Bio

For the discussion of general topics about the game.
Emrys
Sword Apprentice
Sword Apprentice

Bio

Post by Emrys » Tue Jun 12, 2007 2:44 pm

What is the 'Bio' command used for? Is it the same as description?

I tried the command and it put me in an editor. I quickly got out in case it would ruin my desc :p

I thought maybe it was a place to record my history, but I didn't find anything in the help files on that.
The truth cant hurt you its just like the dark
It scares you witless
But in time you see things clear and stark
Kelemvor
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Kelemvor » Tue Jun 12, 2007 4:24 pm

The 'bio' command allows a character to write a short biography about themselves. We may be able to use this information in the future to learn more about a character and/or generate roleplays.

Some of the possible uses are still under discussion though, so I would advise against inputting to it until it is fully implemented and the details posted.
...never send to know for whom the bell tolls,
it tolls for thee.
Dalvyn
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Dalvyn » Tue Jun 12, 2007 6:23 pm

It would have been nice to know that it was already implemented in the first place.
Japcil
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Japcil » Tue Jun 12, 2007 7:03 pm

I've only noticed the command in the command list on the test port. I don't remember seeing it on the main port.
Arothian
Sword Novice
Sword Novice

Post by Arothian » Wed Jun 13, 2007 12:41 am

Just a note, as this mud seems to be based on a HEAVILY modified SMAUG base....

Bio was a command that was used to write your character history, and was what people would read when they typed "Whois <name>"...

As that command was disable, last I checked, Bio may not do anything at all.
Kirkus
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Kirkus » Wed Jun 13, 2007 3:26 pm

I think this could be a very useful system for the mud. Think about it, we are supposed to be adventurers who would become somewhat known across the realms. I think we could use it. We should restrict it to those above a certain level, say 25. That way you would have had to do Something of merit before typing up your grand deeds. It could become a good tool for rp. But it would have to be monitored. Basically it would be like a fuzzy rumor log. Pretty close to the truth but without all the exact details.

So once you reach whatever level we open this up to, that is if we were to use it, you would probably start your bio with the small details like this;
'this guy is a devout follower of such and such. His past is not well known save this, he is from here and went here before this happened which is said to have led him to his current state of badness.'

Then every once in a while we should be encouraged to update our bio to reflect our rp. Kirkus for example would still leave much of his past vague even though some out there have heard the story first hand not enough have to make it common knowledge, but other things like big bad deeds and what not... Like I would put in probably an excuse for my often times absence from the mud which in the real world is college but ingame I would put in something secretive.

Anyway I think this is a kinda cool thing and I'm done talking for now.
I am ready to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter.
Lathander
Staff
Staff

Post by Lathander » Wed Jun 13, 2007 4:37 pm

I disagree. We, at player suggestions, removed the white label from some of the "hero" positions. We also, at player suggestion, no longer promote those positions to level 51. We have increased the number of FM/hero positions. The least we can do for those folks is to allow them the special honor of having a help file that sets them apart.
Lathander,
Commander of Creativity
Lukon
Sword Apprentice
Sword Apprentice

Post by Lukon » Wed Jun 13, 2007 4:52 pm

My knee-jerk response would be: "Why do they need a special honor?" RP is its own reward, and their impact on the game is something tangible and its own testament. From what I've read here, bios could be a useful RP tool for everyone.

It just seems a waste of a command to toss it up to the veterans alone, when it could do that AND more.
"Everybody dies sometime..."
Mele
Staff
Staff

Post by Mele » Wed Jun 13, 2007 5:01 pm

Ah, but if RP has it's own reward, wouldn't there be more reward to RP getting to know someone's bio rather than simply using the finger command to know it? :)

Also. Being a faith manager takes more than roleplay. :) (By this I mean you do a lot of work that takes your ooc memory time and patience :P)
Last edited by Mele on Wed Jun 13, 2007 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Beshaba potatoes.
Horace
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Horace » Wed Jun 13, 2007 6:12 pm

Mele wrote:Also. Being a faith manager takes more than roleplay. :)
I knew it!

Seriously though, the command seems pretty lame. If it was anything more than where you were born, known affiliations, imm run rp's - i wouldn't check it or use it.

That doesn't mean other people wouldn't - i just don't really have an interest in reading about every quest a PC finishes...because that's what it'd turn into after the novelty wore off.
Listen up! People pay good money to see this movie! When they go out to a theater they want cold sodas, hot popcorn, and no monsters in the projection booth! Do I have to come up there myself? Do you think the Gremsters can stand up to the Hulkster?
Dalvyn
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Dalvyn » Wed Jun 13, 2007 6:59 pm

As far as I remember, the idea was not to use "bio" to let players input a text visible by all players, but only by imms.

I agree with several posters above that visible bios are cheap: if you want to share something about your character, then you should do so in-game with IC means.

The idea (which was only briefly discussed - we never reached any conclusion about it) was to offer "bio" as a way for players to write down their character's IC goals and expectations, as well as details of their past. Then, imms (only imms) were supposed to be allowed to check what they wrote and create some roleplay around it.
Kelemvor
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Kelemvor » Wed Jun 13, 2007 7:05 pm

Debate based on assumption is probably not the best way forward.

The command is not yet implemented and its uses not yet decided. The bio description input may not even be made accessible to other players.

As discussed thus far, it could be a means for players to communicate intent and desire to Imms which would allow us to create more informed roleplays around groups of players.

Until something concrete is decided by the Imm team as a whole can I suggest damning opinions are kept to a minimum ;)

EDITED : to note that Dal types his responses faster than mine :)
...never send to know for whom the bell tolls,
it tolls for thee.
Amalia
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Amalia » Wed Jun 13, 2007 7:19 pm

Bio as the IMM-tool described sounds wonderful. I'd love to be able to give IMMs fodder to throw at my characters without stuffing their mailbox with yet more jabber, and having a brief history with any notable points attached to each character file would, in my opinion, be a peachy way to do that.
Dear Enemy: May the Lord hate you and all your kind, may you be turned orange in hue, and may your head fall off at an awkward moment.
Dalvyn
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Dalvyn » Wed Jun 13, 2007 7:39 pm

*** self-edited out ***
Last edited by Dalvyn on Wed Jun 13, 2007 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kirkus
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Kirkus » Wed Jun 13, 2007 8:36 pm

I guess the reason I like the idea was more from the standpoint of sometimes my time away from the mud is longer than my time back, couple that with my lack of taking notes on who is who..... The worst part about coming back is the trying to remember who everyone is. Plus, who ever said that just because it is fingerable you can't rp learning a persons background. It just feels silly every time I come back to have to rp meeting someone again because of ooc lack of knowledge.
I am ready to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter.
Maybel
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Maybel » Wed Jun 13, 2007 8:42 pm

We should restrict it to those above a certain level, say 25.
IF this does get implemented, AND it does have some restriction on it... please do not make it a level restriction, some characters are RP characters and nothing more, and so are levels 10-15... thus making them renowned for their work and presence but not for their "adventures"

Thus it should be based on character kismit, hours played, or glory

my opinion
R.I.P.
You will never be forgotten..
In memory of Stephanie
and the best damn RPing I have ever had!
Thank you
Forgoil
Sword Novice
Sword Novice

Post by Forgoil » Tue Jun 19, 2007 9:44 pm

I'm really sorry but I guess I didn't catch all of this. So the "Bio" command, does it even exist for the immortals to see still? Sorry about this but I got kinda lost lol.
"This is my shield, I bear it before me into battle, but it is not mine alone. It protects my brother on my left. It protects my city. I will never let my brother out of it's shadow nor my city out of its shelter."
Rhytania
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Rhytania » Tue Jun 19, 2007 9:50 pm

The intent of the command is for you to fill in your characters history and biography. Perhaps key events that happened in his or her life so that the imms can see that and use it to facilitate roleplay with your character.
Forgoil
Sword Novice
Sword Novice

Post by Forgoil » Tue Jun 19, 2007 9:57 pm

Oooohhhhhh okay, thank you for clearing that up for me. :D
"This is my shield, I bear it before me into battle, but it is not mine alone. It protects my brother on my left. It protects my city. I will never let my brother out of it's shadow nor my city out of its shelter."
Caelyvar
Sword Apprentice
Sword Apprentice

Post by Caelyvar » Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:25 pm

I would really like the Bio command.

Either have the info be completely OOC or be completely IC and be able to post things that the IMM's or players need to know.

I have a tough enough time remembering my own strange history without remembering everyone elses