Leveling System/Possible Purposal

For the discussion of general topics about the game.
Daediana
Sword Novice
Sword Novice

Leveling System/Possible Purposal

Post by Daediana » Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:37 pm

Hey,

I haven't been in the game as much as I usually am, cause I have just been busy. But I was wondering what happened to our leveling system... the percentage to level is gone, and the only way you can check how far you are to your neck level is by typing level and it doesn't really tell you how far you are... I loved the old leveling system and if it was changed, I purpose to have it changed back. Anyone else feel th same way?
Amalia
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Amalia » Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:56 pm

I submit that if the admins changed something, they had a reason for doing it.

That said, I like the new leveling system. I have no problem with it taking a while-- the best time I ever had was with my first character, who stayed under level 20 for months. I adore the fact that neither I nor anyone else will ever look at their "level percentage" and go "grind" until that 3... 2... 1... percent gets covered. Not being able to know exactly where it is, for me, eliminates the temptation to go kill stuff when there's very little left to go.
Dear Enemy: May the Lord hate you and all your kind, may you be turned orange in hue, and may your head fall off at an awkward moment.
Shabanna
Sword Master
Sword Master

Post by Shabanna » Tue Mar 06, 2007 8:05 pm

Um it can be seen by typing worth. I believe this is what you are asking for? it shows how much gold you are holding and how close you are to the next level? it is no longer shown as a numeric percentage. Now it reads something like "You are 2/3 of the way to your next level."

Please correct me if I am wrong about what you are looking for.

Banna
"May Fortune climb into your lap and refuse to leave"
Builder Council: Journeyman
Amalia
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Amalia » Tue Mar 06, 2007 8:17 pm

You can check your progress to the next level by typing "level" also, which Daedina points out, but I think what she's saying is that she'd rather have a percentage than an approximation.
Dear Enemy: May the Lord hate you and all your kind, may you be turned orange in hue, and may your head fall off at an awkward moment.
Isolrem
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Isolrem » Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:36 pm

what the game lacks is a group of people who run over the game rebalancing things whenever there are changes, especially major changes, to game systems.
this reply seems to be appropriate for several other topics as well
Chars: Aryvael et all.
Lathander
Staff
Staff

Post by Lathander » Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:45 pm

Isolrem, I am having difficulty understanding your comment. Could you please repost more specifically?
Lathander,
Commander of Creativity
Japcil
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Japcil » Wed Mar 07, 2007 4:50 am

Isolrem wrote:what the game lacks is a group of people who run over the game rebalancing things whenever there are changes, especially major changes, to game systems.
this reply seems to be appropriate for several other topics as well
Please see "Code Council" and then clarify for Lathander. From what I took from your post is what that council does, they have say in the code and test the code, before it goes to the game port.
Daediana
Sword Novice
Sword Novice

Post by Daediana » Thu Mar 08, 2007 6:29 pm

Ok I wasnt very specific... sorry... I was wondering what happened to the percentages... I liked the percentage to level thing, and I was use to it, and just happened to like it as the option. I don't care for typing level to see where I am every five minutes in the leveling process. If everyone else likes the change that's fine I just wanted to know what was going on, since I couldn't find a post or anything about the change. I'm just wondering if anyone else feels the same way. And if they do, could it possibly be put back in?
Cret
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Cret » Fri Mar 09, 2007 1:53 am

Im wondering, that with the new lower accumulation of xp, could it be possible that xp used in training be reduced?
Kregor
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Kregor » Fri Mar 09, 2007 1:58 am

I, personally, would like to see another form of currency used for skill and spell training *cough skillpoints cough*
"There is no safety for honest men except by believing all possible evil of evil men."

Kregor - Ranger of Tangled Trees
Rozor - Lady Luck's Duelist
Tygen - Ranger-Bard of Mielikki
Maybel
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Maybel » Fri Mar 09, 2007 2:11 am

*cough agrees cough*

It would balance out the slow exp gain (slightly!) or at least make it less painful

As far as the % exp... I like what it was changed... It gives people less focus for mob bashing... no more thinking "only two more % exp and then we can go*

The focus is taken off of it and put more to the RP of things... at least... in my opinions...
R.I.P.
You will never be forgotten..
In memory of Stephanie
and the best damn RPing I have ever had!
Thank you
Isolrem
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Isolrem » Sat Mar 10, 2007 9:12 pm

less exp gained in combat could be balanced by more ways to acquire exp through RP means. beginner quests that require combat (the majority still) could be tuned down.
More importantly, maybe the player population can discuss and agree upon changes that take place, such as removing level %.
On the subject of which, there may be two takes:
The positive is, as some have said, it discourages level grinding and encourages RP.
The nagative: if the game is all abou rp, why have levels at all? There are games based on pure skills or even based on no mechanical measure of skill - and they are arguably more realistic. Real D&D certainly has a fairly heavy emphasis on experience, where are we deviating to?

I don't stand on either opinion, I'm just saying they are possibilities. It would be nice to think things over in case one day a change stumbles into the latter.
Chars: Aryvael et all.
Tempus
Staff
Staff

Post by Tempus » Sat Mar 10, 2007 9:36 pm

I really don't see what the problem is with the change to the way xp is reported to the player. The change makes the reporting of xp more consistent with the reporting of other values in the game, such as favour, skill levels and stats.

You still have a reasonable idea of how far you are from the next level - it appears to me that there are ten separate grades returned by the 'level' command. Is it really necessary to know more accurately than to within 10% how close to the next level you are, when you have no conceivable idea of your actual exp score in any case?
Tempus does not win battles - Tempus helps the deserving warrior win battles.
Dalvyn
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Dalvyn » Sat Mar 10, 2007 9:43 pm

Isolrem wrote:less exp gained in combat could be balanced by more ways to acquire exp through RP means. beginner quests that require combat (the majority still) could be tuned down.
More ways to gain exp other than grinding mobs is a good idea, obviously. The "reward" command was added for many reasons, but that is one of them. There are several newbie quests that do not require combat (a rather long one in Waterdeep, for example, that mostly consists in "deliver this there" quests, with the multiple goals of giving exp and money to new characters, inciting them to meet up other characters, and guide them in their exploration of the areas around Waterdeep.)

I could add experience gain to the trading system too. I naturally welcome all other ideas, either on the forum, or in a mail to the builder address.
On the subject of which, there may be two takes:
The positive is, as some have said, it discourages level grinding and encourages RP.
The nagative: if the game is all abou rp, why have levels at all? There are games based on pure skills or even based on no mechanical measure of skill - and they are arguably more realistic. Real D&D certainly has a fairly heavy emphasis on experience, where are we deviating to?
I think that restricting the options to the two extremes that you present is a very narrow-minded view of the situation (shared by many, unfortunately).

Extreme A: A game where all players are incited to do is grinding, repeatedly kill monsters (and perhaps PCs too), become powerful, and that's it. It's a game of "each and every one for him/her self", where the only "multiplayer" aspect is to beat others or show how leet your character/equipment is.

Extreme B: A game where there is no combat, only chatting about the weather, where there is no sense of "getting more powerful".

Changes that incite people to roleplay, or that reward roleplayers (with experience, or with skill increases, or with kismet, or with access to better trainers, or anything else) do not mean that we immediately switch from A to B. I believe that it's perfectly possible to have a middle solution, and I see FK as being able to evolve towards a compromise between A and B.
Dapher
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Dapher » Sat Mar 10, 2007 9:52 pm

Honestly I agree. I believe that the new system gives it a great balance. I am no longer bashing the snot out of ogres, goblins ect. And we still have the option of rping, and talking with others.

And not having the % tp the next level is also irritating yet good. I no longer look at my score sheet constantly while in battle trying to see how far to the next level :)

You have my support on this one