Yelling Suggestion

For the discussion of general topics about the game.
Legault
Sword Journeyman
Sword Journeyman

Yelling Suggestion

Post by Legault » Fri Jan 27, 2006 4:25 am

Hey guys, I had a quick little suggestion about yelling.

When yelling, something like this comes, when a person who hasnt greeted you yelles

A blue eyed, blonde haired male half-elf yells,'Get back here dirtbag!'

Now, from this, you should not be able to tell eye color, hair color, skin color, etc.
My suggestion, for yells from people who haven't greeted you, is something simple, along the lines of-

A male/man yells,'Get back here dirtbag!'

Comments?
Legault, Kesno, Balmek, Nezbit
Tortus
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Tortus » Fri Jan 27, 2006 7:03 am

Another idea would be to have a voice adjective, or to able to specify how you sound when you yell that particular time.
Legault
Sword Journeyman
Sword Journeyman

Post by Legault » Fri Jan 27, 2006 11:08 pm

I like that idea much better, may be hard to code.
Telk
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Telk » Sat Jan 28, 2006 8:35 pm

This would confuse players. You wouldn't be able to tell the difference between who is yelling when ICly you could. RP it ICly, you shouldn't have to have hard code to enforce how you RP.
Telk
Tortus
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Tortus » Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:09 pm

While I fundamentally agree with you, Telk, I must say that when the game tells you something you sometimes just go with it without thinking too much about it.
I still think either a voice adjective or nothing at all unless you've greeted the person should be seen when yelling.

Ex.
Someone yells, "Give me that!"
or, if greeted,
Tim yells, "Give me that!"

Ex2.
Someone yells in a high-pitched tone, "Give me that!"
or again, if greeted,
Tim yells, "Give me that!"

High-pitched would be the voice adjective there, and you might agree that it would be nice to have that one be changeable from yell to yell, like so:

yell {high-pitched} Give me that!

I'm very sleepy at the moment, so I apologise if I don't make any sense.
Gwain
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Gwain » Sun Jan 29, 2006 5:26 am

I love that idea, once someone greets you you can recognise the voice and if not it is unrecogniseable...well done :D

Go farther, maybe a way to tell if it is female or male or of a different race? Maybe a smote for yelling?
like smoteyell growly "text"
someone growls loudly "Where's the cheese!"
Justice is not neccesarily honourable, it is a tolerable business, in essence you tolerate honour until it impedes justice, then you do what is right.

Spelling is not necessarily correct :)
Tortus
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Tortus » Sun Jan 29, 2006 9:34 am

Why thank you, Gwain. :)

First, I thought I'd expand my Ex2. into... Behold...

Ex2b.

or again, if greeted,
Tim yells in a high-pitched tone, "Give me that!"

(Should've thought of that yesterday but somehow the idea evaded me.)

About being able to tell if it's a female or male:

Of course. Why didn't I think of that? :)

It could be argued though, how the different races sound. I'd imagine a female human yelling could have a darker voice than a male elf doing the same, for instance.

Here's something I don't know is a fact; some races don't see all the adjectives of other races.
I've noticed sometimes when I'm playing a halfling, that many other players show as 'a male human' and such. Maybe a way for the voices to be like that as well? If you're a halfling, and another halfling yells something, you might be able to recognize him as one of the hin and such.

Another way would be to just use the voice adjectives. Have one default (high-pitched, perhaps), and then let the player decide if it's a male or female. There are tons of ways to do this basically. :)

In a halfling perspective, Tim is yelling:
Same halfling, Frodo (ungreeted, of course) is yelling:
A male halfling* yells in a high-pitched tone, "Give me that!"

*I argue that if you know the gender, you'd automatically know that it's another of your race.

Whew, that got longer than I expected. :D
Legault
Sword Journeyman
Sword Journeyman

Post by Legault » Sun Jan 29, 2006 6:31 pm

The same problem comes with every suggestion- How hard to code?
Isolrem
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Isolrem » Tue Feb 21, 2006 10:14 pm

A increased set of app structure
in this case it would mean an extra string to be saved with the character, decided upon time of making description

SYNTAX voice <adjective>
voice michievous
yell Hello Ellandor! - > a michievous voice yells "Hello Ellandor!"
cast invis
say Hello visible mortal - > a mischievous voice says "Hello visible mortal"
Chars: Aryvael et all.
Shabanna
Sword Master
Sword Master

Post by Shabanna » Tue Feb 21, 2006 10:59 pm

:D

I love the simple suggestion of it being
Someone yells " Your mother was a hamster!" --if it is ungreeted
or
Bubba yells " Your Mother was a hamster!" ---if you have greeted

It makes a lot of sense that you would recognize a familiar voice and be cluess if it were not someone you knew.

I think keeping it very simple would be the key the more you try to sophisticate it the more of a nutroll it becomes code wise, no doubt and in its simplest form... I think it really would work ICly

"The Banna"
"May Fortune climb into your lap and refuse to leave"
Builder Council: Journeyman
Zach

Post by Zach » Wed Feb 22, 2006 1:00 am

we can combine smote and yell..

smell!!!!!
Isolrem
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Isolrem » Wed Feb 22, 2006 1:19 am

unfortunately greeted and familiarity are often separate things
Chars: Aryvael et all.
Argentia
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Argentia » Wed Feb 22, 2006 2:10 am

One thing I like to do is quess at a person's identity(If they're yelling/invis/ect.) based on the colour of their text. I figure the colour of their text resembles the sound of their voice. There might be some people who have very dark, deep sounding voices(grey, brown, dark red), very bright and cheery voices(red, pink, yellow) or maybe soothing or noble voices(white, blue) so I feel that guessing at a person's identity based on colour is fun and accurate. Also, Jane the happy enchantress of Sune may sound similiar to Kate the priestess of Llira, and both have pink colour text, but they both sound very different from Tom the dreadmaster who has grey text.

But anyway, that's just silly ol' me.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and go well with ketchup.
Balek
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Balek » Wed Feb 22, 2006 2:47 am

One problem I can see with changing the yell system so that it gives a generic "Someone yells 'x'" or "A man yells 'x'" is that there are situations in which multiple people are all yelling. Realistically we would be able to tell two different 'someone's' apart, in most circumstances. For this reason it would be easiest to simply leave the system as it is. Why? Because we all know that we can't see the person yelling. We all know that we can't really discern a person's eye color based on their yell. The adjective or name is simply a convenient way of matching up the yell with a person you either know or do not know and keeping different yells organized.

There's nothing strictly wrong with adding a 'speaking adjective' or 'voice adjective' so that we know what sort of voice a person might have, but I think it's unneccessary. It would add some clutter when someone's yelling.

A red-bearded male dwarf with a deep booming voice yells...

And to use the speaking adjective without the normal adjective would be fairly confusing I think. You go for a few years talking to an ungreeted red-bearded male dwarf, then all of a sudden when he yells he's 'a dwarf with a deep booming voice." Do you know what dwarf it is? Probably not, it's a completely different adjective. It could be any dwarf. Should you know it's the dwarf you've spoken to numerous times? Probably.
Zach

Post by Zach » Wed Feb 22, 2006 2:49 am

Argentia wrote:One thing I like to do is quess at a person's identity(If they're yelling/invis/ect.) based on the colour of their text.
I base most of my chars text color on their personality. Strong, streight forward, calm... purple... funny, bright, takes everything lightly... white
Akela
Sword Bumbler
Sword Bumbler

Post by Akela » Fri Mar 10, 2006 2:01 am

Argentia wrote:One thing I like to do is quess at a person's identity(If they're yelling/invis/ect.) based on the colour of their text. I figure the colour of their text resembles the sound of their voice. There might be some people who have very dark, deep sounding voices(grey, brown, dark red), very bright and cheery voices(red, pink, yellow) or maybe soothing or noble voices(white, blue) so I feel that guessing at a person's identity based on colour is fun and accurate. Also, Jane the happy enchantress of Sune may sound similiar to Kate the priestess of Llira, and both have pink colour text, but they both sound very different from Tom the dreadmaster who has grey text.

But anyway, that's just silly ol' me.
I do the same thing.. I do it subconciously though.. I'll judge people about if I think they're nice or whatever depending on the color of their voice.
Griselda The Rash, Marilyn, Brier
---He without sin casts the first stone.---