Group skills

For the discussion of general topics about the game.
Dalvyn
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Group skills

Post by Dalvyn » Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:38 am

I posted this idea in a more private forum where it's under discussion, but I thought I would also post it here to see if players can come up with comments, ideas and/or improvements.
In an attempt to promote
  • Charisma as a useful stat, and
  • grouping with other characters as a beneficial choice,
I'd like to suggest the idea of "Charisma-based group skills".

Group skills are not d20-based; they would be skills that can be trained and taught and increased through (passive) practice, and they would affect all the PCs grouped with the character who has the skill (as long as there are at least 2 PCs in the group - i.e., a single PC wouldn't benefit from it). They would be based on classes. The effect/power of group skills would be based on the character's Charisma.

An example of already existing group skill is the rangers' pathfinding.

Examples of group skills:
  • Tactics (fighters). Through short orders and helpful advice, you help the members of your group work better as a team. Grants a bonus from +0 up to +5 to all attack rolls of the party members (depending on the skill level, capped by [Cha] = Charisma modifier).
  • Divine inspiration (paladins). Through faith-inspired words of encouragement, you improve your companions' morale and will to fight on. Grants a bonus from +0 up to +5 to all saving throws (capped by [Cha]).
  • Pathfinding (rangers/druids). You skillfully choose the easiest paths through both wilderness, urban, and underground locales. Grants a reduction in move point cost from -0% up to -80% and a corresponding reduction of lag time (capped by [Cha]*16%).
  • Intuition (priests/druids). Through especially insightful comments about the situations you and your companions experience, you help them gain new insights about the world. Grants a boost in experience gain from +0% up to +50% (capped by [Cha]*10%).
  • Intelligence (wizards). By studying and commenting your companions' actions, you help them gain greater insights from their experiences. Grants a boost in skill gain through practice from +0% up to +50% (capped by [Cha]*10%).
  • Skillful Evasion (thieves). You learnt that, in order to survive, you always need to pay attention to your surroundings and make sure to use every hints and tracks left by your opponents. Using your experience, you help your companions better position themselves to increase their protection. Grants a boost in Dodge AC from +0 up to +5 (capped by [Cha]).
  • Bardic inspiration (bards). Through your stories, songs, and comments, you inspire your companions to greater heroism. Grants a boost in damage from +0 up to +5 (for melee attacks) (capped by [Cha]).
Those benefits would not be cumulative, that is, if two characters with "Intelligence" group up, only the "best" one would apply his Intelligence skill.
Tobias
Sword Master
Sword Master

Post by Tobias » Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:44 am

Sounds nice! but I'd call the fighters part Leadership >.> since that's what they'd be doing! Mmm perhaps base these tactics not just on charisma but perhaps a bit on there wisdom and intelligence as well for there insight and applicable knowledge
I am but a tree te da lee lee
Nedylene
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Nedylene » Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:58 am

That, is absolutely brilliant. LOVE the ideas
Orplar
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Orplar » Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:51 am

Metoometoometooooo *drools*
"Be bold and let your feet guide you upon your own path. With any Luck, you'll wind up in a fabulous place. Work upon your skills, perfect them. You will be rewarded as you want" - Orplar Leafall, Lucks Guide
Vibius
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Vibius » Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:52 am

Priests

Associating each domain with a spell-like ability which can be only used when grouped and can be only used once each day, these abilities have its duration greatly influenced by [CHA], all the members of the group benefit from it

Some examples:

Prowess domain: Bonus to hit/damage
Travel domain: Like freedom of movement
Protection domain: Bonus to AC
Fire domain: Resistance against fire
Trickery domain: Bonus to sneak damage
Knowledge domain: Detect hidden
Destruction domain: Bonus to damage (higher than prowess domain since it adds to hit+damage)
Magic domain: Resistance against magic
Illusion domain: Invisibility
Drow domain: Bonus to reflex saves
Sindri
Sword Novice
Sword Novice

Post by Sindri » Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:32 pm

Could groups of people who know the same trade get a trade skill bonus?

Perhaps the size of the bonus could depend on the group's average charisma (it determines how well you work together).
Vibius
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Vibius » Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:35 pm

That's a wonderful idea Sindri, if a group of characters is mining and one of them has a high skill in mining and somewhat high charisma the other members could get a boost to their mining skill and also would be nice for trades teaching rp.
Jaenoic
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Jaenoic » Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:55 pm

Here is a D20 group-skill for paladins that they gain at lv3:
Aura of Courage (Su)

Beginning at 3rd level, a paladin is immune to fear (magical or otherwise). Each ally within 10 feet of her gains a +4 morale bonus on saving throws against fear effects.
It can be easily modified to effect depending on skill level/charisma I feel. Unfortunately fear is never used in FK so it could be modified to saving throws as Dalvyn suggested.
Velius
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Velius » Tue Jan 29, 2008 3:09 pm

Great ideas! Anyone know a way to fit in a 'Guirilla Warfare' one?
Jysrak Armgo of House Barrison Del'Armgo -MENZO-
Jys/rak: Jys = Hard, steel, unyielding, /rak = Chaos, storm, tempest
Hrosskell
Staff
Staff

Post by Hrosskell » Sat Feb 02, 2008 11:44 am

I like the basics, a lot. It adds distinction to class, as well as something useful from each one. I don't know if you'd like to change the druid one from the priest one or not, that's really up to you. But I'd definitely love to see these go in before any other specifications are made towards group skills in general.
Jamais arriere.