Containers

For the discussion of general topics about the game.
Paskry

Containers

Post by Paskry » Fri Oct 13, 2006 2:15 am

I was wondering if a program could be added to the 'examine' command.
So that it would look similar to this:

a wooden chest set with emeralds contains:
When you look inside, you see:
It can be picked up, held.
It cannot be worn with any other armour.
It is medium in size.

It looks like it could hold quite few large items!
It is made of wood and weighs about 3 pounds.

So the new line would show the approximate room left in the container.

Ideas?
Paskry
Tortus
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Tortus » Fri Oct 13, 2006 5:49 am

How about making it so it says something like "it's empty/nearly empty/about half full/almost full/full" instead?
Valdimyr
Sword Novice
Sword Novice

Post by Valdimyr » Fri Oct 13, 2006 7:19 am

Although I find the idea a good one, I don't believe it is necessary. For instance, you can tell/roleplay how much a container should hold by its name or description.

Say it is a large, leather backpack, then I believe you should put around 6 to 8, 2 pound items. Not many, if any do this however, seeing as how the code set in with a container allows you to set a weight limit or amount of items a container can hold, thus code-wise allowing you to be able to hold somewhere in the range of 20 to 30 items in such an item.

I am not saying or asking that the limit should be lowered, as it is hard finding room to store all your goodies, especially if you have no home or other place to store them, but maybe we shouldn't have such a line stating how much else a container can hold, this way we can use our best judgement in considering what we really need and don't need to carry around with us.

(The above statement was based on containers that you can wear)
Now, although you can walk around with a large chest, albeit bad roleplay as I'm sure you would become encumbered rather fastly and wouldn't even think to be able to hold up a weapon for a fight if you held such an item with items inside it, and you would especially look just plain silly standing around with friends in Market Square holding a large, wooden chest embedded with jewels in your hands.

Now, even though code allows you to walk around with such an item, if these chests were merely for being put in a storage room and didn't have the TAKE flag on them and you could add the line that Paskry or Tortus mentioned to those containers only, then I am all for the idea.
Sincerely,
Valdimyr
Tortus
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Tortus » Fri Oct 13, 2006 12:43 pm

Actually, I was talking about packs and such too.

I can't see why it would be a bad thing to know how much more you can put in your bag.

This isn't about whether it's proper RP or not to carry three longswords in a backpack, it's about being able to see how much more you can fit in there.
Paskry

Post by Paskry » Fri Oct 13, 2006 5:12 pm

Yes, that was my intent. Similar to the waterskin code where it says:
It is mostly full.
It is empty.
It is full.
It is almost empty.

Except that my idea would show the size left and how big of an item(s) can still fit in there.

Paskry