would be that a character, for a monthly or yearly fee, could rent a locker space of some sort. Nothing different than when we go skiing or go to an amusement park or the like. A player could have a choice of perhaps three different size lockers, each with a fee of increasing value. Anything could be kept in said locker.

I know from experience with my own mud that an idea like this is a monumental coding task, but given if it were to be broken down over a great span of time, i.e. a year (I know coders are at a premium right now), it's not terrible. These lockers could be succeptible to theft, unless it has been: a) trapped b) insured/some sort of additional protection plan has been purchased. Just a few ideas. People seems to love the idea for lockers when I ask; but I can understand why, with a todo log such as FK has, the most obvious choice would be to remove the cap. Thanks for your time and I hope to see some input on this topic again. :)