adertisements in the paper

For the discussion of general topics about the game.
Rhianon
Sword Apprentice
Sword Apprentice

adertisements in the paper

Post by Rhianon » Fri Sep 21, 2007 4:42 pm

Since we are trying to make this as realistic as possible, why can't there be advertizements in the paper for different shops telling where someone can get things repaired, or created, or purchased??? Buy a paper just like in the real world, and check out the ads to see who is having a sale, or who can mend your tired worn out armour, or leather goods.
Oghma
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Oghma » Fri Sep 21, 2007 4:47 pm

You can submit articles to the Kingdoms Journal through the publications email and they will be posted on the forums. In the past there was a sort of ongoing newsheet with advertisements. I could see it being utilized again for pc merchant sales and the like.
May you find the knowledge you seek. If you find something else, it is still knowledge, and as such, still a gain.
Dalvyn
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Dalvyn » Fri Sep 21, 2007 5:39 pm

Actually, it would be quite easy to create an in-game journal, if some players were interested in working on it (i.e., writing articles/ads/...).
Raona
Staff
Staff

Post by Raona » Sat Sep 22, 2007 12:51 am

...and as it stands, if you would like something put into the Waterdeep Newspaper, that's doable too! Just write the copy on a parchment, and give it to Raona IC (or PM me, as I'm not on so much of late). :cry:

Hopefully, there will soon be a designated place for advertisements just such as these...but I'm getting ahead of myself! Maybe there will be, though.
Rhianon
Sword Apprentice
Sword Apprentice

Post by Rhianon » Sat Sep 22, 2007 4:12 am

I was not just talking about PC's but MOBS as well, we all do business with various mobs throught out the kingdoms, it seems only fair that we should see them advertize in the paper. How many times have characters wandered all over heck and back trying to find someplace to repair something, and if you asked others, they might not know either. It would be a time saver, and make it life like.
Raona
Staff
Staff

Post by Raona » Sat Sep 22, 2007 1:17 pm

Rhianon wrote:I was not just talking about PC's but MOBS as well, we all do business with various mobs throught out the kingdoms, it seems only fair that we should see them advertize in the paper. How many times have characters wandered all over heck and back trying to find someplace to repair something, and if you asked others, they might not know either. It would be a time saver, and make it life like.
Ah! I get it now...Lukan Barra has some tips to this effect on his map of Waterdeep, so I suppose more of the same wouldn't be giving away too much IC information? I'd actually like to ask for guidance on that, rather than assuming, before anyone puts in too much effort to that effect, but I think it's a fine idea.
Hrosskell
Staff
Staff

Post by Hrosskell » Sun Sep 23, 2007 11:10 pm

It's not "giving away IC info" if you buy a newspaper or directory of sorts - ICly. Like the maps of Waterdeep, you have the equivalent of Ye Olde Time Yellow Pages.
Jamais arriere.
Mele
Staff
Staff

Post by Mele » Mon Sep 24, 2007 12:16 am

I think this is gold. :) It would help an rp I've been plotting greatly, infact. :D
Beshaba potatoes.
Dalanna
Sword Apprentice
Sword Apprentice

Post by Dalanna » Mon Sep 24, 2007 12:29 am

Could do a lot with this if players were willing to write.

I can see a dwarf going around and rating the inns and taverns of Faerun after sampling their drinks. Or spotlights on different shops and their wares. Reports on incidents and characters put in the prisons... etc.
Dalvyn
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Dalvyn » Mon Sep 24, 2007 1:12 am

Dalanna, what you suggest is already possible: you can publish in-game books. They can be anything, ranging from poetry book to (short) novels, or recipe books, or history books, or inn/tavern guides.
Dalanna
Sword Apprentice
Sword Apprentice

Post by Dalanna » Mon Sep 24, 2007 2:09 am

Yes, but in the newspaper format, you can have a few small articles on various topics rather than having to read an entire book on just one thing.

Consider the paper in real life, Health, sports, science, current news, local events etc. For many of these you can find individual books on just that singular topic. People reading a paper arent looking for a full span of information on a given topic, just a headline and an article. If the article really motivates them they can go dig up a book on it, or research that topic and write a book.

Also the newspapers are current. You won't find a book generally on one incident where someone was arrested for public intoxication. But you might find an article on it in a paper if a reporter found it interesting.

Buba's smithing shop might have been great last month, but this month he could have slacked off and let it all go to rust. A review book wouldnt tell that though, but a newspaper collum might.

Books to me are a larger scale than a newspaper article. News is informative and concise, books are informative and extensive.
Rhianon
Sword Apprentice
Sword Apprentice

Post by Rhianon » Mon Sep 24, 2007 3:14 am

Bravo! Bravo! Now we are talking, this would open up a whole new area for people to pursue! And as far as books go, you have to search all over heck an back to find something, not having a clue where to begin, it gets so frustrating, and time consuming, face it in this day and age we want instant everything, and as long as we are trying to make it as life like as possible might as well have little convienence (sp) (it's late and I am brain dead) could have weekly specials or what not for those who are shop owners. Restaurant criticis, tavern critics, bookstore critics, vendor critics, anything you can imagine could be something to write about........and come one now wouldn't it give Bards a whole other avenue to pursue???? Some one could be the Martha Stewart of FK......LOL! Writing recipes once a month or so on how to use Lamia in a stew, or how to parboil hill giant so it isn't tough and sinewy......or not.....but you get the idea.
Raona
Staff
Staff

Post by Raona » Tue Sep 25, 2007 11:58 am

These are great ideas! It turns out that the Waterdeep News can be edited through the helpfile system, so if you have a submission please get it to a helpfile editor ICly or by PM. I'm happy to take the lead on this, and will try to keep the news changing as new submissions come in. Rejuvenating the news was a to do of mine already, so submissions would be a big help!
Rhianon
Sword Apprentice
Sword Apprentice

Post by Rhianon » Tue Sep 25, 2007 3:52 pm

*hugs* Raona. Could we have several places to purchase papers as well? Seems in todays world almost everywhere you go, you can buy some sort of newspaper. Maybe even a regular newsstand.......I would be willing to do descriptions, I don't have the brain power for coding.
Raona
Staff
Staff

Post by Raona » Wed Sep 26, 2007 10:41 pm

Rhianon wrote:*hugs* Raona. Could we have several places to purchase papers as well? Seems in todays world almost everywhere you go, you can buy some sort of newspaper. Maybe even a regular newsstand.......I would be willing to do descriptions, I don't have the brain power for coding.
I can't speak to this one - though the current paper is certainly Waterdeep focused, and is sold by a very common MOB that roams the city, in addition to being posted in a well-traveled spot. That said, if you have a building idea, run it past fkbuilders@lists.skynet.ie and see what they say!