Lose 50 pounds with Archbishop, Workout Guru!

To share knowledge about the world and links to useful resources.
Theillik

Lose 50 pounds with Archbishop, Workout Guru!

Post by Theillik » Sun Mar 26, 2006 5:03 pm

I hope this isn't classified as IC info. Sorry, if it is.

The Archbishop of the Temple of Waterdeep gives a quest for most people to run around to every temple in Waterdeep, learning about every religion.

I see some of the benefits to this, but I find at a low level, this quest can take a long time.:) (sorry)

I'm just suggesting that a different approach be taken to learning of the faiths. If you are required to learn about a faith, then you should be able to find that temple and ask a clergyman.

Codewise: HPs in temple could just offer to tell you of their deity, and if you say the deity's name, then they will share their info (only once).

This way, if you are required to learn of a faith, you can do it without having to learn about all the faiths, something you may not be required to do in the first place.

OR! Give people who do that quest +1 con and running skills:)
Last edited by Theillik on Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ellian
Sword Master
Sword Master

Re: Lose 50 pounds with Archbishop, Workout Guru!

Post by Ellian » Sun Mar 26, 2006 5:19 pm

Theillik wrote:I see some of the benefits to this, but I find at a low level, this quest is just plain annoying.
A lot of work and creativity goes into writing any quest. It would probably be very discouraging to the writer of this quest to see it criticized like this. If you want a quest or quests to learn about particular faiths rather than every faith, you can write out your ideas and send them to quests@forgottenkingdoms.com.
Balek
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Balek » Sun Mar 26, 2006 8:31 pm

There are currently some quests in the game to teach you about specific religions and I'm pretty sure the imms would be receptive to the idea of someone writing them for more faiths if you wanted to. The quest you referenced here is most likely intended as a more general overview of the faiths available in Waterdeep. If you'd rather learn about a specific faith, you could skip that quest and go do the one in that faith's temple.
Elwin
Sword Master
Sword Master

Post by Elwin » Sun Mar 26, 2006 8:54 pm

Balek is correct. The IMMs do prefer a good in depth quest to learn about a specific faith in many of the temples. However, there are still quite a few temples that need those quests added to them. Like Ellian and Balek said. Write a quest for the faith you want there to be one for. Do not just come on the boards and complain about a quest that took a lot of time to create and code for the game.
From your friendly neighborhood ranger :)
Kelemvor
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Kelemvor » Mon Mar 27, 2006 1:01 am

As noted above, religion quests may be submitted by any player willing to write up an idea and submit it to quests@forgottenkingdoms.com.

Regarding quests such as that one though, please remember that it is never merely about the visible gain from the quest. This is true of a number of quests of course, but this one highlights a couple of points.

Quests take too long... just because a quest can't be completed at one sitting does not make it less effective than one that is done in a few minutes with minimal effort.

Quests involve too much walking about... searching out NPCs and objects for quests helps players to learn about places ICly. Learning where shops are, what items they sell and who can be found in the various towns and cities of Toril is often of great importance to newer players.

With both of the above, there is also the interaction with other players that such quests bring. Finding someone who can tell you where a temple is located, tracking down someone with 'locate object' or 'magic mirror' skills to pinpoint what you need, asking folk to accompany you if a journey is long or difficult or just plain boring.

The specific quest noted has a number of purposes and was written to address a need for newer players.

It serves to give information, encourages exploration of Waterdeep, provides a nice IC means for folk to ask questions of other players about the religion system and introduces them to a number of NPCs who they may need later in their playing career.

Not all players have Faiths & Pantheons to hand when they start to look into the idea of religion and the Help Files only give the bare bones so quests like this one are an ideal means of providing the information.

With any of the hundreds of quests in the game, try to look beyond the glory or item reward or the effort involved in completing it. Quest writers give up their free time to enhance the game. Singling out their work because it doesnt exactly meet your view of how the information could best be imparted is impolite to say the least.
...never send to know for whom the bell tolls,
it tolls for thee.
Nicolya
Sword Apprentice
Sword Apprentice

Post by Nicolya » Wed Aug 30, 2006 7:30 am

I actually loved this quest, even though my character kept sighing and complaining to the archbishop about having to walk everywhere.

There was one small problem I noticed, but maybe it was just me. When told to find a certain priest/priestess to ask about the faith and the mob that answers the question didnt appear to be that person.

I dont want to say to much as i dont want to give out any information.
Other than that I really enjoyed it.
- Current Character -
Cerise Kadrimme
Dalvyn
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Dalvyn » Wed Aug 30, 2006 4:19 pm

There is a common misconception that just because a quest is coded and you found it, you have to do it.

That is false.

Your character doesn't want to run around?
Your character is not interested in learning about the gods?
Your character does not like the Archbishop?

Then just ignore the quest.
Leohand
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Leohand » Fri Sep 01, 2006 4:58 am

My True Neutral Elf was given that quest, and she didn't have the patience for it at all, so she ignorred it. Her personality is, she hates undead and 'unnatural' things. She doesn't really care about right and wrong, so much as what people think of her. She's pretty shallow there. She's also impulsive and stubborn. She asked around about religions that dislike the undead, and she is in the process of joining with Kelemvor.

My other two characters are more patienr and will probably try to complete that quest. Certainly my Cleric will, because it's in their personalities to do so.
Windows 95: n.
32 bit extensions and a graphical shell for a 16 bit patch to an 8 bit operating system originally coded for a 4 bit microprocessor, written by a 2 bit company, that can't stand 1 bit of competition.
Leohand
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Leohand » Fri Sep 01, 2006 3:41 pm

Leohand wrote:My True Neutral Elf was given that quest, and she didn't have the patience for it at all, so she ignorred it. Her personality is, she hates undead and 'unnatural' things. She doesn't really care about right and wrong, so much as what people think of her. She's pretty shallow there. She's also impulsive and stubborn. She asked around about religions that dislike the undead, and she is in the process of joining with Kelemvor.

My other two characters are more patienr and will probably try to complete that quest. Certainly my Cleric will, because it's in their personalities to do so.

Note that to play a patient character, you, the player, have to be patient. And I am patient. Well, for the most part. I immagine that quest will test me to my limits, especially if I have to do it twice, but I'll manage.
Windows 95: n.
32 bit extensions and a graphical shell for a 16 bit patch to an 8 bit operating system originally coded for a 4 bit microprocessor, written by a 2 bit company, that can't stand 1 bit of competition.