Elven beards

To share knowledge about the world and links to useful resources.
Granel

Elven beards

Post by Granel » Sun Aug 10, 2003 4:37 pm

Principly in other fantasy worlds elven heritage dictates that elves change little in the case of facial hair. I have never seen a beared elf in Fk so I was wondering do elves tend not to grow beards?

This might sound strange but I have often pondered the case of this because it seemed strange to me, so I'm asking if anyone knows exactly why.
Thank you.
Andreas
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Elven Physiology

Post by Andreas » Sun Aug 10, 2003 7:01 pm

Elves cannot grow facial hair.

Their forms were magically created and thus they skipped the evolutionary stages undergone by other races (i.e. humans) that have left such races with vestigial organs/hair growth. This is also the same reason why elves don't have canine teeth.

"I, myself, was flattered to have caught the eye of an attractive female elf warrior who seemed intrigued by the novelty of my beard and, in her words, my 'charming barbarity'" (Captain Carreigh Macumail - a human)

Elves of Evermeet, p. 22

"One interesting elven characteristic that few are aware of is the elves' lack of canine teeth. Since they sprang, full-fledged into the form they now occupy, they skipped the evolution process undergone by so many other races. Thus, although they are omnivores and their teeth are all strong, they have no pointed, canine incisors."

Complete Handbook of Elves, pp. 30-31

I seem to remember some quotes in the novels on this subject too but I'll have to look them up and post them later.
Helm keep thee.
Rhelian

Re: Elven beards

Post by Rhelian » Sun Aug 10, 2003 10:16 pm

Incase you were curious halfelves are able to grow beards due to their mixed herritage - from what I remember, as halfelves are outcasts by both elves and humans, although humans are more accepting, many halfelves grow beards if they are to live near a human settlement, to try and "humanise" themselves.
Gratey
Sword Master
Sword Master

Post by Gratey » Sat Nov 29, 2003 4:23 pm

allright here is another question n that region Can Elfs have freckles?

Or the teenage problem of acne?
Penryn
Sword Apprentice
Sword Apprentice

Freckles

Post by Penryn » Sat Nov 29, 2003 6:24 pm

Yes but only one type have I ever found in literature that have held it.

Sy'Tel'Quessir or Wood elves are deeper of skin, rich and almond that can hold such things as freckles to their skin but even there it is a scattering and few. Remember Sy'Tel'Quessir are supposed to be very uncommonly seen and few in number.

The following do not get freckles from what I have noticed in accessories and books about elves within Forgotten Realms.

Ar'Tel'Quessir or Sunrise/Gold Elves commonly called
Teu'Tel'Quessir or Moon/Grey Elves commonly Called
Sea Elves
Avariel elves
Lythari elves

All of those seem to always have flawless skin from what I have read and can tell. I hope this helps.

sincerely,
Jeffery
Lerytha
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Lerytha » Sat Jun 17, 2006 9:11 pm

I'm not sure where else to put this, because I didn't want to start a new thread just for this little question:

Does elvish eyesight deteriorate over time like human eyesight? Would playing an elf with glasses by ICly inappropriate?
If you have knowledge, let others light their candles with it.

--Sir Winston Churchill

"This place is boring, I'm gonna go eat whatever I can find laying on the ground"

-- Hoildric

Cacie asks Larethiel 'Did that air just bow to you?
Gwain
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Gwain » Sun Jun 18, 2006 12:41 am

I would think that an elf would not be adverse to improving his or her eyesight, even if they have elven eyes, it does not mean they can't wear glasses to make it even better, though they'd probably gain the power to see through clothes up close. I can't think of any Faerunian elven examples, but I have read that Dragonlance elves do have sight deteriation in their elder years.
Justice is not neccesarily honourable, it is a tolerable business, in essence you tolerate honour until it impedes justice, then you do what is right.

Spelling is not necessarily correct :)
Ellian
Sword Master
Sword Master

Post by Ellian » Sun Jun 18, 2006 8:00 am

I found a good exerpt from Races Of The Wild:
Aging and Death
Elves are blessed with extraordinarily long life spans and a graceful, easy aging process that features none of the ravages of disease, infirmity, or atrophy that plague other folk. Time does not even begin to touch an elf until she passes a century and a half in age. For two full human lifetimes, sometimes three, she remains in the bloom of youth, her features virtually indistinguishable from those of a 20-year-old elf girl.
Elves do eventually age, but their aging takes a form not seen in other races. Their faces remain unlined, their hair remains ungrayed, and their skin remains smooth and strong, but middle-aged elves begin to develop a sort of etherealness of otherworldly quality, as their spirits burn brighter and stronger than their bodies can endure. In the course of their lifetimes, elves undergo a living transformation from beings of flesh and blood to beings of spirit and light, for lack of a better description. Physical strength, quickness and hardiness slowly fade (elves lose and gain ability score points on Table 6-5 in the Player's Handbook, just like other races), but elves suffer no pain, difficulty, or sickness in their aging. Even though their bodies grow weaker, they enjoy good health and physical beauty until the moment of death. While others may be deceived by the apparent youthfulness of an aged elf, the elf herself is not. An elf swordswoman does not spend her last decades trying to be the fighter she was in her youth. Instead, as her physicality erodes, she leaves her warrior duties for younger and more vigorous elves and moves on to different roles and responsibilities - often instructing those who follow in her footsteps, or perhaps taking up an artistic pursuit.
The section goes on but the rest of it deals with elven funeral traditions and things like that. All in all it's an interesting read though, I reccomend you pick it up if you're interested in FR elven culture. My exerpt doesn't directly answer the question of elves wearing glasses or not, but hey, it's still good stuff to know if you want to roleplay an aging elf.

Jayson
Lerytha
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Lerytha » Sun Jun 18, 2006 9:00 am

Thank you both. :)
If you have knowledge, let others light their candles with it.

--Sir Winston Churchill

"This place is boring, I'm gonna go eat whatever I can find laying on the ground"

-- Hoildric

Cacie asks Larethiel 'Did that air just bow to you?
Dugald
Sword Master
Sword Master

Post by Dugald » Sun Jun 18, 2006 9:29 am

I have a hard time picturing an elf with "reading glasses". Their eyesight is /significantly/ more finely tuned than a human's. An elf would have to swallow an awful lot of pride to turn to a human mechanism to improve his eyesight...
Kregor
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Kregor » Sun Jun 18, 2006 3:24 pm

Elven eyesight is much finer than a human's, which is why elves are given the innate ability to locate hidden entrances and passages in tabletop, and innate discern in FK.
"There is no safety for honest men except by believing all possible evil of evil men."

Kregor - Ranger of Tangled Trees
Rozor - Lady Luck's Duelist
Tygen - Ranger-Bard of Mielikki
Elwin
Sword Master
Sword Master

Post by Elwin » Sun Jun 18, 2006 4:44 pm

Elves get discern in FK? None of my elves have discern.
From your friendly neighborhood ranger :)
Kregor
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Kregor » Sun Jun 18, 2006 5:20 pm

The subraces since the new char gen do...

Sadly, it wasn't included in the race file for older chars, it was added to simulate 3E elf specs. I dunno if it could be added retroactively or not.
"There is no safety for honest men except by believing all possible evil of evil men."

Kregor - Ranger of Tangled Trees
Rozor - Lady Luck's Duelist
Tygen - Ranger-Bard of Mielikki
Penryn
Sword Apprentice
Sword Apprentice

Post by Penryn » Sat Jun 24, 2006 1:36 am

I would like to get it retroactively if it did happen :)

but ether wa it is kewl the new ones get it.