Questions relating to the Uncoded deities temple area

For the discussion of general topics about the game.
Kelemvor
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Questions relating to the Uncoded deities temple area

Post by Kelemvor » Fri Jan 04, 2008 3:45 pm

Rather than fill the original thread with questions and make the assigning of deities more complicated than it needs to be, please post here all questions pertaining to the project.

Kelemvor
...never send to know for whom the bell tolls,
it tolls for thee.
Nysan
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Nysan » Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:19 am

Dispite the fact that life has limited my time, I am still curious about this project. Any chance we will see already in game items related to some of these faiths reappear in their new temples? The materials with faith markings sold at the UM elemental temples for example? (If vendors are in most temples/shrines)
-Gilain- -Trilev- -Siros-

You do not need to change the world, merely leave it a little better than how you found it.
Kelemvor
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Kelemvor » Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:56 am

Generally, the only items which may 'cross' between areas are those listed in the limbo and Waterdeep areas.

Having an item from Area A load on a mob in Area B is not impossible but building admin preference is for it not to happen.
it tolls for thee.
Nysan
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Nysan » Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:34 pm

So, new items with faith symbols in temple/shrine vendors, if the shrines/temples have vendors? Would be nice to see items here and there with markings of uncoded codes that didn't take a renaming event to attain. :wink:
-Gilain- -Trilev- -Siros-

You do not need to change the world, merely leave it a little better than how you found it.
Sindri
Sword Novice
Sword Novice

Post by Sindri » Thu Jan 17, 2008 4:22 pm

As this is the first time I've designed an NPC, I have some general questions.

When writing PC descriptions we're generally told to write the description without mannerisms, facial expressions, etc. (so that if your character happens to be doing some other action, the description won't be incongruous). We're also advised not to tell people what their impression of your character is (to avoid forcing RP on others). Various NPCs around the game go against both of these rules -- is it okay to give the NPC a little "personality" in the description, or should that be avoided if possible?

You also mentioned that NPCs can wear items from the list you linked to. My impression is that most NPCs have no more than two or three pieces of equipment -- is that a good general limit?
Kelemvor
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Kelemvor » Thu Jan 17, 2008 4:55 pm

Where possible, stick to the same criteria for NPCs as PCs. In game, some license is taken with famous NPCs and some other NPCs have been around a long time and pre-date the 'good practise' rules we now employ.

Wherever possible, describe an NPC no differently than you would a PC, save perhaps where descriptions of clothes or gear are concerned (see below)

You can use the 'long' description (the one you see as you enter the room or whenever you type 'look') to indicate what they are doing.

eg A golden-haired gnome tends the altar here.
or A buxom gnomish lass is mopping the floor here.

An NPC can wear items in several locations and wield weapons and shields. I have a preference for NPCs to wear clothing, but you can leave them unclothed if you wish and describe their appearance in their full description.

I think it's better to have the mob wearing items from within the area or the limbo/Waterdeep list, but up to you.

NPCs have the same number of wear slots as a PC, but can not layer their armour/clothes. So technically you could have them wearing 16 items if you wanted to, but that would be 16 lines of code for me to put into the resets section :)

Personally I would limit the dressing up to no more than four items. Leg and body area and perhaps a weapon or a hat or a piece of jewelery.

Hope that helps, but feel free to post with any other queries
it tolls for thee.
Mele
Staff
Staff

Post by Mele » Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:34 pm

If there is NO information on the looks of the temple you have, are you allowed to pull it completely from your head?
Beshaba potatoes.
Kelemvor
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Kelemvor » Thu Jan 17, 2008 7:34 pm

Yup, if the only reference to the temple is a name and a location and there is no canon description of the temple then feel free to use your imagination.

If you can, look for references to other temples, the forms of celebration or prayer that the deity involves etc and use that in your work. But failing any recorded information you can interpret as you see fit.

If I feel tempted to adjust I'll PM, but the main aim of this is to have fun and having no guidelines may be even more fun than having lots of notes on which to base your descriptions.
it tolls for thee.
Duranamir
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Duranamir » Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:08 am

Can we specify mini quests for these areas ? So for example before selling one of the shiny new items on one of the mobs has we can require the player to do something ?

Duranamir
Kelemvor
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Kelemvor » Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:13 pm

This is a tricky one. I create these areas as a means to get novice builders and non-builders involved, so the expectation is that there will be no quests.

This is gentler on me also as I'm still on a steep learning curve with building myself.

If a quest would be key to your part of the area, then write it up and I'll do my best to see it included.
it tolls for thee.
Larethiel
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Larethiel » Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:04 pm

If we chose to put a druid somewhere into our little builded world...Is it within the borders of the doable things to add an animal companion to them? Treatening it like a NPC with descriptions etc.?

Weit in der Champagne im Mittsommergrün,
dort, wo zwischen Grabkreuzen Mohnblumen blühn,
da flüstern die Gräser und wiegen sich leicht
im Wind, der sanft über das Gräberfeld streicht.
Kelemvor
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Kelemvor » Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:40 am

So long as you're happy to use a vnum up for it, then I've no problem with two mobs in the same room; druid and companion.
it tolls for thee.
Akiren
Sword Bumbler
Sword Bumbler

Post by Akiren » Wed Jan 23, 2008 7:32 am

Hey there,

I have a few questions:

1. Once, I saw an item in Aurora's that is fitting for the inhabitants of the temple to sell or hold, but seeing that Aurora's items are unique, should I recreate it using the item vnum I've been assigned, or not create it at all so that the item remains unique to Aurora?

2. What kind of skills are we allowed to assigned our NPCs to train?

3. I would like to include an NPC that is written in a DnD sourcebook, however I do not have access to the book and thus, I do not know what the character looks like and only have the name. It is possible to use my imagination on this?

Thanks! :)
Pain be your deliverance
Japcil
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Japcil » Wed Jan 23, 2008 7:36 am

Akiren wrote:3. I would like to include an NPC that is written in a DnD sourcebook, however I do not have access to the book and thus, I do not know what the character looks like and only have the name. It is possible to use my imagination on this?
Wizards.com has galleries of all the pics they have in their books. Here is the link:
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/4arch/ag
Akiren
Sword Bumbler
Sword Bumbler

Post by Akiren » Wed Jan 23, 2008 7:47 am

Thanks very much :) Hopefully, the picture will be there.
Pain be your deliverance
Kelemvor
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Kelemvor » Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:39 am

1) If the item was sold in Aurora's it would most likely have been a restrung object. So yes, you'd need to try to replicate it using one of your own vnums

2) You can suggest any skills, weapon skills and spells you feel would be appropriate. But these will be vetted for balance when the area is reviewed. (This particularly applies to new spells, spells of high level, skills normally given only after a quest etc etc)

3) If the NPC is documented in canon, try to source the information you need rather than make it up. If the detail available is sketchy, then imagine away as long as it fits with the faith, region, race etc.
(Feel free to post the name and/or reference book here, I'm sure there'll be someone with a copy or link or even an electronic version)
it tolls for thee.
Akiren
Sword Bumbler
Sword Bumbler

Post by Akiren » Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:52 am

Thanks Kelemvor for clarifying :)

I checked out the website Japcil linked me, and I couldn't find the picture. Maybe there are other books or stuff I don't know about. Appreciate whatever help I can get! :) Thanks :)

The NPC is Lady Kaitlin Tindall Bloodhawk.
Pain be your deliverance
Japcil
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Japcil » Thu Jan 24, 2008 3:28 am

She is referenced on p103 of the Champions of Valor Book. However it is a small paragraph and no picture.
During the Time of Troubles Lady Bloodhawk became the avatar for the Red Knight and led an adventuring band to Tethyr and routed an invading horde of monsters from the region. After this she and her companions gained much fame and gratitude from the Tethyrian people

Thats from the wiki clipping which pretty much mirrors what is in the book.
Kelemvor
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Kelemvor » Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:42 am

Lady Kaitlin Tindall Bloodhawk is the leader of the group of Red Knight faithful known as the Order of the Red Falcon

The Order of the Red Falcon is a group of fighters and paladins dedicated to the service of the Red Knight. From their base just north of Baldur's Gate, the Citadel of Strategic Militancy, they teach tactics, strategy and military history to aspiring officers who seek their teachings

Lawful Neutral Human female 7th level fighter
http://www.theisleofkev.com/files/eberr ... 0Valor.pdf

The site is down at the moment, but you may be able to get a copy of the Champions of Valor from the link above
it tolls for thee.
Akiren
Sword Bumbler
Sword Bumbler

Post by Akiren » Fri Jan 25, 2008 7:01 am

Thanks guys, for all your help :)
Pain be your deliverance