A Technical Question

For the discussion of general topics about the game.
Lukon
Sword Apprentice
Sword Apprentice

A Technical Question

Post by Lukon » Tue Sep 26, 2006 12:38 pm

Could one of the more computer-literate players please help me with a little dilemma?

My main source of internet access are the wireless areas at my college campus. However, when I use this connection, I find myself completely unable to access anything related to Telnet, or even programs like Trillian(no clue if that's related, but the newest version of AIM somehow works.)

But...no telnet = no FK...= tears

I've checked everything I can think of with my own computer, and can log in elsewhere. Is there anything I can do to correct this telnet lockout, or is this just a letdown I'll have to deal with, some part of their network security?

Lukon
"Everybody dies sometime..."
Lathlain
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Lathlain » Tue Sep 26, 2006 1:42 pm

I know a lot of colleges have a habit of filtering certain ports of their connection. In their infinite wisdom, they deem communication and communications software as a danger and a threat to the integrity of their inmates.

Your best bet, and I know you'll hate it, is to speak to the administrators (Or, more preferably, ask some of the local student techies if there are any) and find out if that really is the case.
"This is General Lath'lain Dy'nesir, of the Ebon Spur. Walking Murder surrounded by a thin veneer of civility."
-Miriel
Ninde
Sword Apprentice
Sword Apprentice

Post by Ninde » Tue Sep 26, 2006 3:42 pm

And if that won't work, there are some progams that you can open up a port via your computer. You can download a program that can work, if talking with technical administrator won't work.
Zach

Post by Zach » Tue Sep 26, 2006 4:59 pm

OR!!! make your self a port forwarding program and log into the system, upload it and forward your port to an "accepted" port and have it reroute to the port that you need to log onto FK

NOTE: I did not intend this to be something you should do. Just as a joke. Please do not try this at home or anywhere else. I am not responsible for what may come to you
Last edited by Zach on Tue Sep 26, 2006 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tortus
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Tortus » Tue Sep 26, 2006 5:10 pm

Something that I got by on while working ( :roll: ), was this little applet:

http://mudconnector.com/java/Telnet/
Tandria
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Tandria » Tue Sep 26, 2006 10:05 pm

I could use a bit of tech help, myself.

I've been mostly gone because of net troubles with my comp. For some reason, my comp absolutely REFUSES to connect to the internet. It connects, it SAYS it's connected, but . . . nothing. No MSN, no FK, no internet explorer, nothing.

Mask has been helping me out, but we're stumped at this point. I've been without net for weeks and running out of options. Any help? :(
"May your travels be Wonderful and Mysterious."
Lathlain
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Lathlain » Tue Sep 26, 2006 10:42 pm

*Edit* This post is meant for Tandria's issue *Edit*

I assume you're connecting through a DSL modem here?

Basically this could be caused by a lot of things, and it's a bloody infuriating issue. The first thing I'd advise doing is to try pinging an IP, to see whether it's a DNS issue. Provided you're using a PC, the best way to do this is to go to the start menu, click on 'run' and enter the command 'cmd'. If that works, pressing enter or 'okay' should bring up the large black command prompt window. Into this, type the command 'ping 209.126.145.101' (Or another IP if you know any... I just fished that one out by pinging forgottenkingdoms, but it may not be static).

If that works, you'll see something like:
Reply from 209.126.145.101: bytes=32 time=45ms TTL=245

If you see the above, get in touch with your ISP, or check their website out and find out what their DNS address(es) is/are.

If that doesn't work, disable any and all anti-virus and firewall software on the computer. Close 'em down altogether, 'cos they cause more trouble than I can ever explain. Only for troubleshooting, of course - No need to leave it down forever. If this works though, you'd need to look at the settings for the said program to see if there's anything amiss.

I've just realised this post could become ridiculously long if I go on as I'd intended, so if you still have difficulties after trying the above, or if you want some more suggestions first, drop me a PM, an email or the like and I'll be more than happy to blabber inanely about internet error troubleshooting techniques :P
Last edited by Lathlain on Wed Sep 27, 2006 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
"This is General Lath'lain Dy'nesir, of the Ebon Spur. Walking Murder surrounded by a thin veneer of civility."
-Miriel
Zach

Post by Zach » Tue Sep 26, 2006 11:20 pm

It also sounds like you are on a Wireless internet...if this is so... try restarting the routers and such, wiggle the cables into the router and the modem and all that fun stuff...

If you are not, what started this trouble... and what type of computer are you on?
Ceara
Sword Master
Sword Master

Post by Ceara » Tue Sep 26, 2006 11:48 pm

If you can connect to the internet but not telnet or IM programs, then it is likely blocked on the firewall. Have you tried using the java client for FK?
Or use an actual mud client rather than a telnet client.
Japcil
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Japcil » Wed Sep 27, 2006 1:19 am

Did you move any part of the computer before this happened? Did you install any software or OS updates? How about are you running a specific internet sequrity suite. I have known norton to cause many of problems for connection software like P2P downloading and Bit Torrent software. If you are running a security suite such as norton try to disable it any attempt to open a new window in a browser and see if it works. All else fails clean out all the connections you have saved and re-configure them. If you have specific settings from your provider make sure you have an extra copy of them before wiping them and confirm that they are up to date with the provider.
Valdimyr
Sword Novice
Sword Novice

Post by Valdimyr » Wed Sep 27, 2006 6:32 am

Click Start, click Run, type in Msconfig and press enter, click on the startup tab, then go to the bottom and click Disable All, then click Apply and it will prompt you to restart your computer. When it restarts, a box will come up letting you know that you are running with a selective startup put a check in the box to never show the message again(because it gets annoying after awhile) and click ok.

Then, connect to the internet, see if it works. If it does, then the problem is with a program that runs at the start up of your computer. At this time, return to the Msconfig startup tab, and put a check in the bottom 5 boxes, and restart. Then see if you are still able to connect and access what you couldn't before. If it is still working, go back to the Msconfig startup tab and put a check in the next 5 boxes...do this until it stops working, then go through the last 5 boxes you checked, and uncheck them one by one, and try to see if the internet is working each time you uncheck one. After about an hour, you will have found the program that is the culprit.

If you uncheck all the boxes from the get go and it still doesn't work, then it is the security settings on the server and the only way around having the Server Administrator changing the settings for you is to reroute a port as someone mentioned in a previous post, though I would highly recommend not doing that and asking the Administrator to change the settings for you.

Good luck with your problem
Sincerely,
Valdimyr
Lukon
Sword Apprentice
Sword Apprentice

Post by Lukon » Wed Sep 27, 2006 9:18 am

Thanks for the help, guys, but I don't think it's meant to be. Many ports are blocked through the router here at ACT, and so I don't think I'll be getting past it. The MUDConnector applet didn't work either, so aside from Zach's dangerously illegal hack(at least I think it is), I'm out of ideas.

Just when I was starting a drow, too...
Lerytha
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Lerytha » Wed Sep 27, 2006 9:39 am

What about one of those proxy server things, Lukon? I know that I went on a website once which lets you access blocked websites on a school computer (blocked being things like FK website, nothing else). Maybe then, clicking on the fktelnet link on the homepage would open up all normally, whilst you're within that window?
If you have knowledge, let others light their candles with it.

--Sir Winston Churchill

"This place is boring, I'm gonna go eat whatever I can find laying on the ground"

-- Hoildric

Cacie asks Larethiel 'Did that air just bow to you?
Lukon
Sword Apprentice
Sword Apprentice

Post by Lukon » Mon Oct 16, 2006 11:22 am

Back again, after some talking and being offered a solution.

Apparently, I have to use SSH to connect, though I have no idea how.
No clue. Not even an inkling. I've been trying to figure out how SSH or port forwarding work for a week, and not even a clue.

I think I actually need an SSH server to connect through or something...so lost am I.

Any idea where I should even start?
Ceara
Sword Master
Sword Master

Post by Ceara » Mon Oct 16, 2006 11:47 am

Yeah you need to connect to a computer with a ssh server. There is an option in the client for port forwarding. Then you run a client or telnet through the ssh server.
Raona
Staff
Staff

Post by Raona » Mon Oct 16, 2006 1:27 pm

Lukon, this may help a bit:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_SSH_clients

I think this describes options for the program you will need on your computer (the client). This is where Ceara says you should choose the option for port forwarding. However, I have no idea what to direct you to have such a program to try to connect to...FK directly? Anyone know?
Lukon
Sword Apprentice
Sword Apprentice

Post by Lukon » Mon Oct 16, 2006 4:26 pm

Thanks, guys. I finally managed to connect by giving up on SSH and using an HTTP proxy. I talked to tech support, and they said it was cool. (Greeks are awesome...) as long as I only used zMUD, so all's well.

Again, thanks. Once again, the FK community proves its awesome.
Zach

Post by Zach » Mon Oct 16, 2006 4:33 pm

so one of the first things we suggested worked! awesome!